Thread: Gear Shift Knob

Z8 Novice

Gear Shift Knob

quick question for anybody that has replaced the gear shift knob. Does it simply pull right off or screw off? I bought a lovely knob that I believe is OEM which has th Z8 logo on it and I would like to install it. Thanks for the tip.

There's a thread in Problem and Solutions: shifter knob replacing that describes the process.

In removing the original shifter knob, I sat in the driver seat and used the center console to position my right arm to pull up (Thick towel was positioned below my elbow). With the transmission in 2nd gear, I was able to quickly release the shifter knob with my right hand, and with my left hand 4-6 inches above the shifter, I "caught" it in order to prevent this projectile from flying loose.

For the install of the new knob, position it in place and then with a towel on top of the shifter, strike firmly with the palm of your hand.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8 Novice
    Most helpful. Many thanks Ed.

Z8 Logo on Gear Shift Knob - Stock or not?

My car has the logo on the gear shift knob. It is a 2002. I am the second owner. The seller said it was on the car when he bought it new. Brad Husick showed one on his posting to sell his 2002 car earlier this year. I emailed Brad. He said he got one with a logo when he ordered a stock replacement from his BMW dealer. However I think cars before and after mine (AH61406) did not have the logo, but some may have. Has anyone explored this minor issue?

As of now I guess this will fall into the lore of mysterious things BMW does. Perhaps at some point BMW changed suppliers or the design to add the logo, but then switched back. What you got depended on what was in the parts bin when the builder or parts guy put his hand in it.

Anyway I am somewhat convinced it is a rare, but stock part. Did anyone else's car come with the logo in the middle of the 6 speed pattern on the knob?

My best guess is that two suppliers were used to source the shift knob.

I replaced the red shift knob on my 2002 Z8 last year, and the OEM part that I received from the dealer was without the logo (Part Number 25117504352). The original shift knob was also without the logo. There is a vendor in Germany selling the Z8 shifter knob on Ebay with the logo as shown below. Other than the logo, the pictured shift knob and that on my car appear identical.
    My Best,

Ed

I could not find the knob on ebay, do you have any info on the vendor or area to look under?
    2002 silver/red

The red Z8 logo'ed gear shift knob is available through the seller kcigermany under Ebay's Vintage Car & Truck Parts for $275. The current link to this part is http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BMW-shif...#ht_540wt_1189. The seller also has listed the gear shift knob in black for $325. The seller is indicating that the part is NOS, new old stock, again supporting two suppliers theory for the shifter knob. My recollection is that I paid ~$100 less a year ago through the dealer for a NNS (new new stock) replacement shifter knob without the Z8 logo.
    My Best,

Ed

Thanks, Ed ! That's great info. That is good support for the theory the knob made it some cars before they decided to switch back.

I don't think I've seen one with the Z8 logo before, it looks very nice.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I've seen a few of these, and I've always believed them to be added by the owner as I've never seen the part listed by BMW. This is the first I've heard of a car deliverd with the logo knob. Perhaps the original was damaged before sale and replaced with this.

I really should grab one to put away.
    thegunguy

I was thinking that too, but I really do like my heavy steel one, it really does smooth out the shifts.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    I was looking for a shift knob with this Z8 logo for myself a few months ago and found a BMW part number for it with help from my local BMW dealership BUT these shift knobs are not available (in Germany) anymore. A responsible guy at BMW in Munich told me that it was an "Individual" part and it was never standard...
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

On RealOEM it appears that there are two sets of part numbers (six by color). One set has been obsoleted, but there is a replacement set. I'll see if I can dig up the individual part number too.
    thegunguy

I am starting to form a theory. I have not seen them on 2001's or 2003's, only 2002's. My vin is AH61406. I just saw an ebay listing for AH61394 that had one. Perhaps there was a short period where these were put on some 2002 cars, but not before or after except as an "individual" part.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Can you ask if they have it in blacK on their site?

Normally there is a "ask the seller" a question on ebay';I have stared at that ad for 20 minutes and I cannot find that button; they say they have other colors so I want to see if it is available in black....any help?dog

At the bottom is an "Ask a Question" area. If that does not work, click on the Seller's name. It opens another window. On the left side there is a "Contact Member" Area.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    I am looking to replace my shifter as the previous owner has banged it up from wearing a ring. Anyone ever get to the bottom of how to order a shift knob with the Z8 logo on it?
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    I found one for my car (Crema interior) at Kark Classics in Germany. When I bought in April they said they had only three left (one each red, black & crema which I bought) and said "they might be the last ones world wide." Cost was $450 including insured shipping -- about 2x the cost of the standard shift knob, but I really like it and couldn't locate it anywhere else so I swallowed hard and pulled the trigger. In case you want to contact him (Karl) his e-mail is [email protected]. I have no idea if he still has either the red or black one.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema