Thread: Awesome paint

Awesome paint

The guy that was detailing my car said: "Is this a new model? 2011?". "2001" I replied. He thought I was pulling his leg.

Although not high mileage, I've got 30,000 + miles on her, with the exception of just a few of the obligatory stone chips picked up from a cross country run (LA to Key West) the paint still looks awesome. I'm not sure what/how they applied this paint but the lustre is still there after ten years and is still looks brand new.

Though she has been garaged for most of her life, and when not in use (as a daily driver) she has been covered, she was located right on the beach so has been exposed to ton of salt air. Not quite the same as driving on salt laden roads in winter but still not entirely the best environment...

Mine is a silver - how are the other colours holding up?

Best,

Carl.

2001, Black, 35k and counting, and while I have many stone chips etc. from many spirited road trips and track days, the paint still looks shiny and new. One thing that doesn't help the black car, is that the primer seems to be very light gray, so the chips really show.

Z8Mania
    Agreed on all fronts. You guys might want to try this- Ive had success on several cars including the Z8.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

I found myself lusting over an east coast Dinan S2 M3 some years ago. It was so beautifully set up and midnight blue over saddle. Only problem it had a rash of stone chips. The guy, NY somewhere, had a detailer who squeegied oem paint on, then polished it somehow so only the chips got filled. I added 3m on that and it was literally as good as new. You could not feel or see any sign of the chips. Not sure how it aged, as I only had the car for about a year. I wish I knew the guy or the process, but have never been able to find anyone who seems to know how it was done.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

drcolorchip

Just purchased two kits of drcolorchip but right now have one arm in a cast but will give a report as soon as I have the opportunity to try it.

Pandaman

Z8Mania
    I hope you get well soon.

Sorry to hear that Dennis, wishing you a speedy recovery!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

My paint still looks great with 50K miles on it. I've got a couple of chips that I repaired using Langka. It's not a perfect repair, but works pretty well and I have no complaints. I know where they are and can find them, but most people never see them. I always get comments about the car with most thinking it's a new model and the paint is part of the reason why.

Panda - Get better soon!

Z8 Madness
    Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.
    62050 - Z8

BMW paint

Many people complain about the orange peel, but I guess I've had BMWs for so long that I've gotten used to it and kind of like it. I find that it actually helps to keep the paint looking better longer (could be my imagination).

About two-thirds of my car is covered by invisible film, so the paint looks "almost" like the day I picked her up. I have a couple of small chips (repaired) on the hood though from my driving in Germany.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    Many people complain about the orange peel, but I guess I've had BMWs for so long that I've gotten used to it and kind of like it. I find that it actually helps to keep the paint looking better longer (could be my imagination).

About two-thirds of my car is covered by invisible film, so the paint looks "almost" like the day I picked her up. I have a couple of small chips (repaired) on the hood though from my driving in Germany.
    Long term, do you think the paint under the cover will start to look different from the rest of the car? I too have the front covered by the clear stuff, but am concerned about the aging effects.
    62050 - Z8

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    Long term, do you think the paint under the cover will start to look different from the rest of the car? I too have the front covered by the clear stuff, but am concerned about the aging effects.
    Yeah, I was concerned too, but I just had the film on the hood and front fenders replaced and we looked really closely at the paint. There was no difference between the front fenders and the doors, which are not covered.

Of course, as you know I have relatively low miles (under 7K), the car has never been outdoor for more than a few hours at a time and gets a wax several times a year. Perhaps it might be a worry for a car that's driven a lot and spends extended periods of time parked in the sun; however, I doubt it. The Z8 has a really, really good paint.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8 Madness
    This is all good stuff.

Thanks!
    62050 - Z8

I have an 03 Silver Alpina and just had it detailed today. The paint still looks like it just came off of the showroom floor. 12,000 miles and never driven in the rain and is garage kept. Having said that, I could not be happier about how well the paint has held up.

Another 2003 silver Alpina here with about 12K miles. Always garage kept and can you tell it's never driven in the rain? The paint still looks great. The car is always hand washed by me and I've learned to do the detailing work... very therapeutic.

I tried the drcolorchip product product on a few minor chips a few years ago and it's pretty good. The paint included in the kit is thin so don't expect the chip portion to match the level of the original paint. But the color match is great and seems to be long wearing too.

Wow, now that is a shiny exhaust, mine always seem to look dirty, even when I polish it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.