Thread: hard top on stand

Z8 Novice

hard top on stand

how do i put the hard top on the stand?

Check out the thread BMW Z8 Board > Z8 Chat Room: Hard top storage?. I used the BMW-sourced instructions provided in this thread to adjust the stand and then to remove the top.

The hardtop is awkward to handle but not heavy for two guys to remove from the car.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    And you also want two people to put it on the stand.

absolutely ANY time you do anything with the hard top you should have 2 people as far as i can tell - maybe if you have a hoist you can get away with one but otherwise not.

Z8 Novice

Hardtop stand

I have the instructions from BMW regarding how to assemble the stand an secure the hardtop to it. Sounds dumb, but I still don't see where the top secures to the stand and how the rubber piece riveted to each side of the stand locks the top in place. I have assembled the stand and have adjusted the width to fit winin the specified range; just don't see where/how the top clips Onto the stand. Help!

It doesn't really attach to the stand, the two metal spikes that insert behind the doors just sit on it in an uneasy balancing act, which is why I ended up using a different stand for mine, because living in an earthquake zone I wanted something more secure.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

In Tricks, Tips and Useful Bits there is a post called Putting the Hardtop on the Stand, which has a link to the BMW instructions. If you already have those you can do a search and you will find pictures posted. But it really does just sit. Mine did until I finally got the hoist finished.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Sport Button On
    Charles-

What hoist did you end up using?

E-Z Hoist, but they don't make them anymore. I searched and searched and finally found a used one. Their main advantage was that they had no straps the supported themselves on seals. There are several pictures of it in one or more of the posts on hoists.

If you do find one there are a few tricks in installing it I need to show you. I even found a place that makes the replacement cable.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

I am making plans for the winter storage of the Z8 I just acquired. I plan on storing the car on a garage lift. At the moment I keep a convertible M3 on that lift. I have bolted a hard top rack to the platform of the lift right in front of the car. I have chosen to bolt down the hard top rack to the lift platform to make sure it does not move or fall down as the lift is activated. I have been very satisfied with that solution for a number of years now. I am planning on storing the Z8 in the place of the M3 and was planning on storing the Z8 hard top in my existing rack. I was not planning on using the Z8 rack as I fear it would be very unstable on my lift. My question for you guys is the following: I noticed that the Hard top of the Z8 does not have metal all around the back window. Is there a danger of damage to the Z8 hard top window if stored in a rack like mine? Do you have experience storing your hard top in a rack like this? Thanks! Large Universal Hardtop Stand Hardtop Cover - Hardtop Covers & Storage

I think you will get varied opinions on this, so take in what everyone says, and then make your own decision.

The glass is not supported, and is very liable to shatter if you allow the weight of the top to sit on it. This is why BMW made the stand the way the did, and as you will see in most of the images of it, it balances the top in a glass up fashion.

However, due to the fact I live in an earthquake zone I wanted a more secure and stable solution for my hard top, and as a result have resorted to a stand very like the one you show as a better and more secure way to strap it to the main frame of the house, and stop it being a bowling ball on a bad day. (That little 4.7 we had on Monday was a hell of a wake up call, really reminds one of the power that seeps beneath!)

Andrew Macpherson

Yep your stand is just like mine. What you're doing makes sense. Of course that makes the whole thing top heavy and less stable that it was meant to be. Yours is tied to the wall which makes it earthquake proof but I can't do that. I have removed the wheels on my stand and bolted the base to the lift. I will try it up side down, like you have it and see if I can make it stable enough strapping the top to the vertical arm of the rack. I like your dog by the way, he looks quite interested in what is going on. Does he get to ride the Z8?

That's Coco, she's an awesome pup, but neither she nor Starr get to go in the Z8 because the plastic interior is too easy to scratch, and they hate when I drive fast, so they're confined to the SL and I'm confined to driving it like a granny! :-)

Here's some iPhone snaps of them both from last weekend at the beach, it was the most glorious day, it's the best time of year in SoCal now, with none of the cold on shore winds and constant marine layers that summer brings.

Andrew Macpherson

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    nice, third one is a great snap shot
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    Fantastic pictures!