Thread: Flat Tire Assistance

Flat Tire Assistance

Once again starting to research new tires for the upcoming driving season which brings to mind our problem of no spare tire. I currently have BMWCCA Premier membership which offers towing, but roadside assistance is being discontinued upon renewal.
    Does anyone recall hearing about BMW offering lifetime roadside assistance for those cars without spares?
    Here is an offer from Michelin which may swing my decision:
    3-Year Flat Tire Changing Assistance

A qualified service professional will change your flat or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 150 miles for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

Now to decide whether to upgrade to the Alpina suspension first....Can that be done leaving the original 18" wheel size?

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    Now to decide whether to upgrade to the Alpina suspension first....Can that be done leaving the original 18" wheel size?
    Yes, without a problem!
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Z8Mania
    Ken you should have AAA plus. Its simply the best service Ive found.

When you do the Alpina suspension upgrade, you need to add stiffer anti roll bars- many of us have the Dinan ones but I believe they are out of production. If you do get the Dinan ones- they are adjustable and you should use the stiffest settings.

My flat tire assistant is the ContiComfortKit by continental. It consists of a pump which fits on the cigarette lighter and a repair foam that gets injected in the tire without any manual intervention to seal most common flat tire issues. The pump allows to inflate the tire back to its normal operating pressure and drive at up to 50mph to get the tire permanently serviced. Luckily I never got to test it in actual conditions but I do like the concept. This kit sells in Europe but I am sure it can be found in the US and I know other tire manufacturers offer similar devices. This one has the benefit of storing nicely and out of sight next to the Z8 battery.

------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

And of course BMW sells the M Mobility kit, since they sold M cars with non-run-flats: a can o' goo, a compressor, and thou beside the road in the wilderness... ah, wilderness were paradise now!

The only time I've had a problem with tires in the Z8 in the last 16 years, was when this happened. Sadly, the mobility kit would have had a hard task to work with a bent wheel, and I had no cell service at the spot this occurred.

The run-flats worked great to get me to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    The only time I've had a problem with tires in the Z8 in the last 16 years, was when this happened.
    Oh yes, good times.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

One could argue that perhaps the wheel would not have bent so much if at all with non run flat tires...

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    The only time I've had a problem with tires in the Z8 in the last 16 years, was when this happened. Sadly, the mobility kit would have had a hard task to work with a bent wheel, and I had no cell service at the spot this occurred.

The run-flats worked great to get me to civilization.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Too bad you couldn't rent a white van and drive to a local owners house to borrow a wheel ;