Thread: Has anyone fitted a spare tire?

Z8Mania

Has anyone fitted a spare tire?

I like to have a spare tire and the Z8 is the only car I currently own that does not have one. I've never had a problem so far but you never know and Im willing to dedicate the space in the trunk to a spare and jack etc. Any thoughts? I did some searches and I came up with nothing. I did find the thread about buying a spare frame. I figure Id start with a spare tire (space saver even) and go from there

I would think you could easily fit one of the collapsable spares in the trunk. The jack is a little tougher with the car being low. What do other makes do for a jack? I have a very low profile collapsable aluminum floor jack that I bought for the Lotus. It'd fit in the truck fairly easily, but it's not optimal.

Obviously, you're going to eat in to a lot of the usable space, but if you're wanting safety, I could see this.

I just keep my AAA card with me.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Yeah I have AAA+ but if Im on a longer road trip its nice to know I can keep going under my own power- even if its limping along with a space saver. Ill have to look into it- I was hoping someone had already done the leg work.

I don't think you'll have trouble making it fit, and the spare will probably come in a bag to protect the interior. It might even fit behind the passenger seat. Not pretty, but I'm sure it will fit somewhere.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Im sure you're right. I just use tire totes- I have several spare ones. As to the jack, I don't think the Z8 is that low for a stock BMW jack

Maybe not, but I hate scissor jacks. They're pretty dangerous on anything but a flat surface.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I do too but if you're stuck then you just have to find a flat spot. Also you could call AAA and they could bring out the high quality floor jack etc but at least you could be on your way.

Is there such a thing as a balloon jack for cars? Kevlar bag with a rubber bladder and CO2 cartridge. I'm off to the patent office.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I don't think so. Ill look into the jack situation as well. I'll probably let this sit until the Spring as Z8 driving season is basically over here. I'll drive her a few times in the winter out of mechanical sympathy- I don't like to let her sit for more than 6-8 weeks at a time if I can help it. My record is about 14 weeks and it was just terrible weather.

I do think there is a "Bladder" type jack... I think. USe the mobility kit air pump? I have a client (MACS TIE DOWNS) that make an inflatable device called a chassis stabilizer, designed to go under the car when transporting. I think it would give enough height. Just need an air source.

Dear Jerry,

The attached eBay link indicates that this seller in Germany has Z8 car jacks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BMW-fact...#ht_500wt_1204

Not sure how this jack factored into the Z8 production since it left the factory with the run-flat tires, but here you go...
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Presumably, if you need to use the spare, you'd need to stow the wheel you just took off. Does an OEM rear wheel even fit in the trunk?

Z8 Madness
    Just exploring possibilities ...

62050 - Z8

Continental kit!

I just ordered the car jack from Germany, put in an offer of $300 including postage and they accepted.

I also always carry a tire plug kit an M Mobility kit and that stick junk stuff, so if ever you're on a drive with me we're covered!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    Dear Jerry,

The attached eBay link indicates that this seller in Germany has Z8 car jacks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BMW-fact...#ht_500wt_1204

Not sure how this jack factored into the Z8 production since it left the factory with the run-flat tires, but here you go...
    I don't buy it. There is no "Z8" jack. That's robbery for a scissor jack in bag. I like how they list the M1, 2002, etc. It's link bait.

Here's the exact same jack for half the price.
    http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Wheel-Jack-Set/dp/B003AP95SU

I bet Dana can get the same part, for even less.
    71 10 6 773 536

Sorry, Andrew, but you should see if you can cancel the eBay order on basis of fraud.
    thegunguy

Hah, wish you'd posted a bit earlier, already done!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Thank you fellas for the great discussion.

Some random thoughts:
    * Bladder jacks/ pneumatic jacks- not sure if Id want to have one sitting in the trunk for possibly years and then I have to go and use it and all of a sudden, it breaks a seal and...

* Where to put the damaged wheel: Yes you'd have to find a place to stow it. I suspect it would in fact fit in the trunk- the trunk is pretty deep. I once fit a 20" (Sony 4:3 tube) TV in there to take to a beach house we were renting. If not then there is always the passenger seat. If not then you could always just leave the wheel on the side of the road. Not optimal for at least two reasons: what if the wheel is reusable & pollution but if its a matter of safety you do it. I carry tire totes for this reason- so it won't mess up the car:
    http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...make=Tire+Rack

* Z8 Jack- I don't believe they ever built a Z8 jack because the Z8 was standard with those horrible run flat tires. Of course the Alpina Roadster V8 came with MPS2... I wonder if they ever assigned a part number to a jack for the Alpina as a possible extra?

* I see lots of places on line selling the 17" BMW space saver. I'm beginning to think when the weather gets better maybe Ill try putting one of my original Z8 wheels in the trunk to see how it fits. Maybe Ill just do that.... I rarely use the trunk for storage.