Thread: What's going on?

Z8 Novice

What's going on?

I've been looking at the market for approximately 1 year and there's usually 1-3 cars available nationwide. All of a sudden, I've found 5 pages with 48 cars listed on auto trader! Asking prices seem to be up but there is quite a lot of variability with that also. Is there something I'm not seeing? Also, there's a dealer in La Jolla CA that has 18 of them listed. Is he hoarding them or are people dumping them due to the economy? Just curious... Eventually, I'm going to find the right one for the right price!!!

John

Maybe the crummy economy has a lot to do with it?

The La Jolla dealer......is he just duplicating other listings already out there?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I just checked and there are 22 on AutoTrader. I have seen in the low 30's down to 10 or so. There are also usually about 5 - 15 on ebay. The LaJolla dealer, Sports Car Company usually has several. There are other places to check. I am a recent buyer and am pretty current on what's out there and what appears to be moving. The only macro trend I see is that the Euro is down, so they are not buying as many. Where are you in TX?

I ony see 22 on AutoTrader - link and I'm always keeping an eye open, so I think things are about where you'd expect for open top summer cars just before the holidays.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    I'm in Lubbock. I just thought it was a little bit peculiar when I've been trying to watch this market and all of a sudden this spike. I bet the uncertainty in the Euro has them as nervous about the economy as we are. Is that dealer mentioned a reputable one or a "stay away from"? We have dealers like this in our Porsche turbo group that just find a niche car and can support it pretty well and are usually extremely knowledgeable about them.

Thanks a bunch guys for your input.
    John

I'm not sure how you conclude there's only been "1-3" cars previously this year. We've had at least double that number in the For Sale sections on this site, and my occasionally checks of Autotrader, eBay, duPont, etc. generally show a couple dozen non-overlapping cars. Sports Car Company in La Jolla is currently only carrying 8 cars. Scottsdale, another frequent dealer with inventory, only has 1 right now.

As the other guys have noted, Autotrader.com only shows 22 cars when I do a search.

Can tells us where you're finding all these cars? None of us that track this stuff regularly seem to be seeing any sort of spike or anything out of the normal.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    I just brought it up on the web and glanced at the numbers a couple of days ago. Can't remember the site but thought it was auto trader. No big deal. I'm just happy there's some out there to look at it. I was at one time ready to put $ down and every time I'd get close to buying, somebody would swoop down and buy it. Everybody here recommends a prebuy but it appears that these were being bought sight unseen!

As they say, "he who hesitates, is lost"... I guess I'm lost.

John

Z8 Novice
    Figured it out! There were other bimmers on the autotrader (?) site put into the Z8 area even though I narrowed it down to just Z8's. I'm a dummy

No worries. Was concerned we were missing some major Z8 market place.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    I don't think I'm going to be happy until I get one of these . My turbo is nice with neck breaking speed/acceleration but also very rough riding and common relative to the Z. I've looked at the new 6 (after having an M6), but I just keep coming back to these. Just wish our economy would stabilize a little.

John

The stock Z8 is also quite rough riding, to get a super smooth ride you either want to get an Alpina, or one of the Z8's that has the EU Alpina suspension installed, it is a night and day change to the ride.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I must say that I LOVE the way my Alpina drives. Also, it seems Alpinas rarely come up for sale and when they do they sell quickly and usually to overseas buyers. I was contacted through the forum by a buyer in Europe who wanted to buy my car. His offer was $27,000 higher than what I paid for the car in June. I think all Z8's will continue to go up in value but it seems that even in this economy the Alpinas are on fire. By the way I turned down his offer. I love the car and have no desire to sell it.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe