Thread: Weather...

Weather...

So after getting rained off last weekend, and with another band of bad weather headed our way this weekend I decided to do some digging and see what's up.

La Nina is whats up, it'll bring us a cooler winter and a much, much hotter summer.

First up is Jan/Feb/Mar temps, then Jan/Feb/Mar rainfall, and lastly next summers temps.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wait, so it's not manmade "Climate Change?"
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

I'm a total geek for all things related to weather, climate and geology, so the answer is actually maybe!

There is an underlying 100,000 cycle to the worlds warming and cooling first recognized by Milankovitch early in the 20th century, and if you're into it you can read about it here. While he recognized the cycle, his principal theory to explain it isn't really considered the whole picture as yet.

The bottom line is global cooling (Ice Ages) and warming (15,000 years ago till now) happen on a 75,000 - 25,000 cycle.

The transition from warm back to cold is always severe, it's the drop you see in the 500,000 year temperature graph taken from the Vostok ice core readings below, so from what we know it appears that something in the warming cycle (stalling the Gulf Stream?) causes the sudden tip back into cold.

What we seem to be doing as a species is helping push the temps/CO2 levels up to where they would naturally be in about 7-10,000 years, so we aren't causing it, we're just accelerating a natural phenomenon. The great unkown is will that melt the polar ice cap enough to stall the Gulf Stream, and tip us back into another period of rapid global cooling earlier that expected?

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    What we seem to be doing as a species is helping push the temps/CO2 levels up to where they would naturally be in about 7-10,000 years, so we aren't causing it, we're just accelerating a natural phenomenon. The great unkown is will that melt the polar ice cap enough to stall the Gulf Stream, and tip us back into another period of rapid global cooling earlier that expected?

Ah! Sanity prevails!

As far as La Nina, Up here in the gloomy NW, we have had wetter and cooler temperatures all year. Last Summer was almost non existent.

I guess on the bright side, we had not had any natural disasters or huge fires.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    You guys just summed up my opinion. If the cooling happens, Ill be sure to get a set of snow tires for the Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    I look forward to lots of snow!
    Going skiing in March 2012 with Last Frontier Heliski in Canada near Alaska border, Bell2Lodge.
    So more snow the better!!