Thread: What will I look for on the Vanos update?

Sport Button On - DSC Off

What will I look for on the Vanos update?

Service records indicate fluid changes at 1560 miles or so(now 6155) and that is it, this thing has not been driven, my buddy at BMW pulled the records for me and he was the GM when they sold this car to the guy.I will be the 2nd owner; The BMW PPI says it "perfect",straight panels, no leaks, no curb rash, no trash anywhere on the car, all systems are good.Top works,etc. I had ALL the fluids changed EXCEPT the tranny; they advised to leave it alone? It looked clean;yes I used 10W60 after they installed the 5/30 I had them drain it....The VIN is 60727 so I assume it is in the range of the VANOS issue; what do I do or ask to be changed. or wait for a CEL? PS what about the strings on the soft top, what strings,lol

Listen, please don't take this the wrong way, but the search function in the top blue bar is your friend. Typing answers that all exist in detail can get old, so please do make use of the very detailed database of info we've compiled, you'll find a lot of the answers, and a deeper insight to all your questions there.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

no worries! not taking it wrong,lol your right

I do know its there, and I have many links...I just dont see on this one what actually happens if its bad; I saw notes on cel's,will research vanos on net in general, bare with me, thnx guys! Dogdoc(max)Ps

Advice from another novice

Read the .pdf's in the "Z8 History, Pdf's and Movies" Section, in particular the one on Vanos Rattle Noise after Starting. If you look at the build dates it specifies, and either look at the date on your vin tag on the drivers side door, or plug your vin into realoem (google it), you will find your car is not affected by the vanos update issue. Some of the older threads were before that .pdf, so don't be led astray.

Before you go wild with mods, figure out where you can get a PP installed. I have read this forum for awhile and that is the single most important update, and you would be well advised to do that asap, to protect your front shock towers. Look up your state in the members section (search GA or Georgia) and email those people. Find out where they had their's installed.

You should also consider replacing those 10 year old tires. Some people still go with the run flats, but I'd say most go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. They do not seem to make the Michelin Super Sports in the 18 inch size for the rear. Just try to find it on tire rack or discount tire.. you won't. Don't be led astray by the tire threads.

Savor some time to enjoy the vehicle before you change it. It is like your your audiophile analogy. I am an audiophile. Yes we can hear the difference between one type of speaker wire and another, but some of us spend more time searching for the optimum wire than listening to the music, and those of us who have figured out that the original purpose was the music are enjoying the magic in our systems a lot more.
    Last edited by Charles; October 17th 2011 at 06:36. Reason: spelling

Charles has great advice. It can be exciting having a new toy on the way, but I'd suggest spending time with car and getting to know it before making a slew of changes. There's plenty to read here and soak in as well.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Agreed. If the tires are 10 years old you need to replace them immediately. They are dangerous to drive on. They rot. I don't remember the rule of thumb for modern tires, I think its 7 years, but in my house, 4-5 years= new tires.

Charles, great advice!

Tires will be changed next week; do you guys like Pirelli at all?dogdoc

I have Pirelli on my car, and like them very much, but in all the road tests the new Pilot Super Sports seem to be winning all the accolades.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I really dislike the Pirelli tires with one exception. In general I find them to be very hard and to not give a good sense of grip. The one exception is the P Zero Corsa, which is a semi track day tire and I would not recommend it for the Z8. I much prefer the Michelins. This could be simply a matter of taste (vanilla v. chocolate) but thats my experience. The Michelin tires you would want are either the Super Sport if they are available in your sizes or the Pilot Sport 2. DO NOT buy the Pilot Sport 3. The super sport is the successor to the 2. The 3 is an entirely new tire that is an all season tire which means its not a good summer tire, nor is it a good winter tire.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Regarding the VANOS issue, any car with a production date in the driver's door jamb of 12/00 and later is fine. Your car should be the start of 01 so you are fine.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Sadly, the Super Sports aren't available in many sizes as its a new model.
    thegunguy