Thread: Scratch Repair

Austin, TX

Scratch Repair

after having the cam sensor replaced, i went to pick up my z8 from bmw of austin only to find that somehow they had scratched the car. two horizontal scratches (i'll upload a photo later) rear driver's side just above the taillight. the scratches are 3 inches long and fairly deep so a repaint of the panel will be necessary.

bmw of austin acknowledges and assumes responsibility. they are sending me to a general all purpose body shop (round rock collision outside austin).

does anyone near austin have any better ideas?

also, what type of questions should i be asking to be sure i'm getting the best quality work?

thanks.
    chris

My experience with the average BMW "local/standard/approved" body shop has been VERY bad. Not only did they screw up my wife's 750Li, but once the Z8 had been sent there to eliminate some drip-stains etc that BMW had caused. The car came back looking like someone had worked it over with old gritty towels... Swirl marks over the whole (black car). Eventually, they sent my car to the local BMW Collision Center (a super high-tech BMW owned facility). They were awesome, and the car looked better than it had for years, like new! I would not let any "favorite" body shop touch it. Just my experience. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow, I think we can rule out BMW Austin for proper Z8 support. With their history on your car, I'd say their suggested paint shop may be lackluster too. You might check with the local CCA to get their suggestions.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Sorry to hear about this. I don't have a specific recommendation for a shop, but I would suggest you take your time with this and find the best body shop in town. I rather have a car left cosmetically damaged than poorly repaired.
    62050 - Z8

I agree with Norcal. Is there a BMW Collision Center in Austin, Dallas, Houston or somewhere else (sort-of nearby)? I think I'd find out where the nearest one is and insist they do the work.
    I had some work done here in PHX at the BMW Collision Center and they did great work. I did have to take it back once due to "orange peel", but they immediately took care of it to my satisfaction. The drawback is that you may be without your car for a few days if there isn't one nearby, but at least you know the quality of the work should be up to par.

Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Wow, I think we can rule out BMW Austin for proper Z8 support. With their history on your car, I'd say their suggested paint shop may be lackluster too. You might check with the local CCA to get their suggestions.
    so true. i have an image but not sure how to upload it.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Be very very careful who you choose to repair the car. Remember, YOU get to choose who fixes it, not them. You want to make sure they use only the best materials and that they do not color sand it so the finished result is glass smooth paint. Original paint has some "orange peel" in it. A good paint shop will be able to color sand it just enough to get the peel right so it matches the other panels on the car. Also, make very sure that there are no telltale signs of the work such as masking tape lines left behind or overspray in the trunk and door jambs.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I would suggest contacting Patrick Arnold at Classic BMW Plano, Texas for a recommendation. His e mail is [email protected] I have seen a couple of jobs they had done and they looked good. Advise him that Panda suggested you get in contact with him.

Pandaman

Austin, TX
    thx! will email him now...
    i appreciate all the comments

I liked using Pat and Classic when I was in TX, and I recommend them as THE place if your in the DFW area (or potentially farther). However, I wasn't crazy about his paint shop. I had the lower bumper resprayed, and it pealed shortly after.

The thing to remember with dealers is that they're independent from BMW, and things like paint/repairs are profit centers for them. So, they just find the right shop that gives them a balance of quality, speed, and profitability. I've rarely seen a dealer suggested shop be much more than a "production line" operation - get 'em out fast. That's not to say that they don't do good work, but by nature, they may not be up to the level of what you're after. That being said, the paint on the Z8 isn't that great to begin with. So, you can definitely "over solve" the problem.

Norcal's suggestion on seeking the actual BMW repair center would be my approach. You might put a call in to Bill Stuart on his suggestions. BMW NA should also know about your experience with BMW Austin. They're keenly interested in how the Z8 fleet is treated. And, ignorantly throwing parts at a problem without correctly diagnosing the issue (and then scratching the car) is just NOT acceptable.
    thegunguy

Austin, TX
    after giving it some more thought, i've written bill stuart to hear his perspective (vanos replacement misdiagnosis by bmw of austin and the damage that was done to the car while in their possession).

Good call. Bill is the best.
    thegunguy

Austin, TX
    bill returned my email with a phone call. he takes the user experience seriously and plans to escalate this with the marketing dept. i found him to be caring, thoughtful, and informative.
    he did say that the shop, round rock collision, is a bmw authorized collision repair center, authorized for level 1 repair work. i still plan to check around a bit to feel more comfortable though...

Z8Mania
    I like the idea that you reached out to Bill to see what he thinks is a good place. Im sorry this happened. There really is no excuse for it but at least they seem to be taking responsibility.

Austin, TX
    on another note...i received a bmw customer service satisfaction survey via email a few days ago. i completed the thing and was brutally honest. probably not a good idea. this afternoon my customer service rep sent me a scathing email wondering why i gave him extremely poor marks. i replied that it wasn't so much his fault but more of a reflection of my overall experience (scratching the car and recommending vanos replacement). there isn't anything in the survey that i would say differently to his face so i have no regrets there but it seems like i've brought myself more headaches with the survey. i guess they really do read those!

Well with all he's done can he really be suprised? Where does Ken take his car, I know he's in your area.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The fact that he sent you a scathing email says it all. He's more interested in covering his ass than making sure you're taken care of. I'd make sure BMW NA knows that too.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Thats exactly right. Those surveys are **supposed** to be "confidential" but the dealers read them. Just one thing to remember- if you are happy with the service, give them the highest marks. The survey turns out to be pass fail as opposed to the scale they tell you- say they give you a range 0-10. A reasonable person might answer 8 for how long did it take to get a service appointment. Sounds good right? Nope. 8=fail. 10=good everything else=fail. You should share your story with Bill Stuart.

that is one of my biggest beefs with BMW - those damn surveys. They will keep calling you until you do it, and the reps always push you to the high mark. Apparently their bonus is based on it. It is pushy to the extreme. I would definitely forward that email to BMW.

The best thing is just take your car to Peter Pan, then it's a slam dunk!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

its an awfully long drive

I've Been out of town and missed this thread until today. I am horrified with your whole experience, but also equally surprised. My experiences at BMW of Austin have been nothing less than completely professional and thorough. They have always extended every possible courtesy to me and the Z8 recognizing that the car is irreplaceable and it's owner a bit neurotic.
    I can't help but feel that your experience is a fluke, and hope they continue to do everything possible to make things better. I would also check out the paint shop thoroughly as all of the local "special high end" shops that I have dealt with in this area have been disappointing. Surprisingly, my best experience was with a relative's car at a Geico affiliated mass producer!?!-Flawless paint color and texture match and perfect panel alignment after car vs. truck incident.

The survey's as you all know are not fair for the consumer...

I saw this thread and have to say we had the same experience with my wife's 5 series; very bad experience, rate such on the survery; get a call from the SA saying hey "I get in trouble for this", I say its the experience and the "not fixed problem" etc , NOT YOU AS THE WRITER; he says its all or nothing, so if we rate the experience bad he is rated bad too, that is not fair for all of us and he was hot...pits us against the service advisors; bad way to do business! dogdoc

I actually won't pick up the phone anymore if it's from BMW

I'm not sure the phone survey is BMW or the dealer. Thankfully, Peter Pan sends emails for the survey. So, it's not consistent across all stores.
    thegunguy

All customer satisfaction surveys from BMW come via email now. There are no more phone calls. If you are getting a call its from someone that is more than likely a dealership employee or service retained by the dealer for customer follow up. As far as the BMW survey goes, if any question is rated a 4 or below the dealer is required to reach out to the customer via phone or email in an attempt to resolve it. Once it is resolved, the dealer closes the survey and the customer gets a follow up email asking if it is resolved - that requires a simple click of a yes or no box.

Being honest, we do ask for 10's on the survey. Most of us have pay plans tied to it in some manner. That being said, I hope that our customers are honest and if there is an issue, we as a dealer need to attempt to address it to the satisfaction of the customer (sometimes that is not possible, but most of the time it is) Some customers flat out will not rate a 10 as it implies "perfection" so they rate us with 9's. I do not see it as an "all or nothing" survey as it is a 1 thru 10 rating system.

I would never condone one of my advisors calling a customer and harassing them based on a survey response. The customer responded to the survey based on their experience. We need to provide the best experience possible in order to receive the highest scores. When their is a problem we must address it promptly and with professionalism.

Dana Caldwell
    Service Director
    Peter Pan BMW
    Center of Excellence 2011

Hey Dana thanks for the reply!

I do however see it as a "all or nothing" for the servcie writer; It does NOT allow me to single he or she out as doing a great job; if I rate it a 2 then he gets dumped on EVEN if it is NOT related to him,yes as I reacll there are categories but he ultimately gets the blame as I understand it so that's why he said its an all or nothing and he gets reemed regrdless of what he did to help fix or mitgate the problem, thnx!dogdoc(Max)

And that's why the last line in Dana's signature will go up by 1 next year. Thanks for all you do, Dana.
    thegunguy

As far as the service advisor catching heat, that's the way it should be. They are the customer's representative. The buck stops there, so to speak. So, if an area of the service was a "2", that's a failing of the service advisor for not handling on behalf of the customer.
    thegunguy