Thread: Recommendation for southern California service and PPI

Recommendation for southern California service and PPI

Does anyone have any recommendations for good service centers in southern California to do an initial inspection (PPI) followed by Z8 service thereafter? So many independent BMW service centers that I have contacted seem to know precious little about the Z8.
    Thanks.

What area are you in?

The two most trusted service providers are Dana Caldwell with Peter Pan in the Bay Area, 650 294 2123 or Ernesto Heredia at Irvine BMW in the OC, 949 380 1200.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    What about the Los Angeles area???

Sadly I really can't recommend any...

the dealers in Greater LA may have good technicians tucked away back there, but they all present themselves as 'quantity shops' and not enthusiast shops. They tend to have high staff turnover, and lack consistency of service, so you'll never know the name of the guy who works on your car, or be able to develop a long term relationship of the kind that I am looking for as part of my ownership experience.

I monitor the posts about dealers from the M5 & M3 Boards to see who might be a good in the 310/213/323/818, but all our local shops have black marks of one kind or another against them. Sad to say that the independent shops also have a lot of black marks too, even the ones with good CCA affiliation. However it doesn't mean it will be your experience, but I'd rather not risk it with my babies!

I just drove my new-old Z8 the 480 miles from LA > SF to get it's first full check up at Peter Pan, but that was because I had a one day job in SF with a spare day either side to do the driving. I felt it was kismet, so I couldn't resist making the long haul up some of the very the best roads in the world to get a check up and service! I had only had the car three days, and it was a perfect way of getting to know each other!
    Andrew Macpherson

I've had the Eisenhaus race exhaust and the clutch delay valve fitted by Avus Auto Sport in Glendale. They also replaced a faulty fuel vapor pump that was causing my engine maintenance light to come on.

I've had a good experience with them and have not heard anything bad either.

I used Avus with no problems in the past,

they did some work to my first Z8 and my M3smg which I was very happy with.
    They are a Dinan supply house too, which is good, and also are affiliated with the BMW CCA. However I haven't been there for around 2 years myself, so can't give a current assessment of the Z8 situation.

NB: Before going to any shop I would suggest doing a Google search on them to check customer feedback on the other message boards.
    Andrew Macpherson

Just did a bit of digging around using google. The result of which has left me rather saddened:

There are a mixture of positive posts and negative posts (some rabidly so). It really seems to highlight both the good and the bad sides of using the web as a research tool.

I'm all for free speech, but the fact that a very high percentage of the authors of the negative posts were doing so whilst hiding behind a pseudonym, really bothers me. Furthermore people, in general, never seem to take the time to publish their gratitude for a job well done and seem to be all too quick to publish a criticism. Ergo: one will end up with a pool of comments that is somewhat skewed towards the negative.

Some of the "criticisms" may be warranted - unfortunately we'll never know for sure. One thing is for certain: the posts will sit there published in cyberspace for all to see - ad infinitum.

On a lighter note: It kind of reminds me of the old cartoon of two dogs typing at a computer with one saying to the other "this internet thing is really great - no one knows you are a dog".

Sorry if this is somewhat off topic,

Carl.

Carl, I'm with you all the way on this.....

one never knows if the rabid posters are honestly grieved, or simply fools driving bangers that should have been condemned to Davy Jones's locker long ago, and really did need the work/cost/consequence that the complaints are about.

However a lot of complaints do raise a question mark, and a lot of complaints on a similar theme do indicate the possibility of a pattern, and that is why I say be sure to do the research, then use your best judgement and make up your own mind.
    Andrew Macpherson

So Cal BMW

I had my frame kit installed at Shelly BMW in Buena Park, which not far from the Los Angeles area, on my 2003 Z8. They seemed to do a good job with this installation and looked my car over very carefully. They did the smog recall update and did some non-required service, as a courtesy, on my car. I will take it back to them for the 10K service, when it turns that. I do my own oil changes every 2500 miles and the car presently has 8500 miles. I would recommend them for any normal BMW service and will take my car back to them.

You might want to call Ben Mirzania, production manager, at 714 249-2334 and speak with him with regards to your car.

Good luck all

Hap

Anyone have experience with GT International in West Los Angeles?

I've heard good things about them on the M5 forum. My Peake code reader shows faults OA and OF, which are the exhaust cam position sensors (CPS). This is a relatively straightforward job - so perhaps a good one to try out someone new. I have not been pleased with Santa Monica BMW.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler
    '01 Titanium

I know nothing about GT International, and sadly I've only heard bad things about SM BMW over the years, though I have no personal experience there.

I'm taking my car into Bimmer Clinic this week for it's yearly fluid flush, adding the new exhaust, dust free brake pads, and hard polyurethane steering bushings. Havenhurstkid, who is our team guru for all things automotive in LA, takes his cars there, and there is no higher recommendation than that! I'll pop up a post once I pick up my car, and let you know my experience.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    I have had very good service from Bob Smith BMW in Calabassas. They have honored "warranty" work far beyond the warranty period. Paul is the only service advisor who understands the Z8 and he works with one mechanic there who really seems to know the car.

Bob Adler

Thumbs up GT International in West L.A.

I can recommend GT International (GTI) for service if you live in West L.A. and are looking for a convenient indy. After years of disappointment at Santa Monica BMW, I took it to GTI for replacement of the 4 cam position sensors. Overall, I was pleased with all aspects of the service experience. They have deep experience on the S62 engine from the M5 crowd, and seemed very knowledgable and enthusiastic about the Z8. Their labor cost is $125/hr and parts markup was about 15% over the cost of the sensors on Pelicanparts.com. They also replaced the gas shocks that hold up the trunk lid. The old ones had lost their pressure and I was tired of the lid falling on my head.

Tyler
    '01 Titanium