Thread: tires selection...

Question tires selection...

I'm new to the club of Z8 owners and would like to change the original tires on my 2001.
    I'm looking at Michelin (but open to suggestions with other brands) and it looks like the choice is limited between:
    Pilot Sport A/S Plus in original size (F 245/45/18. R 275/40/18),
    or Pilot Sport PS2 in larger tires (F 255/40/18, R 295/35/18).
    What do you think would be the most appropriate for the car and give me the best performances?
    Thank you,
    M

If you can find them, the PS2 on the OE wheel is pretty hard to beat. There's lots of commentary on the PS2 by many owners here, and it's easily one of the best tires of all time.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Where do you live? Does it ever get below 45F and will you drive the Z8 in cooler temperatures? The answers to those questions I think should determine whether you go with the PS A/S Plus which is a great great all season tire; or the PS2, which is a terrific summer/sports tire. If its a warm climate or only driven in nice weather on warm days, go with the PS2. Below 45F the PS2 will become progressively harder and while you can drive on it, its not really recommended.

Tires selection

I live in LA... so 4 season tires not needed...
    Problem is Michelin does NOT make the PS2 in OE size.
    I have to go with larger tires (and is that ok?) or pick another brand.
    And if so, which one?
    Thanks. M

Z8Mania
    They did make the PS2 in OE sizes because I have them- but mine are a few years old.

Can you get the Pilot Super Sport in OE sizes? They are the current top tire choice of all.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Tire selection...

They do NOT make the Super Sport in OE size...
    But I just found out I can get them in a slightly different size!
    NEW SIZE: F 255/40/18 R 285/35/18
    Lmk if you think it's ok.
    Thx again,
    M

Tire selection...

I meant to say "they do not make the PS2 in OE size, ANYMORE".
    They are discontinued...

Z8Mania
    I don't think its ok but thats just me.

I'd still try to find a set of PS2s. They may be out there, even though they're discontinued.

Looking at Tirerack for the OE size, I'd probably go with the Potenza RE-11 or the PZeros. The ConttiSport might also be good. I think this is the tire one the M60 M5.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I don't like Pirelli tires. As a general rule I find they are trying to fight the pavement rather than to grip it. My order of preference would be Michelin>Bridgestone>Conti.

In my experience, I'd have to agree with your order of preference. In fact, I'm not sure that I haven't had a Michelin that I didn't love. That being said, I replaced the Michelins on the X5 with Conti's recently, largely for cost and service life. Half the price, twice the usable life, 90% of the performance in the dry, 5x the performance in the wet/snow. Seemed a no brainer.
    thegunguy

After talking to a few people it looks like my best option to stay with OE size, is to go with the Potenza RE-11 .
    Good ratio price/performance.
    Thanks,
    M

Cool. This is a relatively new tire, and I don't think we have much data on it. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind having the front/rear tires weighed when they're installed so that we can add the data to the tire thread? Also, please report back your opinions on ride and performance. This could be the go-to tire for OE wheels now that the PS2 has left us.
    thegunguy

I'll be happy to get you the info asap.
    M

Virtual beer chug!
    thegunguy

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by ms23 View Post
    I meant to say "they do not make the PS2 in OE size, ANYMORE".
    They are discontinued...
    Dana is getting them for me. They are also listed on Tire rack as back ordered.

They are definitely discontinued, but there may still be stock for someone like Dana who has many resources. They were replaced with the new Super Sport, which is not available in OE sizes.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Let us know how you like the tires.

Tires selection/weight RE-11

I just got the RE-11 mounted yesterday so don't ask me yet how much I like them (or not...). BUT I have the weight.
    OEM Bridgestone RFT (wheels and tires)
    Front: 60 lbs. Rear: 64 lbs.
    Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
    Front: 59 lbs, 2 oz. Rear: 63 lbs, 4 oz.
    So, not a big difference...
    According to the installer and as you all know the best way to shave weight is to go with lighter wheels.
    For owners who live in the LA area I can recommend the shop where the work was done. Very pro, very clean! It's called Wheel Enhancement. Located in Culver City.

Thanks. I'll add to the sticky.

I note that your OE setup is showing several pounds below our captured numbers. For consistency, I'll adjust our standard numbers with just the difference from your measurements, not your actual numbers.
    thegunguy

Oddly enough I had a very bad experience with Wheel Enhancements. When I fitted my current Pirrelis to my new 20" rims I had the work done there, but they didn't do the balance correctly. I called them to ask if they'd double check it, but they swore they did correctly, they absolutely remembered it, and it was perfect. I had to live with a front wheel wobble that drove me mad for a year, and in the mean time replaced a bunch of bushes and bearings trying to find the source of the trouble. Sure enough it eventually traced back to the wheel being out of balance, and I've never taken a car back there, or recommended them since then.
    Andrew Macpherson

Maybe I just got lucky, but a friend of mine took his Porsche there and was happy with the service as well...
    Not that I'm gonna change my tires again any time soon but do you like a better tire shop in LA?
    Happy to spread the word!

To be honest I had the issue resolved at Peter Pan, so haven't found another tire shop here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Tire shops, dealers, etc- its very possible you have a bad experience and someone else has a good one. It really comes down to the personnel at these places.