Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent Repair

3 14.29%
  • BMW Dealer

18 85.71%

Thread: Service and repairs

Service and repairs

If you had a very reputable independent repair shop in your area specializing in European cars (BMW, Porsche, Audi, and Volvo) with factory certified/trained mechanics, would you go to have scheduled maintenance and repairs done or are you die hard dealership customer?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

It's all about the people, their passion and level of expertise. There are almost no dealerships I'd take the Z8 to because with the exception of Peter Pan, most of them don't really know the car. It is a ten year old oddity, and very few of the guys trained on them are still working on them at the service centers, so I'd hunt out people who really know the cars and use them regardless of whether they're part of the dealership network or independent.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I too am a "it depends" guy. Experience is key for me.

There are probably more than a few independents that have way more S62 experience than most BMW stores. For Z8 specific things, it's just tough to find many go-to service experts.

It might be a good idea to start building a list of known locations that have VERY GOOD Z8 experience and service. We'd need some guidelines though as even recommendations from this group couldn't come with any sort of guarantees.
    thegunguy

It already exists here - http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=366&referrerid=2

Overal I'd say it's worth shipping the car to Peter Pan, do the work there then spend some time enjoying the roads and scenery in California! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Im it depends also. The thing is my dealer still has the person who was trained by BMW to work on the Z8 so I keep going there. If he left for an independent I might follow him.

Andrew, should we turn the lead post in to a list like the wheel/tire thread?
    thegunguy

Sounds like a good plan, maybe by area and date?
    Andrew Macpherson

Yeah, I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe talk it over with the guys tomorrow morning to get some thoughts from the group.

I'm walking out to pull the other Eisenmann.
    thegunguy

I voted "Dealer" but have used independent too (mostly before Dana).

Are you proposing a list of "Preferred providers"? Dealers and independent?

Z8 Madness
    I voted dealer. Irvine BMW has been OK. They put their most experienced mechanic to work on the car. On maintenance issues, they are fairly good. On PP installation, they could never get the headlight alignment and fit right. I have concluded they are simply incapable of doing that. But to be honest, I'm not too excited about independent shops either.

For anything major, I would go to Peter Pan.
    62050 - Z8

Austin, TX
    i would find it very valuable to view a running list of mechanics who are z8 experienced and reputable. i can start with a dealer who you should NOT take your z8 to and that would be BMW of Austin! too much to say in this post about them but i would be happy to explain in detail why you should stay far away from those guys. still looking for a replacement...

In Oklahoma, BMW of Tulsa is the only place to have a Z8 serviced, maintained or even rebuilt (if you recall, they rebuilt a Z8 Alpina that was flood damaged a few years ago and it is still on the road here in Tulsa !! -- Not my car , thank god !)

The independent shops here really are not knowledgeable enough to be trusted with anything other than basic repairs such as brakes, etc.

The BMW of Tulsa Service technicians (there are two) and have attended Z8 training and are excellent and have done many things for me over the years and I would recommend them highly !!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

LLZ8
    I just posted a thread about BMW of Westchester in White Plains, NY. The Z8 tech is John Warren and he was great. I would love to know about other good shops/dealers who really know Z8s in the Long Island, NY area.

Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

Z8 Novice
    If you live around the Houston area it would be a pleasure to work on your Z8. Yes , I am trained on the Z8.

ST038Z8 COMPLETE VEHICLEMay 29, 2001

Anyone can email anytime at [email protected] . Have done Z8s for a LONG time.

Larry Nissen
    Advantage BMW of Clear Lake
    Shop Foreman