Thread: BMW's Roundel, the full story.

BMW's Roundel, the full story.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

And what they glossed over, calling "The Bavarian colors", is the traditional Bavarian Coat of arms & Flag that was reinterpreted into the center.

Z8Mania
    I knew it! BMW is very protective over their brand- and they should be.

I've told this story before, but it's fitting.... here's the short version.

When I was in Design school at Art Center in Pasadena, I was given a project to redesign a famous brand... for reasons I can't remember, I chose the BMW logo to redesign. I had never owned one, and knew nothing about the brand, other than the great cars (it was the 80's). I redesigned it and had to present my solution to the class with an articulate rational. Being the early 80's, research was not easy (no internet) so I made up what seemed like a credible story. I described the old logo as a tired visual legacy based on heraldic origins, then proceeded to present my modern interpretation (no idea if it still exists in a closet somewhere). The presentation went well, the teacher and class "bought" my tale, hook, line, and sinker.

Years later, I heard the "Official story" (which turned out to be "marketing spin" pun intended) about the BMW logo being derivative of it's aeronautic engines, and I figured I was lucky to have pulled off such a yarn! But, it has always been obvious that the BMW logo goes back way beyond the 20th century. It's nice to see I wasn't totally FOS... merely logically observant. How could anyone miss the heraldic roots?

Z8Mania
    good stuff.

Indeed, wish they give our team a crack at doing a campaign now!!
    Andrew Macpherson

You and Clive and I would kill it!

Z8Mania
    Yes you would. I'm not a fan of their more recent marketing campaigns. They have left it to Audi to eat their lunch. And Audi also has a product mix that can do that. Audi has the R8. BMW has.... ? The X6?

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    My neighbor just bought a X6. I drive by it almost every day. Not my favorite BMW design. I like the 5 series wagons but currently BMW does not offer one here in the US. I say drop the X6 and bring in the new 5 series in a wagon.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

It is strange how such an ugly, impractical and environmentally disastrous car seems so important to them.

I hope we'll see more things like a lighter, sportier and more attractive 1 Series M car, a vehicle I like in theory, but it's still too ugly and too heavy.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    They are trying to get first mover advantage into niches. Anyway I signed up for the i8 which I think is fantastic. Now we just have to see if they will build it.

The i8 is a great concept, but as much as it pains me to say it, it isn't as attractive as the Fisker.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I think its different looks- ones a sports sedan and the other is a sports coupe. I think both look fantastic.

I wish BMW would stop making X6s- (and X4s which are coming) and the M versions of them and stop sponsoring golf and sailing and get back into F1...

I totally agree, the way they left F1 just makes them looks like poor loosers, and the golf and the sailing just doesn't matter. I'm hearing VAG are talking about bringing the VW badge into F1, though it would seem to make more sense to badge it as an Audi since they own Le Mans and are creating an incredible sports brand.

While we're on the subject of BMW's heritage I thought these pix I was sent in would make a nice bit of eye candy for the morning!

Andrew Macpherson

For us enthusiasts, it doesn't make sense to not be focused on motorsport, but their sales performance suggests that their product line and marketing are very effective.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Still wish they had incorporated the hood scope into the Z8 for heritage, oh well, that is a great retro mod hood project. I think it would have been sweet to add it into the design.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels