Thread: Has anyone recovered the seats?

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Has anyone recovered the seats?

As most of you have commented the leather has become rather stiff and to me does not seem to have been of the highest quality leathers but maybe it was for its time ; maybe I am wrong on this. Has anyone recovered the seats and how close a match was it; did an indy shop or BMW do the job, just thinking if this car becomes a long term keeper this task could be on my list. I saw where some folks have used leatherique to restore the leather, I just don't like the simple look(no contrast stitching, for example) and slippery feel,no real texture I guess, thanks, dog

This is a maintenance issue, not a BMW leather issue. I've used Leatherique since new (on all my BMWs) and the leather is supple and not at all slippery. I do it twice a year.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

As most of you have commented the leather has become rather stiff
    I've never heard of anyone complianing about their leather getting stiff?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post

I am the opposite of dogdoc97 on this. I like the simple look. I am not sure I have seen a stock BMW with contrasting stitching, and while it may look more like other high performance cars, it just would be too far from stock for me. Other BMW's have a more stippled like leather and I suppose that would be fine. My wife's 2002 530i has it and the leather looks nice with vitually no care. However her car is not a convertible. The nicest thing about the Z8 leather to me is that it is both smooth, but with a matte rather than shiny finish. There is a good post on treatments that I think will preserve the matte look, but they look pretty intense. Does the Connolly system keep the matte look, or make the leather shiny?

Wink

The matt look is part of the silicone impregnation, which is a double edged sword. It keeps the water out, but it also keeps out any kind of conditioner, so it makes the leather very difficult to upkeep.

Until I really understood the silicone and how it works, and breaks down I used the Connely stuff, but it really just sits on the surface, as it can't impregnate it. Now I use Kiwi black silicone shoe polish on mine once a year, it is specially formulated to help sit on top of and preserve the silicone. Other than that I just wipe down with the BMW leather cleaner, but the proces of polishing it is a huge pain, and takes a full morning to do.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 doc mentioned the leather getting stiff too over time...

from the archives I found,thought there were a few others as well, regardless, thanks...have a great Holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Does the Connolly system keep the matte look, or make the leather shiny?
    I am not positive. It was recommended by a premier car detailer on the Ford GT forum. Pictures were posted and it looked a bit labor intensive but it did not make the FGT leather look shiny, which was their objective.

I have not used it yet. The Sparco seat (FGT) leather is very similar to the Z8 leather. Fine and soft with a non shiny surface.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

My high-wear areas have gotten rather shiny. I have not tried treating them in a couple years... need to do that.

Z8Mania
    The sides of the outside of my drivers seat bolsters are cracking on me. I do perform leather maintenance but not that regularly- to me its simply bound to happen and it doesn't bother me. I use the BMW leather product as I remember hearing stories of people stripping off the silicone that Andrew mentions above.

Im with Charles on the contrasting stitching- though the new 1 series M does feature black alcantara with orange contrast stitching and I believe thats the only way the interior comes. However on the Z8 I don't think it would work.

Max, I think the stock seats themselves are really just OK, they look cool but don't really hold you that well in cornering. I know a few people who have replaced the stock seat with something more sporty- probably from Recarro. I think if you wanted to make the effort, then its worth considering starting with a whole new seat. Of course if you are doing that then I think you should first do the suspension

You can also buy the bottom leather, back leather, bottom foam and back foam each separately from BMW . I had to estimate it when I looked atpotential cars to purchase that had crushed driver's side bolsters or cracked leather. It is expensive, but not as bad as I thought.

Z8 Mania...

I would agree, if I was going to spend some $$$ I would rather do the suspension first! Max

So my seats have an "outline" on them?

My mobile touch up guy came out on Saturday to touch up the trim without replacing it all, scuff marks on the door, etc, got it all off and he noted that what I thought was a watermark on the passenger seat is actually showing ON BOTH SEATS, when you feel it is as if the factory rolled the extra leather under, or folded it back underneath; you can feel the cloth in the outline; most bizarre...not worth redoing it now since their are no tears etc. Anyone noted this on their car? Max