Thread: Happy 10th - AH61116

Happy 10th - AH61116

After Andrew posting about his near ten year anniversary with the Z8 experience, I was reminded that my lovely black and red car was produced ten years ago this month.

Below is the first photo of me with my car, when I purchased it form the original owner back in 2005 with only 1,600 miles. Following that is my favorite photo that I've captured since. It's from a trip to Mendocino last summer (2010). The joys of the Z8 are so many. It's been a blessing to ride this magic carpet to incredible destinations, often with wonderful friends.

Happy birthday, AH61116!

thegunguy

Congrats! My 10 year was in April. When you said on the other thread "I just thought of something" I thought you just figured out we're 10 years older now! Like Andrew, so much has happened since 2001, and the Z8 has been there through all of it... less changed than anything (except for a few mods )

And that shot in Mendocino is also one of my all time favorites, just beautiful (I do dream about removing the lens flare though!).

Happy 10th to you both!

61888 was built in July 02, one of the very last '02s before the factory shuts up for Aug, the '03s started to be built right after the holidays in Sept. She is not yet nine, but my first two years of Z8'ing were in 77715, a grey market import EU spec car from France who is long gone, but not forgotten.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    Happy anniversary!

The black with red/black interior is my all time favorite combination.
    62050 - Z8

Yet outside of the garage where dirty happens, Red/Red excites me!
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Happy 10th!!!

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Congrats, 0037 turned 11 this April, many more to come
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Z8Mania
    0055 turned 11 in March

That doesn't make sense? 37 should be older than 55?
    Andrew Macpherson

37 was February production, not April. 55 was March.
    thegunguy

Ah, April was your anniversary, not her birthday!
    Andrew Macpherson

40 years of parts left?

I just realized, after all this talk about 10 years of ownership... only 40 years of parts left! Or do they start counting in '03? I certainly hope no cars go to the scrapper, we'll need all the parts we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    I just realized, after all this talk about 10 years of ownership... only 40 years of parts left! Or do they start counting in '03? I certainly hope no cars go to the scrapper, we'll need all the parts we can get.
    That's a great point. We should start to do some investigating as to which wrecker is/will buy totalled Z8s. I wonder if Dana knows.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

In the not too distant future the task of supplying our parts will be passed over to BMW Classic, the divison tasked with keeping all old BMW's on the road and looking great. It is a wonderful thing that these German companies (BMW, MB & Porsche) all take such pride in their heritage and achievements of yesteryear, I think it'll more or less guarentee that we'll be able to keep our cars in tip top shape all of our lives, and most likely those of our kids and grand kids too!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    In the not too distant future the task of supplying our parts will be passed over to BMW Classic, the divison tasked with keeping all old BMW's on the road and looking great. It is a wonderful thing that these German companies (BMW, MB & Porsche) all take such pride in their heritage and achievements of yesteryear, I think it'll more or less guarentee that we'll be able to keep our cars in tip top shape all of our lives, and most likely those of our kids and grand kids too!
    Yes, but... My e24 M6 is now in the hands of BMW Classic and I find that some times (the exception rather than the rule) parts are on "back order," which is code for we don't have any right and we'll produce it/them as soon as enough folks request them. Sometimes that process takes months. In those instances, it would be nice if we had a wrecker here or in Germany that could provide the part from their bins. Just thinking ahead.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Luckily, much of the car is sourced from other models. So, parts should flow well for some time, and I have the greatest respect for BMW Classic. Where we'll be tight is on the Z8 specific parts, particularly with the interior.
    thegunguy

0037 is pretty well stamped on the door tag 04/00,
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

The date on the VIN is the month it was federalized at the port when entering the US, not the production date. The production date is usually one or two months prior. For instance, my car was built in June, but the VIN date is July.
    thegunguy

Ah, that makes sense, but the stamp doesn't lead to be self evidence of such, with that in mind, then 0037 was made in feb 2000
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    The date on the VIN is the month it was federalized at the port when entering the US, not the production date. The production date is usually one or two months prior. For instance, my car was built in June, but the VIN date is July.
    I'm not sure that's correct or at least it's not correct in all cases. My car's VIN was in place at the Freimann delivery center in Munich and stated built in January of 2003. That very same VIN was in place when I picked up the car at my local dealer with, of course, the same built date. I know it was the same VIN because I put a hole in it with the seat belt in Munich (made me cry). Unfortunately, it now has three holes.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

I could easily be wrong, and I'm sure there are various exceptions. This was just the process that was explained to me by someone I spoke to in Germany on one of the Z8 trips when I noted the difference between my VIN date and the date in the BMW system.

I'm curious if the EU deliver alters the process.
    thegunguy

Well, it is what it is, 0037 is stamped 04/00 so factory stamps rule in my book, it still is VIN 0037, the 7th one made for production sale. But it makes sense that it was created in 01/00 or 02/00, I don't know how long it took to build the first 10 production models for sale by hand, but it is number 6 or 7 made for the public.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Sadly, the DE cars, 31 and prior, have made it on to the market as well, and in from we can tell, there is no special notation with them other than being "fleet" cars.

It's definitely confusing on the door sticker date. My query on 37 shows as Feb in BMW's production/parts system. So you know, I wasn't just backing in to this date based on production to port estimates. I don't know why they don't just use that date on the sticker. I need to look up my X5 when I have time to see how different it is too.
    thegunguy

That is true, but thanks to the wonderful site (Andrew's passion) and purist, the DE cars are well documented and will never be considered true production cars. That is why we document things, and if BMW wanted to improve the heritage of its flagship roadster, it would issue such a statement to put the fraud fire out. right is right, and true is true, but we can't make companies do the right thing, only people can!

Bill Stuart is a wonderful man for our forum and car owners, and it would be great if he could get BMW to step up to the "heritage" story and set the record straight for all current and future owners of the wonderful super exotic and high performance roadsters, still takes a lot of money and time to build a car to have comparable numbers, and it still gets shouts of joy when I take the "grey wolf" out for a spin in the Chesapeake Bay area.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Z8Mania
    Mine's stamped 3/00.