Thread: Have you guys seen this?

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Have you guys seen this?

I came across this site tonight looking at wheels; you all probably have seen it but...
    www.k-lach.net it is from the BMW AG site I believe, and it SHOWS all the wheels that are made or were made I guess. Can you guys tell me if "style number 89" will fit the z, its NOT the ALPINA 4 spoke but its close using 3 spokes and then I do not have to change the suspension out right now, thanks, Max

I believe that's the wheel from the E65 760. Not sure of the offsets, but it's likely a pretty heavy wheel.
    thegunguy

Ok Gun, educate me!

I see you guys talking weights of the tire/wheel combo's all the time; what is so important about the weight, is it simply for tracking, increaseing speeds pushing less weight, or is it more physics/engineering and has to do with the wheel and the number of revolutions, etc, thnx! Max

A wheel in motion is a gyroscope, the faster it spins the more it's weight is multiplied by the gyro effect, the lighter the wheel the less the gyro effect, and the more nimble the steering. That massively improves the steering response and handling in fast transitions, which of course tend to show up more at the track. However I have pretty heavy rims now, but the way I drive the Z8 it isn't a problem, it's a GT, not a boy racer.

I met with the guys at HRE last weekend, and spoke to them about making up a 19" Z8 replica rim. I'll have some costs soon, but in principal they said they would do it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Oh my g-d!

Andrew, I could hug your neck; if you can make this happen, that is the ultimate wheel IMHO!!!! and no changing the suspension out right now..............Max

Z8Mania
    That would be pretty cool Andrew. Yes. FWIW, I believe the wheels off the 7 use a different offset so they could not be used.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    A wheel in motion is a gyroscope, the faster it spins the more it's weight is multiplied by the gyro effect, the lighter the wheel the less the gyro effect, and the more nimble the steering.
    also...wheels are so-called "unsprung weight". Unsprung weight is any weight on the car that is not separated from the road by the suspension springs. Besides the wheels, unsprung weight also includes the brakes, the uprights, half the control arm weight, etc.

Unsprung weight is especially critical because the unsprung weight has to move up and down rapidly to follow the contour of the road. Keeping unsprung weight as low as possible reduces inertial forces and results in better contact between rubber and the road. Simply put...low unsprung weight means better grip on a bumpy corner.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

There are also the inertial considerations. The heavier the wheel, the more energy it takes to change state (speed up, slow down).

Basically, just study Colin Chapman.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    That would be pretty cool Andrew. Yes. FWIW, I believe the wheels off the 7 use a different offset so they could not be used.
    Jerry, my 101 motorsport wheels were option for 760. The part number belongs directly to 760. I think any wheel fits to 760 will fit to Z as well.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing