Thread: Air Conditioning

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Air Conditioning

Anyone:

I took 0037 out today, nice sunny day, top down, and the air conditioner was on for some added comfort during this heat wave. After about 2 hours, my passenger noticed that water was dripping from under the dash to the passenger floor. I think it is from over condensation from the open cockpit on a hot day, but I am concerned that the air conditioner box may be leaking. I turned off the AC and the dripping stopped.

Has anyone seen this behavior before, or know why this may be leaking or sweating water into the passenger compartment. Any advise is greatly appreciated, as the car is finally approaching its 12K mile checkup after 11 years, 11125 miles of pure joy.

Brian
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

It is a fairly common problem, most everything I know about it is here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Thanks Andrew, that helps and calms my concern, just a simple maintenance issue, I hope
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

ours does it only very rarely during really hot, humid days - so in the Pacific Northwest we have decided to just live with it

Z8 Novice

Thumbs up

Anyone:

Recently after returning from a BMW Z8 event in the Dolomites, Italy arriving after a 10 hour drive, I found out that both floor and floor mats on the left and right side were soaking wet (perhaps the left side more).

Because of the long drive and warm weather I left the roof closed and used the air condition. During the drive it did not rain, so for me it was quickly obvious
    it had to be water from condensation out of the air conditioner.

After reviewing this forum, consulting the former and current BMW Z8 Chairman's for Technical Matters and former President, I realized it's a known problem. He advised me to contact one of the BMW-dealers in Germany who is familiar with the Z8 and BMW Z8 club (see BMW Z8 club Europe references!). Although, with the air conditioning you might run into different problems, it happens to be that "known" problem wasn't mentioned in the forums!?

The problem was the condensation water outlet hose (#5 at first attachment).
    Over time this hose (see second attachment) seems to swell up, closing itself and restricting the outflow of the condensation water, especially when it's warm and humid.

The solution is to insert a small plastic tube into the hose and tie it with two tie-raps (see third attachment). Simple solution and problem was solved!!! (Unfortunately after some other trouble shouting, but luckily before they wanted to dismantling the air conditioning.)

I was advised to operate all valves of the system via the dashboard control panel to prevent any failure, clicking over from the heat to the fan to the AC.

Z8Mania
    Great post and welcome to the board! Thank you. I'm just confused by your last suggestion to operate all the valves via the dashboard. Isn't that just normal operation?

I have not had this problem yet, but this is a much easier solution than what others have gone through. Have you inserted a tube inside the entire existing tube to re-establish a pathway for the condensate or just the last few inches where it drains under the car?

Great post Edwin! I was wondering if it has something to do with aging of the hose. If that is the cause than a replacement (with/or without the tube) might that not be a better solution? The hose is 16,5 euro's and than you have a new one without the aging problems.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Thanks Edwin, but like Jerry I too wonder what you mean by 'operating all valves from the dashboard' ?

Great post Edwin, thank you. (ps: I slightly edited the language to make it a bit clearer :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Jerry,

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion, that's just what I referred to, the normal controls on the dashboard. Most of us don't drive the Z8 often and I have been advised when using the car to cycle the positions between floor, dashboard and windscreen outlets. This could prevent the inner valves from sticking in same position.

KenZ8,

No not entirely, just there where the tube was narrow under the car. (see picture with tie raps). It will be obvious if you would have a chance to look under the car.

Ton,

Good remark. I actually do not know why this was not suggested and why the mechanics and myself did not think about it. I was not there when the fixed the problem, but it makes more sense!

Andrew,

Thanks for that, I was a little rushed when I wrote all of it.

I'm not sure it is an age issue, but rather the humidity, or frequency of use. If I recall correctly, the first we heard of this was many years ago by a guy in Hawaii?. I think issues in florida and Texas too?

Yes, so far I haven't noticed it in CA, but then again it isn't all that often that I have the AC on.
    Andrew Macpherson

You will notice this problem more if you have a passenger and drive the twisties with the AC running. Doing a hard left will throw cold water over the legs of your passenger, and in my case, a scream will ensue. I've not noticed it as much with right turns.

My car has done this since new.

The screams that come from my passenger seat are pretty equal between left and right turns. Never any mention about cold water.

Z8Mania
    Ahhh that makes more sense now.

I run my a/c quite frequently and have not experienced the problem. But then again, humidity in the Phoenix area is low even when it's high (40%ish) even during the monsoon season. I must admit, I haven't checked for wet carpet after a long drive though but haven't noticed it.

Z8Mania
    Same here- I run it all the time but I only put like 1000 miles a year on the car these days so it who knows.

I have never experienced this problem. I live in Iowa and lived in Southern Virginia prior to this (and actually in Iowa before this as well) and I drive the car pretty much daily in the spring, summer and fall as is evident from my 89,000 plus miles. The air conditioning is on pretty much always and the humidity - well, it can be nasty.

Anyway - as stated - so far no issues.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Yesterday I also found my floor carpet on the passenger side soaked ......dutch disease :-)
    Ton

Wet Pass carpet

I had the same problem on my first Z8. At the time, my shop foreman talked to BMW and it was a known problem. They took my car in and fixed it at their cost. (a 2002 two year old CPO car). I went in to see the progress a few times and they essentially had to pull the whole dash and a lot of tubing/wiring to get the HVAC air box drains reworked and intact. After that it never leaked again. I lived in TX at the time and it was very humid.
    My current Z8 has never exhibited this trait. (Another 2002 in SoCal)
    Good luck.
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Sport Button On
    I have my car in BMW of Dallas and they are quoting me 19 hours to get in and repair the issue. That seems much higher than any of the other estimates I have seen on this website. Is that just crazy? I have asked them to hold off for now.

Just read the first posting and you will see that it is just a couple of hours.
    Ton

Sport Button On
    I actually forwarded that to him and he said that if I wanted to take it to another dealership I was welcome to do so. He kept talking about a cracked AC housing which I do not see as a common issue anywhere on this site. Very frustrating conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

He said that the car is dripping condensation so he does not feel like it is a pinched hose which leads the tech to believe he needs to go to the housing to look for an issue.

Just try the easy repair: if it does not fix your problem you can let them install a new AC housing. I have the problem too and I only have trouble when the temperature is very high. In moderate temperatures the AC works perfect without spilling water in the compartment. I think if it is a cracked AC housing the water would keep running all the time when the AC is on
    Ton