Thread: Radio/Nav Malfunctioning - Ideas?

Sport Button On

Radio/Nav Malfunctioning - Ideas?

I have a 2002 Z8 w about 3,500 miles. About 6 months ago the radio/nav unit would intermittently stop working. This would often occur after using the car for about 20+ minutes and would be announced by a loud amplified "pop" coming through the speakers - the kind of thing you'd hear when plugging a component into a receiver when the component is already powered up. The whole radio/nav would go dead (no lights or functions at all) and stay that way until the car was turned off and left off for at least 30 minutes. After about 30 minutes, if re-started, the unit would come back on and function normally for a while but then the problem would start again. Now, the unit has totally failed to start up and won't power on at all.

Any ideas on what this might be? Suggestions on diagnostics? I'd like to avoid having the car taken apart on a fishing expedition if possible.

Thanks!

The original radio is a known weak point, with many cars suffering your exact problem. The fix is to replace with another one or go with an aftermarket unit.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice

Radio/Nav Replacement

I have the same model year Z8. Same symptoms leading up to a now dead radio/nav unit. I tried Grease Monkey's treatment, but still dead. Any coaching on replacing it? Does BMW give us a little assist on the replacement cost? Has anyone just bought the part and replaced it themselves? Seems pretty straitforward. How much have you paid for the part? Any core charge? Thanks in advance for your experiences to resolve.

BMW has been known to assist with replacement parts or repairs on a case by case basis. However the problem with the radio is that the replacements will likely suffer the same malfunction in time. Thus, many have abandoned the original unit for something more reliable and with modern features.
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    The damage can also occur when you reconnected your battery. The power of the battery is a fraction to high for the electric system and can damage your radio.
    The system has first be brought to 12 volt and then connect your battery.
    Z8Ros

Z8 Novice
    Its about $850 and isn't that difficult to replace... No special coding or anything needed... If it hasn;t been fixed yet the next thing to go is the cd changer...

Scott

Z8Mania
    Thats true about the battery power and that goes for any newer car where you can damage electronics like this. Also beware of jump starting the car for the same damage.

Sport Button On
    Mine has been diagnosed with a radio control unit failure (part no 65126924787). I have no interest in doing something other than a stock replacement. Does anyone have a resource for getting one of these via salvage? Where is the most cost effective place to get a new OEM part? Thanks!

While taking my wife for a drive last month, the radio in my 2002 Z8 had the "Pop and stop" symptoms. Inspired by the Grease Monkey thread cited above, I had the radio removed and inspected for poor solders, which were found, but the problem continues even when the radio is off and the navigation mode is selected. The electrical connector to the radio was also inspected. Next stop is a trip to the dealer.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    The radio needs to be replaced. Grundig, the OEM supplier of the radios, completely rebuilds them and they seem to be fine after that. BMW usually will goodwill a good portion of the cost and keep your old radio as a core. I like the modern Alpine radio with iPod in my car. The nav is basically useless in a Z8 anyways. If needed a nav app on a smartphone works 100 times better.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Instructions for setting region specific radio frequencies

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    The radio needs to be replaced. Grundig, the OEM supplier of the radios, completely rebuilds them and they seem to be fine after that. BMW usually will goodwill a good portion of the cost and keep your old radio as a core. I like the modern Alpine radio with iPod in my car. The nav is basically useless in a Z8 anyways. If needed a nav app on a smartphone works 100 times better.
    I picked up my reconditioned radio earlier today at PPBMW, and while there I had the pleasure of wishing Dana well in his new role.

I remember an earlier post about setting the radio frequency for different regions. If it is helpful, the BMW procedure for performing this task is attached. Please note the instructions state to turn the radio on and off then hold the SEL button within 8 seconds... when it should read turn the radio on and then hold the SEL button within 8 seconds...
    Last edited by EDEZ8; February 5th 2012 at 13:47. Reason: Clarification on instructions/Connector image
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Thanks Ed.

Great info, thanks!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Great info indeed , very useful for those of us who imported a US car to Europe. In the US FM stations are spaced min every 200 kHz while in Europe they are spaced min every 100 kHz. Without reprogramming US radios will only tune on even FM frequencies and not the odd frequencies also broadcasted on in Europe meaning some FM stations will be not tuneable at all or will have very poor reception. This note which I have just discovered by accident allows to reprogram a US radio for Europe and eliminate this issue. Andrew this is good info which is kind of hidden here, a suggestion would be to add this PDF file with all the manuals and other useful PDF files. Perhaps this could also be added to the list of differences between US and EU cars. Thanks Ed for sharing this.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Good idea, will do so now.
    Andrew Macpherson

Radio solution

Looks like there is not interest in keeping the original radio units functioning and most of the seniors at the forum went to the easy way and just install an aftermarket solution (alpine, pioneer, etc). However, in the long term, I think this beautiful engineer and timeless design cars should preserve every OEM part and only some correct period modifications.
    I found today Bill Stuart will be out of town for a long period and the refurbished original units are Aprox $1800 usd.
    Any better ideas without sacrificing the original units??

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    Looks like there is not interest in keeping the original radio units functioning and most of the seniors at the forum went to the easy way and just install an aftermarket solution (alpine, pioneer, etc). However, in the long term, I think this beautiful engineer and timeless design cars should preserve every OEM part and only some correct period modifications.
    I found today Bill Stuart will be out of town for a long period and the refurbished original units are Aprox $1800 usd.
    Any better ideas without sacrificing the original units??
    Unfortunately, I am not aware of alternatives to the OEM unit replacement. I tried to have my original radio unit fixed by having a qualified technician check the soldiering of the boards, but in the end it was a waste of time and money. In addition to BMWNA, did you speak with the seller of your Z8 to determine if he will help with the repairs? I am assuming you are a new owner.
    My Best,

Ed

I don't think many of us have replaced the radio, except for a couple of owners who had the idea to preserve it by using another unit in the meantime. I simply never turn mine on because it can't be heard over my exhaust. So far this has worked perfectly, as I have no idea if it's broken😜😜
    Andrew Macpherson