Thread: Flashlight Receptacle

Sport Button On

Flashlight Receptacle

I've stumped my dealer. My newly purchased 2001 Z8 has a rechargeable flashlight, but no mount in the driver's side storage compartment behind the seat as indicated in the owners manual. The car was recently serviced and the adjacent disc changer removed to enable installation of an iPod hook-up, and the mechanic claims it was not in the car. The dealer parts department can't seem to find the part. Is this, in fact, a stock feature in the car? Thanks.

Congratulations on your Z8 purchase! My 2002 has the rechargeable flashlight in the storage compartment behind the driver's seat.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Yes, it is a stock part.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Congratulations! Welcome to the club!!

The power connection for the flashlight socket should still be there. I'm betting the socket is a standard BMW part number. So, they should be able to pull it form any other car.
    thegunguy

If your dealer can't find the part, try calling Dana Caldwell at Peter Pan BMW... he knows the car inside and out! Welcome!

I'd bet the socket is still there, but you'd better check your flashlights - they're probably dead - I've had 2 and quit replacing them.
    FWIW - There is one little trick I found for those needing lighter socket power at other than the poorly located socket under the center console door. I found there is a stock BMW part the converts the flashlight socket behind the seat to a standard lighter socket on a 2 ft coiled cord. I use it on long trips to keep various electronics powered up so the console door isn't sticking up. Just remove the flashlight (which is probably dead in most cars by now anyway), plug in this adapter that has the DC lighter connector on the end of a coiled cord. The door will close on top of the cord because it's pretty thin, then you have power that can be distributed wherever the cord can go. It can be routed under or around the seat for a virtually invisible power source.
    If you do this though, there is one small problem - you must reverse the polarity inside the socket adapter for it to work on the Z8. This isn't an anomaly because Orcatek ran into the same problem with the same adapter. I can't figure out why that is, but it was the case in both of our cars - his being a Z8 and mine being an ALPINA.

That's a great tip! I noticed my flashlight was dead a couple of years back, but since I never used it I just put it back in its place and left it. The thought just occured, I wonder if it is one of the more serious drains on our batteries?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Very good tip and points.

For those who are interested, the Part Number for this accessory named "Auxiliary Power Adapter" is 82 11 0 004 073. It says it fits: E38 7 Series, E39 5 Series, E46 3 Series, E65/E66 7 Series, E90 3 Series and X5 SAV. (All cars w/black flashlight P/N 63 31 8 377 861). It can handle accessories up to 3 amps. It even has a special note saying "Special Cable protection for safely closing glove box door." In our case, the top door for the CD player.

Luckily I kept (and found which is more miraculous) the box just in case anyone was interested later. Just remember, you may (probably will) have to open the adapter end to change the polarity.

I've seen the adapter quite a few times at various parts counters. So, it should be easy to pick one up the next time you're in for service.

I got mine before MITM. Works great, and much better than using the poorly placed socket by the shifter.
    thegunguy

Rifle - Did you have to reverse the polarity also?

Too long ago, too many beers...can't remember. Maybe?
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Thanks for sharing info on this useful auxillary power source. It has been such a hassle to have a device plugged into the cig lighter spot. I just bought one of these adapters, and it works great. Yes, I did have to reverse the wires in the socket end for it to work properly. Now, I will not have to be bothered with my arm hitting the compartment door when the wife has her phone recharging.