Thread: How many of you still run the OEM wheel?

Sport Button On - DSC Off

How many of you still run the OEM wheel?

And how many have changed, I am on the fence,I like the OEM wheel and yes it is hard for me to spend about $4500 on a set of wheels,lugs etc. I spoke to Dana at Peter Pan and even at cost plus 10% its a bunch; the wheel I REALLY want is the ALPINA DYNAMIC, like the steering wheel, which comes in a 20, and he told me it is NOT necessary to change to the ALPINA Suspension, says many z owners run 20's with a nice ride...so do I buy bey tires now and wait or buy it all at once. As you folks know Beyren makes some very ncie BMW wheels and my contact can get me 19" multi or the mesh and tires for $2850 out the door! My brother who also has a Z says its a no brainer, get those, save a bunch of money....I know its personal but have at it anyway please, thanks, dogdoc

The Beyren 19's are good, and I think you can also get the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports for those, so I'd suggest going that way and keep the costs down.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

ok which do you like?

The mesh or the multi design? thanks, Max

Z8Mania
    You don't need the Alpina suspension. But you don't need a Z8 either. I say if you are on the fence about spending a bunch of money on your new car then take your time. The wheels might need to be done sooner as they open up more tire choices. My take FWIW: unless you love the Beyren wheels; wait. Wait to see what you think. You can keep the stock wheels and get a set of tires and just see what you think about it. Thats your cheapest bet.

I agree with Jerry on this, but if you have a burning desire to make a change now I'd do these ones in siler with chrome lip - http://www.beyernwheels.com/BMW_whee..._typemulti.php

I'd suggest front 9 x19 front and rear 10 x19
    Andrew Macpherson

thanks Andrew and Jerry...

I am pondering....lol. Max

we (to the chagrin of the other boardies) are still running on the run flats and original wheels. Not sure if we'll ever bother to change but who knows.

thnx for the responses...

and keep them coming! Max(dogdoc)

Z8Mania
    Whatever you do, just make sure the tires are not the tires that are the original tires to the car, as they age tires rot.

thanks for that tip as I am planning...

to rid of them ASAP! I just have to decide to get new tires on the OEM wheels which then would leave me to not want to waste that money so the OEM wheels would be for a long time since I won't be driving much, or just get new wheels/tires and then not have to wait and not waste buying tires now and then maybe 6 months later, that's my dilemma along with some practicality. I really want the ALPINA DYNAMIC but I have never spent money on wheels on any sports car I have owned so I am feeling guilty; the Beyren's are a great value but neither they or anyone else of reputation makes a replica of the Dynamic, and the only Companythat does .... Monet makes ones but as the wheel guy here said we cannot guarantee fit, finish or balance, wobble etc. dog

Z8Mania
    I say within budgetary constraints, go with what you love. I think its simpler for you to get started with the OEM wheels and new tires.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar

Alpina wheels anecdote

The other day another Z8 with Alpina wheels and myself were driving in slow traffic. A kid on the sidewalk saw the other Z8 first and while pointing to the wheels he screamed enthusiastically to his buddy: "Look, there is a Z8 and it is an Alpina". His buddy who was slightly more observing responded: "No that's a fake Alpina, there is a real one" and he pointed to my car.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I like the Alpina wheels, but my wife prefers the stock ones and I like them too. It is really a matter of preference. I drove a Z8 with Alpina wheels and the M-AVS tires and did notice the ride was a bit rougher. I am not sure how much the tires or anything else may have had to do with it, but a number of members who have switched to the Alpina or other wheels larger than the 18's recommend getting the Alpina springs as well to have the same ride as the Alpina, but have the stick instead of the auto.

What is less discussed is the reasoning for the Euro Alpina's to have different shocks than the US Alpina's which I believe use the standard Z8 shocks, and difference in the feel of Euro Alpina vs standard Z8 shocks. There are so few Alpina's it is doubtful we will ever find a Euro and US version to test back to back.

Z8Mania
    If you go in the suspension forum I believe Andrew did this. The reason for the difference, purely IMHO, it was like version 2.0. Both suspensions were done by the same guy- the son of Alpina's founder- he is a world class rallye driver and he did work for BMW (Z8) and then went home to Alpina and did the Alpina version. IMHO it is a better setup that allows more comfort and grip and thus better handling but you will need to stiffen up the stock roll bars.

The full EU kit drops the car 1/2 inch, making the headlight fall below US regulation height, hence the US Z8 springs were used on the US Alpinas. To get the real Alpina experience as they designed it to be you have to fit the EU Alpina kit. It is a simply transformative upgrade, everyone who has fitted it has been blown away, it's a night and day change.
    Andrew Macpherson

The 20s will make your ride less compliant. I would never put 20s on stock Z8 suspension, as it's already too harsh. The Alpina suspension softens and improves the ride while offering better handling. I even think the 20s may be too much for the Alpina set up. The 19s would likely be the best choice, and would probably work well with the stock set up.

NOTE: Most of us running the Euro Alpina set up, also have the Dinan Castor plates, that raise the front up about 1/4", so the net is about - 1/4" in the front.

Z8Mania
    I found the 20s on the Alpina suspension to make the ride more comfy than the 18s with MPS2 on the OEM Z8 suspension. The 20s are absolutely not too harsh for the Alpina suspension and we have crummy roads. YMMV

Yup, 20s on stock would be rough...

Z8Mania
    In my experience, a 2" change of rim diameter is about the same difference in ride quality as going from or to run flats. So Id say 20" wheels with MPS2 = ride quality of 18" with run flats.

Worse I think!

Z8Mania
    Ive actually done this on a few cars and thats my experience.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering would the 20 inch Alpina wheels with a stock Z8 suspension and an installed Performance Package detrimentally increase my chances of bending the shock towers?
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

In a nutshell, yes.

The benefits to fitting the EU Alpina suspension are so enormous to the handling, ride and comfort that I'd really say it is a must do. You'll want to add the H&R swaybars too, to lessen the body roll.

Making all those changes, suspension, sways, wheels and tires will totally transform your car. I know it's a big bite of the apple all at once, but the upgrade is absolutely night and day.
    Andrew Macpherson

WOW, that's a lot. To be honest I think I'll just stick with the original wheels. I just installed the performance package 1 week ago, now I just gotta get rid of the run flats.

Z8Mania
    Andrew is right. I would add the Dinan caster plates as well. My gut feeling is performance package but oem wheels and run flat tires= bigger risk of problems than performance package with Alpina 20" wheels and non run flat tires. Those run flats are horrible.

I would recommend 19" with the stock suspension... The lighter the better.

That's a perfect compromise, I wouldn't do the ALPINA rims with stock suspension regardless, too little sidewall safety. Go lightweight 19's with the new Pirelli Super Sports. HRE makes some lovely lightweight competition rims.
    Andrew Macpherson

Will look into it, thanks again for the help.