Thread: Steering Wheel Vibration - but not all the time

Steering Wheel Vibration - but not all the time

I have a intermittent steering wheel vibration that occurs about every other time I drive the car.

It started about 6 months ago. I originally thought the vibration was due to the old tires on the car (the tires were 9 years old) and the possibility that one of wheels was out of balance.

Well, I replaced the tires and the wheels were rebalanced and the vibration is still there. The only consistent thing about the vibration is that it happens at about 60 mph. If I take my hand off the steering wheel as it happens I can see the steering wheel go from side to side - not a lot but it's troublesome especially as it doesn't happen each time I drive the car.

I've also had the car aligned at the BMW dealer after the new tires and had them do a visual check of the front suspension. They didn't find anything wrong (at least visually) from their suspension check.

So now I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I forgot to add that my car is fairly low mileage. I'm at about 12,500 miles now.

Not sure if you noticed this thread in the stickies above, but it should give you a good starting point.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

i find the car is also very sensitive to road surface. A road that looks smooth can still cause that. It always freaks me out, but then it goes away when the surface changes. Try different roads, and see if it's related. Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Not sure if you noticed this thread in the stickies above, but it should give you a good starting point.
    I've read that thread numerous times and I'm not sure what to have checked next. Of course when I took the car to the dealer and had them road test it after the alignment and suspension check, the car performed flawlessly. My local dealer services about 3 Z8's regularly and they haven't seen this issue before.

Do I start with new bushings? Would they need to be replaced with only 12k miles?

Z8Mania
    I think Andrew may have it nailed but here are my questions anyway- did you have it "road force" balanced? Does your car have domed shock towers?

I had the issue of 3 out of my 4 Z8's. I never cured it on the first two, but on this one I relpaced all the bushings as listed on the linked thread, and it cured it. That said it can also be caused by all the other things listed, either alone or in combination, so it'll just take a bit of process of elimination-ing.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Front end shimmies are the worst. So many causes. Definitely do the road force balance.
    thegunguy

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if the wheels/tires were road force balanced so I'll start there.