Thread: Its about break dust on wheels again

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Its about break dust on wheels again

I don't track my car, most drives are pretty sensible along with some fairly spirited. I am a clean vehicle freak and the brake dust on the front wheels drives me crazy. I have been using the ArmorAll wheel protectant but its somewhat of a pain. A Chrysler Cross Fire is my daily driver. I recently had new pads (I think there ceramic) installed up front for the sole purpose to reduce the dirty wheels. Just came off of a 700 mile trip in the Texas Hill country, the brakes work to my satisfaction and arrived home with clean wheels.
    Am going to contact my guys at Classic BMW Plano, Texas and ask them about the pros and cons of doing the same to the Z8. Will keep you posted.

Pandaman

The OE pads are crazy on dust. Pat at Classic should be able to hook you up with some, but you can always poke around Bavarian Autosport and the like. I've had good luck with Pagids, but there are several brands that are lower dust. You should be able to easily find a good street pad that will perform better than the OE pad with MUCH less dust.

Oh, the 18" Z8 wheel is a wonderful canvas for showcasing dust. Those big heavy suckers love to get dirty.
    thegunguy

I would stay clear of any "Low dust" pads. I had some put on last summer before the NW Volcano tour, and ended up cooking my brakes. They smelled very bad after high speed runs, then failed (to half power) after a couple hours at the race track. The track was the nail in the coffin! I really wanted Brembos anyway so got those after a few months back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    I would stay clear of any "Low dust" pads. I had some put on last summer before the NW Volcano tour, and ended up cooking my brakes. They smelled very bad after high speed runs, then failed (to half power) after a couple hours at the race track. The track was the nail in the coffin! I really wanted Brembos anyway so got those after a few months back home.
    There are a couple asterisks with your experience that I think make it difficult to make a blanket statement like that. First, you're probably one of the quickest and hardest Z8 drivers on the planet. I'm not suggesting that you're harsh at all, but you definitely probe the limits of the Z8 farther than anyone I've ridden with. So, your experience might not translate to 99% of owners. Plus, I seem to remember that you loaned your car to a less experienced driver during a segment of your drive while you drove another car. I seem to remember when we spoke about your brakes that you suspected driver error above all with him riding the brakes during a tight mountain section. When we discussed it, I questioned whether your pads were properly broken-in before your trip since I seem to remember the car went straight from Dana's to Portland via transport.

I wouldn't suggest a pad thats whole purpose is "low dust", but there are many pads that perform better than the OE fitment with lower dust as a bullet point behind better operating temps, friction, and rotor wear. Do you know which pads you used?

All that being said, pads are a mix of features and should be matched to the car, driver, and application. For Panda, I think he'd be perfectly fine with a performance street pad that would also reduce dust, but I'm with Norcal, going for a true "low dust" pad, isn't wise for all of the tradeoffs.
    thegunguy

I will add that I also tried low dust pads in my Brembos as those multi spoke wheels I have take quite a lot of cleaning, and the feel was not nearly as crisp. I elected to go back to the regular sport compund, and it really is a lot crisper, giving both better stopping and better feel at the pedal.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Agreed, and the regular sport street pad will be much better on dust in most cases. What brand/model are you using?

I so love that new avatar photo!
    thegunguy

The Brembo Sport ones that were in there when I got the kit. I tried a set of low dust pads, but went back to the originals after just a couple of drives as I really didn't like them.
    Andrew Macpherson

Pun not intended, but they're a bit like shoes. Sometimes you have to try on several pairs to find the ones that feel best.
    thegunguy

Indeed, the Pagid track pads were all I used in the GT3 & the Lotus, and they worked great for that application, but I wouldn't bother trying them on the Z8, as I'm never on the brakes that hard
    Andrew Macpherson

As we both know, track pads can be very dangerous on the street as they'll never reach the proper temp range, yielding very poor friction and rotor damage. Pagid does have a line of street pads too that I know a lot of the M3 guys seem to like. They come in our E38 derived sizes.
    thegunguy

Yes Rifle, mine may have experienced "extenuating circumstances"! Don't remember what kind they were, but I'm happy so far with my new ones... the ones that came with the Brembos

Z8Mania
    You all are correct. The people at BMW usually respond when you bring up brake dust that they want brakes that give you excellent stopping performance no matter the temp.

I think if you really want dustless stopping with that kind of confidence you should look to a CCM brake system like the one Brembo makes. I've had these brakes on several cars- and when they have the street pads the brakes work well in every condition Ive encountered. They make virtually no dust in street driving but when you press on them hard enough, they will make dust- but not like the stock brakes.

You'll also likely reduce unsprung weight, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Yes Rifle, mine may have experienced "extenuating circumstances"! Don't remember what kind they were, but I'm happy so far with my new ones... the ones that came with the Brembos
    Your Brembos are great. I'm so pleased you went with the blue too. Your car is now distinctly the Norcal machine.
    thegunguy