Thread: The Origins of the International Z8 Club, and its Inaugural Weekend

The Origins of the International Z8 Club, and its Inaugural Weekend

The dream to form the Z8 Club was born in 2003, and brought to reality by Jürgen Wunderlich and Reiner Lüslein and some other Z8 owners. Jürgen and Reiner were both active members of the Z1 Club, as well as being Z8 owners, so they understood well all the intricacies of setting up an official, BMW sanctioned club. Together they put the plan into action, contacted all the possible members they could find online, or through friends, to see what kind of interest there?d be in coming to Munich for the inaugural weekend of activities, and they certainly succeeded!

There's s few things to take into consideration about forming a club in Germany, especially one sanctioned by BMW. It has to be done as a legal entity, complete with court papers, President, Secretary, Treasurer and two other Officers, much in the same way that we form a corporation here in the states. It must have the books checked and audited every year to maintain it's status, so this isn't something undertaken lightly or on a whim, it's a huge responsibility and commitment of the part of the founding fathers.

This is a very serious enterprise run by a team of dedicated enthusiasts, and their connections to BMW AG means we get better access to everything an enthusiast might need, or need to know, as well as a wonderful welcome waiting in Europe. By US standards the club may not be cheap, but in my opinion it is an excellent investment in the car we love. As a member you will invited to all of the clubs activities, and I certainly plan on being at any of them I can get away for!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------

The Z8 Club Inaugural Weekend - June 11-12th 2005

The BMW Z8 Club became a reality on Saturday 11th of June, 2005, with about 70 Z8?s and 130 people assembling to enjoy stunning weekend of inaugural activities. I was fortunate enough to have been contacted by the the club who saw this site online and invited for the weekend?s events. It was certainly a weekend to remember!

I flew in from LA arriving on Friday afternoon for what was a real 'blind date' as I don't speak German, and I didn't know anybody there. I arrived just in time for an early evening assembly for drinks in the elegant Hotel Kempinski. There I was immediatly swept up in the fun by J?rgen & Sylvi Wunderlich and made to feel completely at home.

The next day 70 Z8' and 140 people were the guests of BMW M Division. We were taken into the hallowed halls of the M Division, where everything from the F1 motors to our motors are created. This was not a run of the mill event, like getting a tour of the Spartanburg plant in SC, getting into the M Division is about as easy as getting to see the gold bars in Fort Knox, no one ever gets in there, so this was beyond a privilege.

We also met with three of the gentlemen who were involved in the creation of our car, and sent out to test drive the new M5 & M6 on a twenty mile circuit through the Bavarian countryside. To top it off the Prof. Ulrich Bruhnke, the CEO, was there to meet, greet and chitchat with us all!

This was followed by a delicious lunch at the M Division's own restaurant, after which we set off to the main offices of BMW, which are several miles from the plant. Here all the cars were arranged for an official portrait in the large fountain concourse right on the steps of the main building.

Next we were guided round to the Mobile Tradition building for the club's first official AGM, which was followed by a private tour of the Mobile Tradition collection (now BMW Classic), which is the company's private museum. After all these extraordinary activities we all reassembled in the ballroom at the Hotel Kaminski for a glamorous dinner that was really a feast, where we were joined by many of the team who actually worked on the Z8 during it's run, as well as several other members of the BMW team.

On Sunday all 70 Z8's, accompanied by two 507's, drove to the Austrian Alps for a final lunch. Leaving Munich we headed south through the very chic Tegernsee area, then followed the River Isar down to the River Loisach, which led us to our final destination, the Freihaus Brenner set on a lovely knoll with a panoramic view across the lakes and mountains, for the farewell lunch. There are 60 images of the weekend in chronolgical order here.

The Official Press Release can be downloaded here.

The top photo below is Jürgen Wunderlich, the club's second and longest serving President. Below him are some of the things they had made up for the event, including both photo albums and books with the last of the original Z8 logos, leather etc. If you bought one of the 22 limited edition big books you also got every model in the cabinet, all these are the ones supplied to the owners by the dealers in Germany. The Fisker drawings are originals that are in BMW's own Z8 Visitor's Book, which is signed by many notables and celebrities when they came to try the car, BMW has presented this to the Club.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

and one last picture from the weekend.

This is a panorama of the 70 cars assembled for the big group shot, but you can only count about 45 cars from this elevation. I'm certainly interested to see the official shot from the crane on the far left, and I'll post it here when I find a copy.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Here is the full group shot.....

The Inaugural Weekend of the Z8 Club as shown in Roundel.

In my line of work I always love getting front covers, but this is the first time that one of my pictures has appeared on the cover of a car magazine! Many thanks to Satch Carlson for giving us Z8'ers a cover, as we are a very small clan within the vast BMW CCA Family.

You can download the full story as it ran here.

Andrew Macpherson

Congratulations Andrew.

Also today I received BMW Z8 special print booklet, first issue of BMW Z8 Club magazine, statue of the club, a leather key fob (same leather key fob we all have) and a cd including tons of pictures taken during the tour to Switzerland from BMW Z8 Club. This is a very serious club, and I'm proud of being a member of such a club.

PS: I read your write-up in the magazine. That's great!
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Smile Thanks Ufuk!!

I'm looking forward to seeing the package, mine hasn't come yet, but I know it's on the way!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness

Very nice writeup!

I enjoyed reading it.
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    I agree- many of you who are not members are "enjoying" the benefits of the Club. Please join.

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar

I'm Official

Well I am now officially registered. I found the issue with the VIN number. If you make an error and submit, there is no going back. In tech terms, it does not refresh the variables when you make a correction. Since I only typed in 5 numbers of the VIN round one, no matter what I did, it kept reporting an error. This time was starting from scratch, did everything ok, and it took it perfectly. So now I am poorer, but official. Or officially poorer.

Do I get a button and a hat? I'll bet I don't get ANYTHING as cool as my Mind The Gap thong from London!

Oh, and GunGuy...how about street adDress. Just for some of us who are retentive.

Blah, blah, blah

Molly, go tan your top!
    thegunguy

I was just re- reading some of these posts...

Quote Originally Posted by zed8
    Congratulations Andrew.

Also today I received BMW Z8 special print booklet, first issue of BMW Z8 Club magazine, statue of the club, a leather key fob (same leather key fob we all have) and a cd including tons of pictures taken during the tour to Switzerland from BMW Z8 Club. This is a very serious club, and I'm proud of being a member of such a club.

What statue of the club? are you referring to? I am a member too and got all you mention but I did not get a statue?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Statute.......

You can download it in the top post!!!
    Andrew Macpherson

My member kit arrived today!

Wow, just over a week - not bad considering it came from Europe. I love German efficiency.

Thanks J?rgen!
    thegunguy

After just three years the Z8 Club has many feathers in it's cap in terms of the events and adventures it has planned, and executed, but most impressive of all is that it is the only truly international club amongst the large family of BMW's officially accredited owner's clubs, and now has over 500 members in 17 countries!

Congratulations, and here's looking forward to gr8 Z8 in 08 memories!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I am a brand new member from the desert in Southern Cal. I'm excited and amazed about the Z8 Club as I only recently knew it existed. I've already recruited another Z8 owner who will be joining if he has not done so already.

Looking forward to some exciting Z8 things to come!

Debbie Spaletto

Welcome to the board, and the Club too!

The Club itself doesn't do any events here in the US, all their events are in Europe, but we keep the home fires going by amusing ourselves as much as we can with local and national events! You can see what we have coming up over in the Drives, Trips and Events section of the forum, and the Club will keep you updated on their events in the EU. I try to go to at least one a year, and they have all been incredible adventures, they really know how to put on a great event over there! You can also find some of the past events like the Villa D'Este and the Mille Miglia in the Drives, Trips and Events section of the forum.
    Andrew Macpherson