Thread: Euro wing mirrors.

Euro wing mirrors.

For any of you who have thought of swapping out the mirrors to get a wider view of the world behind, here are some pix that show how much wider that view is. The top picture clearly illustrates the wide angle view of the EU mirror on the right compared to the US one on the left.

EU mirror part numbers: 51 16 7 011 725 & 51 16 7 011 726

The mirrors are held inplace by a simple 'pop on - pop off' set of plastic clips, it took me less than two minutes to make the swap.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Are you still happy with the mirrors, now 3 years later? Is the EU part number a BMW number? Another vendor??

Thanks!
    Kerry

Having used both sets IMHO the EU version is much safer.

Those are the BMW part numbers, but you'll have to order them directly from EU, BMW NA won't supply them. I'm really hoping we'll be able to get a parts supplier set up through the Z8 Club before too long, so keep an eye open for that here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Where to buy these online?

Do you have a preferred supplier that I could order these, and other euro BMW parts, from?

As yet we don't have a European supplier......

but I'd suggest calling Dana Caldwell at Peter Pan BMW, 650 294 2123, as he is always incredibly helpful to us Z8'ers, and he may well be able to order you an EU part with the numbers above.
    Andrew Macpherson

Part number failed.

I tried getting these at the dealer in Fort Worth today. The couldn't pull up the part number in either the US or the German system. Any suggestions?
    thegunguy

I wrote those numbers in right off the boxes,

here is a quick scan of the two boxes, as you can see they are BMW parts in BMW boxes.

Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Macfly

I didn't doubt their authenticity; I just don't understand why my local dealer couldn't verify the part number.

I'll print of the pic of the boxes and try again.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Euro Mirrors

It took me awhile to get used to them, but now I really like them!

Do you have a suggestion as to how to ....

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    For any of you who have thought of swapping out the mirrors to get a wider view of the world behind, here are some pix that show how much wider that view is. The top picture clearly illustrates the wide angle view of the EU mirror on the right compared to the US one on the left.

EU mirror part numbers: 51 16 7 011 725 & 51 16 7 011 726

The mirrors are held inplace by a simple 'pop on - pop off' set of plastic clips, it took me less than two minutes to make the swap.

remove the mirrors safely, i.e., what sort of tool did you use to remove the original, where did you pry the existing mirrors so as to avoid damage and what did you use to put the new ones on with? I have had a set of these for a while but never have gotten around to putting them on. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Just get your finders in behind the outside edge...

of the mirror, splay them out and pop it off towards you. They are pop on/pop off parts and the whole job takes less than a minute to do each mirror.
    Andrew Macpherson

I'm still having trouble ordering

I showed the pic with the parts numbers to my dealer, and they still claim that they are unable to locate in any BMW parts system.

I'm going to start calling other dealers.
    thegunguy

these are the same part numbers that I...

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy
    I showed the pic with the parts numbers to my dealer, and they still claim that they are unable to locate in any BMW parts system.

I'm going to start calling other dealers.
    have but my mirrors differ in that they have a black laser line on the outer 25% of the mirror. The inner 75% is normal mirror and the outer portion is wide angle. Looks like these mirrors differ some depending on when you got them.

I do not believe it is a part number that you can get through a US dealer as it is against US safety regulations for a dealer to "sell" the car and therefore BMW does not offer the part to it's US customers or parts stores. I would try contacting your contacts in Germany and have them order it for you and send it over. That is how I got them.

Team Z8

I'm still trying to get these...

A friend in Europe tried to order them without luck. If someone out there has a connection please let me know. Seems we'll now have plenty of time to do any mods during our winter of discontent.