Thread: Top Gear Jaguar

Top Gear Jaguar

The recent top Gear had a nice Clarkson tribute to the original E-Type and then a glowing recommendation of the Eagle Speedster recreation.

In profile they have deepened the body and to my eyes it is not as nice as the original. But the overhead shots had me doing a double take as it looks somewhat similar to the Z8.

http://www.jaguarspeedster.com/

Still bugs me that the Z8 got such a negative review from Clarkson. In fact I don't recall ever seeing a good review in the UK press. My favorite line (I don't recall the source) went something like "the interior can be best described as a pimp's boudoir".

I think the screen looks too a bit low for practicality, but otherwise I like it.

On the UK press and our Z8, Car magazine gave it a great review, and it was actually the article that cemented my desire to buy it. Sure they liked the Ferarri better, but they loved the Z8 too.

You can find that story, and all the other road tests of the car over here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wow, I really like that. And I might even fit. Don't like the rear plate opening as it chops off the beautiful tail... but the rest is great. Nice post, thanks.

Z8Mania
    I saw that also and I really do like it.

The E-Type is definitely alive in the Z8 design, even if it's unintentional. However, while I've always liked the E-Type, it's proportions make it an odd duck. It's like a ratio got botched in translating it from a drawing/model to sheet metal. This may be one of the strongest parts of the Z8 design - it's so perfectly balanced.

I very much like the windscreen on this new speedster, and their color choice isn't too shabby!

Clarkson's good for a laugh, and that's about it. It it's not a smoking drift machine, a Jag, a Land Rover, or an Alpha, he probably hates it. His reviews are notoriously inconsistent and slanted. I'm actually watching the old episodes on Netflix these days, and I saw the Alpina review again the other night. It's so obvious that he tried to make it look bad, only to have the Stig turn in a "shockingly" fast lap time in the mixed up "boulevard cruiser". Then the very next week he lauds over the DB7, which is a dreadfully old and tired car, for much of the same behaviors as the Alpina. When tested it was several seconds slower than our beloved car. So, yeah, he's a great source of funny soundbites and video clips, but an proper auto-reviewer - nope. I like to watch the video of him being scolded by the suspension guy at Lotus for driving incorrectly.

I really think his hold up on the Z8 is that they were all left-hand drive.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Funny Rifle, I have the same reaction to the E-Type. Most think its the best looking sports car ever- but to me it's always looked a drop off. Never the less, you have to respect it.

It is "A drop off" but that is part of its charm. It looks antiquated... an early, slightly awkward aero development. In some ways, like a belly tank on wheels. But it is a product of that era, and a beautiful icon of that period. Like most British cars, it's success is tied up in it's quirks and imperfections... "Character".

Z8Mania
    I like character!