Thread: Important announcement regarding Dana Caldwell

Important announcement regarding Dana Caldwell

This is a post that I never thought I would write. After 32 years with BMW and the last 22 at Peter Pan BMW I will be leaving my position as Service & Parts Director on February 3rd. This was not an easy decision and I was not looking for a new job, but an opportunity within 15 minutes of my home was presented to me about 4 weeks ago. After much discussion with my family and research on my part I have accepted the position as Service & Parts Director @ Beshoff Motorcars - Mercedes/AMG in San Jose.

Peter Pan BMW has been the best organization I have ever been associated with. I have been treated tremendously well by the Penske Group as well as my General Manager. My employees are some of the most talented people I know and that makes it all that harder to leave. My reasons for leaving are strictly personal quality of life issues, a desire to be closer to home and a bigger part of my family.

I have crossed paths and developed lasting friendships with many of you. I have always considered it my honor to work on your cars and support your passion for BMW.

Matt Carver will still be here to work on your cars (as soon as his leg heals) and I will have a person in place to address any needs you may have. I will also still be happy to facilitate anything that may arise and make sure you are put in proper contact with someone here at Peter Pan BMW.

Once I am in my new position, I will post my contact info. My cell phone will remain the same, only email will be different.

If any of you have Mercedes or AMG needs, I will be able to take care of those as well now!

Again, I thank you for your confidence in myself and my team, I will always love BMW. Its all I've known for my entire automotive career. I'm sure I will grow to like Mercedes as well.

With my deepest respect and gratitude,
    Dana Caldwell

Z8Mania
    Congratulations and best wishes Dana. Its an exciting opportunity.

Dana, this is both joyous and saddening news. I am happy for your new opportunity, especially as it will allow you to spend more time with your family.

Thank you for all that you have done. I think of you so much more than just the guy I take make car to for service. Your formal affiliation with BMW may be ending for now, but I know many of us will always you as part of the Z8 family.

Best wishes.
    thegunguy

That is sad news for all of us indeed, but great news for you and the family, so congratulations on the new post!

Please do keep us posted on all your news, and let us know who will be coming in to replace you.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Dana,
    Wishing you the best and thank you for all that you have done.
    Pandaman

Good luck in your new position !! I can't thank you and Matt enough for all the help you gave me on my purchase and getting my car up to snuff.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Yes, what they said! It's a little scary thinking you won't be there to take such good care of us all. I'm very happy for you, and I can't thank you enough for all you have done... way above and beyond. Good luck, and stay in touch.

Dana - I can't add much more that hasn't already been said. You're support for the Z8 community has been exemplary (dare I say "Legendary"?). You've given us outstanding support going waaaay above and beyond any other dealership I've ever dealt with. You and Matt are the reason I'm willing to drive 900+ miles to have my ALPINA serviced/checked out at Peter Pan. I'm very happy you have a new opportunity and sure you'll knock it out of the park there. Good Luck!

...and just when I was planning my next road trip/visit to Peter Pan from Phoenix.

Congratulations!

Congratulations Dana on your new role!

Thank you for enhancing my Z8 experience by providing exceptional support by making yourself personally available to me or by putting me into contact with the folks on your team. It's been a pleasure having a "car guy" in my court.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Congratulations! It looks like you've made a great decision based on all the right reasons. Thanks for all that you've done to make our Z8 experiences very special. Its been a true pleasure having known you.
    I hope you don't get bored at Mercedes- in the last 10 years of M/B ownership, I've only had my wife's cars in the shop for oil changes. No MAF's, cam sensors, suspension changes, performance packages, soft top strings, exhaust systems, boring, boring, boring (but so is driving it!).
    Best of luck and keep in touch.

Ha! Very good Ken. Luxury cars should be boring, as in predictable, uneventful and reliable. I would never want a "High maintenance" sedan or SUV. That's why I don't get the Quatroporte. All the hassle of a ferrari, without the sex and fun. I have an MB GL450 too... the best driving SUV, but no reason for me to drive an hour to get it serviced by Dana unfortunately. My local dealer is good enough.

Funny how so many of us have boring Benz's as daily drivers! I'm very grateful that mine is so ?ber reliable, as I do really like it for what it has to do, potter round town with me and the pups, and the odd run to the beach for a location shoot. The only downside is the 90% depreciation which means I'm planning to keep it forever now, as I just can't get my head around loosing that much money when I sell!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Sorry to see you leave BMW but it seems like you have made the right choice. And my 2011 C63 AMG is an AWESOME car!!!! I think you will like working at a MBZ dealer but Peter Pan can never replace you, JMHO.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Dana, while you will be greatly missed as our trusted Z8 expert I assume that your knowledge about our cars will remain a permanent asset for you that we hopefully may count on in the future if the need arises.

Looking at what BMW has up its sleeves and currently on display at BMW World in Munich your decision to jump ship is understandable.

Besides, quite a few of our group have been reaching for the stars themselves for various reasons. Like Marty, I love my AMG.

Thank you for all you did for our group and for my Z8 in particular. See you over at the AMG private lounge.

Christian.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Hi Dana, Thanks for everything over the past few years and good luck with your new job at Beshoff Motorcars.
    We may drop by with the '58 Mercedes Benz 219 Ponton which I am currently getting ready for the Peking-Paris Motor Challenge 2013 and plan on driving it cross country in the spring of 2013 before shipping it to China to make our trip a true "around the world" event. Still looking for sponsors, so if Beshoff is interested, feel free to give me a call once you are comfortably settled into your new chair.

Again, Good Luck !
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Dirk, what an amazing experience! Please keep us in the loop as the car and event progress. When you drive out, you must come visit.

Dirk, I might join in with you for the stretch to SFO. My 1958 220S interior refurbishing is to be finished in a few days. Now I am debating what to do with the exterior. Leave it as is and enjoy the ride or start messing with dings, paint, chrome, hardware? Your thoughts?

Please post a few pics of your Ponton.

Christian

Z8Mania
    Thats beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAchterbahn View Post
    Dirk, I might join in with you for the stretch to SFO. My 1958 220S interior refurbishing is to be finished in a few days. Now I am debating what to do with the exterior. Leave it as is and enjoy the ride or start messing with dings, paint, chrome, hardware? Your thoughts?

Please post a few pics of your Ponton.

Christian
    Hi Christian - That would be great fun to drive together from TX to CA in the Pontons.

Your car looks fine to me, at least on the picture. A nice interior is important because that is what you see yourself and makes you feel good when you're cruising. Exterior restoration (body, paint, chrome) ..... depends on how bad it is, how you want your cars to be, how you use them, showing vs. driving and most importantly how much you are willing to spend. If it is not too bad and you can live with it, my advice is to leave it alone, do not open the can of worms. That's what I did with the 190SL, and what do I have ? A shelf full of trophies and a car that I'm too scared to drive because it may get dirty or even worse, get a scratch ! .... and restoration invoices that are greater than the market value of the car.

Pictures of my 219 Ponton (before we took it totally apart) are in this album:
    http://gallery.me.com/dirkdegroen
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Dirk, what an amazing experience! Please keep us in the loop as the car and event progress. When you drive out, you must come visit.
    Ian - Will do !
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Thank you, Dana for all that you've done for me and my car.
    Wish you all the very best. :-)

Dana,

Thanks again for all your assistance.
    Please forward your new contct info.

Kevin

Z8 Madness
    Dana,

Thank you for all your service to us. I got a set of Motorsport wheels and tires from you years ago and you made the entire experience fun and easy.

Wish you the best at your new job.
    62050 - Z8

Dana, Thank you so very much for all you did for me and all of us these past years. Congrats on the new position and hope it works out for you and your family !! Thanks again.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Today is Dana's last day!

Thanks for everything, and good luck in the new spot!!
    Andrew Macpherson

I'm taking the X5 in tomorrow. This will be my first visit in the post-Dana era.
    thegunguy

Let us know how it is.
    Andrew Macpherson

Well, you asked, and unfortunately I don't have a glowing report for my first post-Dana service at Peter Pan. The X5 was in for a faulty airbag sensor in the passenger seat and one of the low-beam xenons had quit one day but been working ever since. They replaced the seat sensor, but they could never recreate the issue with the light - no biggie.

All of this was fine, but when I picked up my car it was not returned clean as per usual. Once realized that the car was not washed or vacuumed, they offered to do it, but I was in hurry to make an appointment. A few days later I even found some random hat in the car, which I can only guess was from one of the guys servicing the car.

However, my big issue is what happened heading south on the 101 immediately after leaving Peter Pan. My hood popped up from the wind. It was only to the safety catch, but at freeway speeds, you can imagine my calm panic at seeing the hood pop up an inch. I was able to safely slow and exit to shut the hood. So, either the tech didn't properly shut the hood or it was released at some point and not opened, but this is pretty scary stuff.

On the plus side, I had one of the turbo 4 528s to use as a loaner. While the engine isn't as thrilling as the old 6, it has good power and great mileage (combined of about 26 for me). The auto-stop feature on the engine is a bit of adjustment. All iDrive demons have been fully exercised. It's a great system now - only took the better part of a decade.

Since I don't have Dana to report back to, I just waited to receive the inevitable email survey to report my experience. I certainly hope that this is not normal going forward as Dana's position is filled. I continue to have the greatest confidence in using Peter Pan for specific Z8 support, but this last visit has me wondering if I should use a closer location for service rather than driving to the Peninsula for the X5. I'm going to have to think on it.

I might call Matt to check in.
    thegunguy

do you think this has anything to do with Dana's replacement being out for a fractured ankle and no actual service manager is around?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Matt isn't taking over for Dana. He's still our lead Z8 tech. He should be back this week.

The last I heard that they were interviewing candidates, and the parts manager is overseeing operation for now.

There's no way I can know if it's anything to do with Dana being gone, but you'd hope that this isn't the norm, especially not having my hood latched.
    thegunguy

have fun with the survey and the badgering you will get if you don't give a perfect score - ick

I'm taking the Z8 in tomorrow for the annual inspection, fluids, etc. I'm also getting the Conti DW put on with a fresh alignment.

Even though Matt is pretty much taking the lead on Z8 customers, I'm going to ask to meet Dana's recently inducted replacement. According to Matt, they promoted the guy that was running parts.

I'll report back...
    thegunguy

Check on my car!

Will do. What are you having done?
    thegunguy

April must be black Z8 month at PPBMW. I'm in the queue for next Monday, 23 April 2012, for an oil change, 5-year belt check/replacement, and PP.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

? Bumper brace installed
    ? Oil/etc service
    ? Steering wheel squeaky noise resolved (some rubber or plastic or? mounting ring between the wheel and steering column?)
    ? Smog cert.
    ? Trying to trouble shoot cold-start roughness/misfire issue (no word yet on this one)
    ? Slow leak in HRE wheel (tank it etc)

Bob Gee is the new Service & Parts Director. I hired Bob in 1989 as a part counterman and he worked his way up thru the ranks. He has prior experience as a Service & Parts Director with BMW. He was also the Center Operator at BMW of Monterey for several years. I expect that he will provide excellent service. Also, my step brother, Brock Keck is the service manager. He was in that position while I was there as well. Both Bob and Brock are well aware of the importance of Peter Pan's relationship with the Z8 group.

They know to contact me with any questions that they have regarding Z8 service. Matt Carver is there as well to address your service needs and questions.

Hope all is well with everyone, I miss you all!

Dana

Z8 Novice

10 year sevice

Went to Peter Pan and finally had my performance package put in with 6700 miles
    The service by Matt Carver was outstanding and he makes Peter Pan look good
    The car was in great shape in spite of being 10 years old
    Thanks Matt