Thread: 2001 Z8 (#61213) Topaz/Black sold at Barrett-Jackson

2001 Z8 (#61213) Topaz/Black sold at Barrett-Jackson

Looks like a Topaz Z8 will be up for auction TODAY, Friday 20 Jan with No Reserve. It's Lot #1043. I don't know if it'll be sold during Speed Channel coverage, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
    My guess is due to the apparent weakness of knowledge the Speed Channel hosts have about BMWs, the Z8 will be sold during a commercial or as they break away for one of their promotional items. It just seems they don't have much, if anything, to say when BMWs come across the stage.
    Hope the new owner is or will be a member of this Board. Good Luck!

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

"M Motorsport suspension" ?????

Z8Mania
    As long as it has the real Corenthian leather we're good.

Jawz was right on the money. They cut and ran as soon as the Z8 approached the stand. I stand to be corrected, as the results may be revised, but they just posted it as sold with buyer's premium for $143,000. If that is true, we should have a few canary feathers falling out of our mouths, particularly compared to the other contemporary cars..
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

How many miles on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    How many miles on it?
    Did not say. It is a 2001 Topaz/Black vin WBAE13421AH61213 if anybody has a carfax account to look it up.
    Charles Guerin

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    That means it sold for $130,000 plus buyer's premium. $130,000 is still a lot.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Pandaman is at the auction this year I believe. Hopefully he checked it out and can give a report.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    But Marty didn't the buyer pay the full freight? This is just 1 data point but as of right now it seems like a non PP , non 2003, non silver or black car sold for some serious money.

I'm going to be putting my Concours winning 2003 car with 8K up for sale for $175K!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8Mania
    Don't take a penny less than $200!

Don't do it Carlos, you just may get it! Jerry, yes, the buyer had to fork over $143,000 to take possession of the car. I agree, it brought top top dollar. I bet it too will be leaving the US. As the "gene pool" of available cars shrinks here in the US, especially nice ones, prices will continue to climb. I am on my way to look at a black/red 2002 Z8 in Malibu for the buyer in London. Another Z8 departing America.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    Tempting to cash out ...
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Nah, life with a Z8 is too much fun!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I agree. With interest rates at near zero, I'll take the Z8. In fact even at 5% I'll take the Z8!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    You guys are absolutely right and I was just kidding anyway.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

seems it did not have a reserve either. Anyone notice that it did not have a performance package?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Correct - no reserve OR PP. I haven't found anything about the mileage. Barrett-Jackson prefers to have only "No Reserve" cars if they can help it.
    I guess the mileage angle doesn't mean much to me anyway since my ALPINA exceeds 51K now. I think you're in the same boat aren't you?

yeah, just over 56K for me. I do not care either as I never plan to sell unless something happens to the car (God forbid). !!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Cool Enjoy it!

You gotta drive !!!! Way over 80K by now - not putting much miles right though due to cold and snow. Using the snow Boxster for daily driving...

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Don't do it Carlos, you just may get it!
    Nah, as tempting as it might be IF I could get that much, I'd miss you guys too much.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8Mania
    Ive got about 29k miles in 11.25 years... Im averaging about 1200 miles a year now. I put about 18k in the first two years

Sport Button On
    The Topez car had 12,205 miles on it on 8/7/05. I recently turned down the silver / red 2001 with 178 miles on it for $118k before the original owner sold it to the dealer that now has it on e-bay. I can't beleive the Topez Barrett-Jackson car brought such a high price.

Lanny

Talking to the guys in my car club whose Lambos and Ferraris are worth 60% of sticker after 4 years makes me feel that much better that I bought a Z8 (not that I would ever sell it!)
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Z8Mania
    They are different things. I like them both. If I could have only one Id stick with my Z8.

Quote Originally Posted by lanny View Post
    The Topez car had 12,205 miles on it on 8/7/05. I recently turned down the silver / red 2001 with 178 miles on it for $118k before the original owner sold it to the dealer that now has it on e-bay. I can't beleive the Topez Barrett-Jackson car brought such a high price.

Lanny
    As a new owner, I'd like to get all excited that a 12k mi. 2002 just sold for $143K. Granted topaz/black is a rare color, but I don't think that was it. Just last year about this time at RM Auctions in AZ, Lot 206, a 2001 blk/blk Z8 (60592) with "less than 19k miles" sold for $83,600, including buyer's premium. Has the market changed that much in a year? I think we can speculate to our heart's content, but the reality is cars sit on ebay and Autotrader for less than $143K.

Not that the market has not fluctuated. I have read through some old threads, and it seems there was a significant dip in 2005 or so, and another when the frame crisis hit. Then another in 2009 after the market crashed. When I was looking then I had a lot of opportunities, but they started to dry up in early 2011. I say early, because I think I have seen the best prices in my limited experience in late summer and fall, but they seem to firm up long before spring begins. I'm probably imagining it all though, but although I see $143K, I have to think there was some auction fever.
    Charles Guerin

Mix two parts alcohol with one part Speed Channel and one part your buddies egging you on and voila, you pay more than a car is worth.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    I think that's it. An auction represents but one data point and often it will represent a data point that's way off the mean. I was helping a friend look for a Z8 last summer and at that time it seemed to us asking prices were firming up- in general they were high 90s-130s depending.

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Mix two parts alcohol with one part Speed Channel and one part your buddies egging you on and voila, you pay more than a car is worth.
    That's it
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Oddly enough though, our favorite friend Keith Martin will be more inclined to take note of the 'outliers' like this and the two new ones that sold at RM last summer since his principal database is auction results and not dealer realized prices, so this could actually be rather good for us in the long term.

I'm still not convinced that the bigger issues with the economy are worked through, my hunch is that we may be in a little lull between financial storms, making these prices a temporary peak. We are still loosing cars to Europe despite the fact the dollar is steadily gaining on the Euro, but at some point that will surely stem the flow? That said with only about a thousand Z8's and Alpinas left in the US, the rarity of our cars is certain to be reflected in long term values going forward.
    Andrew Macpherson

Absolutely correct. The "gene pool" for Z8's is rapidly shrinking here in the US.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Only 1000 in the US? Wow, that's crazy. Once the euro collapses, if we don't follow, it'll be interesting to see how/if the flow reverses. How many Alpinas in the states? Marty? Terry?

Z8Mania
    Andrew, our economy isn't going to feel "good" again until the date reads at least 2020. But the Z8 is at the 10-20 year lull in a collectables life. So basically as the economy is truly getting better the Z8 will be coming out of the worst time for a car becoming a classic.

Z8 Madness
    By 2020, I predict 250K+ for an Alpina and 200K+ for Z8.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

I can wait! But no way I'm selling then. I'll only be deeper in the obsession!

I think the Z8 is the "300SL" roadster of the future. I agree with Tony. Maybe even higher.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Mercedes Benz built a total of 1,400 300SL coupes "gullwings" and 1,858 roadsters for a total of 3,258 cars. BMW built 5,703 Z8's of which 555 are Alpinas. The Z8 is a rare car, the Alpina is a rare Z8! The Z8 has all the right ingredients to take off in value. Just needs a bit more time.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Not to mention it is an incredible car to drive, and not one that I think will ever be left wanting in terms of performance, handling or road ability.

As our all big drives have shown, it is simply a stunning machine to organize a great road trip around. I still go back and look at the pix from Meet in the Middle, Napa, our several Montereys and the Oregon Tour, and it puts a huge smile on my face, the palces we've been and things that we've seen!

I think that as time goes forward one of the reasons to own a Z8 will be to enjoy the great drives that we do here ;-) Well, maybe not, but it's a fun idea anyway!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I think that as time goes forward one of the reasons to own a Z8 will be to enjoy the great drives that we do here ;-) Well, maybe not, but it's a fun idea anyway!!
    No, you got it right.

For me it's become 60% events/friends and 40% car, like meeting you guys this past August in Carmel. I didn't care about having my car with me. I just wanted to hang out for dinner and at the track.

Then there's amazing weekends like last year's Cambria run. There might have been some Z8s there, but the seeing Robbie, the Pismo dunes, and our mad Saturday evening dinner/fun were the big memories.
    thegunguy

Ditto that....

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    No, you got it right.

For me it's become 60% events/friends and 40% car, like meeting you guys this past August in Carmel. I didn't care about having my car with me. I just wanted to hang out for dinner and at the track.

Then there's amazing weekends like last year's Cambria run. There might have been some Z8s there, but the seeing Robbie, the Pismo dunes, and our mad Saturday evening dinner/fun were the big memories.
    The experience that the Z8 has brought is why I will never sell. You guys are the best !!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Team Z8
    Hell, being on the East coast I've missed all those great drives and still feel connected. This really is a remarkable forum. I hope one day to meet many of you; perhaps in retirement with a cross country jaunt in the Z8.
    The best to all, especially Andrew our host.
    Chris

We need an owners map across the country, so you can plan you route. Pony express?

I checked BMW history - no owner currently listed, has an open recall for DME reprogramming (thats an old campaign), only serviced at BMW of Seattle and the warranty history is very limited.

Dana

That's funny it has no listed owner, makes me think it maybe a Bill Gates or Paul Allen car, who else in Seattle would try to hide their identity?
    Andrew Macpherson

My car had the original owner "blacked out" in the BMW database as well, only showing the registration town Hyannis Port, Massachusetts. I even called the selling dealer, and they wouldn't share any info. There are some well known names from that town. I bet I couldn't get my name erased....

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Only 1000 in the US? Wow, that's crazy. Once the euro collapses, if we don't follow, it'll be interesting to see how/if the flow reverses. How many Alpinas in the states? Marty? Terry?
    Ian - No I don't know how many ALPINAS remain in the US, but I wish I knew. Not sure where to go to see if it can be pieced together.

I'd suggest that ultimately BMW AG will have the best overview of the figures, since they'll know what US VIN's turn up at their dealers in Europe for work. The Club has also helped many owners with EU-izing their imports so they have an idea, but not actual hard numbers. My guesstimate of around 1500 cars is based on following the market over the last six or seven years since the dollar got destroyed. The flow really picked up the last three years, and some months litterally every other sale on EBay and Autotrader has been of a car going overseas, it has been incredible to watch the exodus.
    Andrew Macpherson

Out of the 450 Alpinas that originally came to the US I'd say maybe 200 remain. That averages out to four Alpinas per state.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

four per state? That's ridiculous... you better find a RARE car! Alloy SL?

That topaz car was consigned by a dealer local to me (they're across the street from the local BMW dealer). Here's a list of all the cars they sold in Scottsdale:

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/barrett-2012-scottsdale

Wow, it's amazing to see that list, it really looks like people go to those auctions just to spend money!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Wow, it's amazing to see that list, it really looks like people go to those auctions just to spend money!
    Most of them sold for more than the asking price.

Note to self....do not go to auction to buy vehicle.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...e=FL12&ID=r157

Auction America in Ft Lauderdale March 16-18 have a 2002 Z8 listed however no other info at this time.