Thread: A great video of the Z8's at Thunderhill

Thumbs up A great video of the Z8's at Thunderhill

This is a fun vid Norcal put together from what was our final driving day of the Oregon 'Volcano Tour' from 2010.

Watching this vid really brings home what incredible cars these are. After ten days and 1500 miles we just jump onto a track, and spend four hours tearing round in circles without any special prep, and the cars never missed a beat.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Well almost..... I did cook my brakes, and did throw a code!! Since then I got the Brembos installed, and had a cam sensor replaced. The video is a bit hack, but WTF? I'm still just learning iMovie.

On my last little drive I think I discovered that the Z8 is a trigger that is better squeezed than pulled.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Care to elaborate Charles?

Ok. A few years ago I went to M5 school for a day. Most of the time we bombed around in second gear, so I learned how the suspension handled, but not much about the engine and tranny. I also just went to Autoweek Fantasy camp and we tested sticks that ranged from a rubber band on a Honda Accord to literally on-off on a Mustang Boss 302. One car you could not race. The other car you could do nothing but. Bottom line I am just learning the Z8, and I have not driven a car with so much power as much as you guys have.

I also watched the Buttonwillow video that Andrew posted on the Vimeo page, and I noticed that the S62 is much more American that I thought. The driver never punched or revved the car. It was all very smooth. No screaming engine hp, lots of mid level torque. Sounds easy.

Taking my buddy who helped get my hardtop off for a spin the other day, I started to punch the gas for maximum "trigger pulling" effect. I noticed the car sputtered quickly. The Z8 redlines in an instant. So you are better off squeezing the throttle through 1-4 gears. Maybe as I get more familiar with the car, the cadence from throttle to shifter will be quicker and more natural. Or maybe I waited until I was too old to get the car.

Next thing I noticed was that 4-5 and 5-6 are a completely different story. You better be off that clutch fast before the gas or you will have this really slow engagement that makes you think you have a really loose clutch.

So like other BMW sticks I have driven, you can move the car an inch in first gear without trouble, but otherwise first gear is is not a place to dally, and if you are trying to move fast, you're must move out of it fast. Moving up the gears is best learned by getting the right amount of gas to the right revs and switching gears, rather than punching and pushing to redline. Better to squeeze the trigger than just pull it, like you might a dragster.

Not that I know, but I would imagine more racer exotics can be pushed a different way, but then again they can't turn the corner and cruise so easily at 40 mph in 4th, or pass with all kinds of pull in 6th. I have always thought that nameless British car personality that panned the Z8 for trying to be too many things got it right. He just didn't realize that 99% of the population needed a performance car that could adapt to any type of driving experience and do it well. Another run I had with my wife involved constant speeds of 40 or 60 or 70, which the Z8 is natural at holding.

Anyway, within a few minutes of "showing off" to my buddy I discovered the better thrill was a steady move through the gears, squeezing the throttle without pushing the revs ahead of the gears. I still need some work on 4 and 5 to feel I am on the road to progress. Right now I think you don't even go there unless you intend a steady run at higher speed while preserving the ability to pass effortlessly. You can go pretty darn fast in 4th before you even need the top two gears.

With experience it will all happen faster, but I think I still will be squeezing the throttle, rather than punching it. What do you think?
    Charles Guerin

My dad was a race car driver and motor journalist, so I grew up with many conversations about the art and craft of driving, and as a kid sitting next to him in a whole series of amazing cars I really learnt the best way to go fast is slowly. Being smooth and calm beats frantic and flustered all the time, but that said the Z8 doesn't have the best gear spacing, 1-2 is too short, 2-3 and 3-2 is too far apart, but 3,4 & 5 are perfectly spaced, and that's where I spend most of my time.

Do a search here for Clutch Delay Valve, or CDV, you'll find it's what is slowing your shifts.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks for the illumination... Great stories. Andrew got it right, while "punching it" is a hoot, smooth is the answer, and with that the Z8 is in it's element. But, I have been known to overdo it! BTW, that was me driving the camera car at Thunder Hill. It's hard to tell, but we were moving very quickly most of the time... often at the limit of tire adhesion (plenty of noise, and expensive black stuff left on the track surface). While you can argue that it isn't a great track car, I REALLY love it. I felt just a bit sorry for the two (modern) hotrod Audis that were there with us that day... they didn't stand a chance against our "open top hair dresser cars"!

Yes, the Z8 may not be a great track car, but it's a blast to drive it at the track!!

PS: Talking tracks, this was really a fun thing to do - http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=2188
    Andrew Macpherson

Do a search here for Clutch Delay Valve, or CDV, you'll find it's what is slowing your shifts.
    I think it may be the HDV (Human Delay Valve). Peter Pan removed the CDV. I had the same experience when I bought my 320i new. You figure out what is intended with the shifts with patience over time. This car is in a whole different league and demands a lot more concentration to "get on it". In typical and even spirited driving though it shares the same DNA with my daily driver. The rest will come in time, but a lot of the fun is in the discovery. It helps to watch those more seasoned. Thanks for posting!
    Charles Guerin