Thread: Synth Oil

Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

I have heard some not great things about their products from various sources. I'd stick to what we know, Castrol TWS is the oil developed for the S62.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I have heard some not great things about their products from various sources. I'd stick to what we know, Castrol TWS is the oil developed for the S62.
    Red Line makes some great stuff and I use their MTL and gear box oil in the Z8. However, I'm with you on the (only) Castrol TWS for the S62.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Been using Redline fluids for years and swear by them. I have not used the engine oil though as I can get Castrol Synthetic fairly cheap.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Where is the best place to buy TWS 10W-60?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Most BMW dealers will have it, as does Amazon!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Wow- is there anything Jeff Bezos doesn't have?

While we're on "fluids" what is the recommended Brake Fluid please?
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    Been using Redline fluids for years and swear by them. I have not used the engine oil though as I can get Castrol Synthetic fairly cheap.
    "fairly cheap" Really? TSW? Where?

Hi all, I wanted to have you respond to a mod I've made (easily removed). After reading of lower radiator leaf clogging problems and subsequent overheating I inspected my grille and confirmed minimal yet some debris obstructing air flow to cool. Although my car's never run hot the debris issue was a heads up. So, I cleaned out & I've installed a 304 stainless screen to my lower (38") radiator intake grill. It's .048" wire dia. cloth 3x3 mesh @.063" (corn kernal size) holes. Yes, mesh also obstructs BUT no leaves. Your collective thoughts please?
    Thanks, Jim

It sounds a pretty great idea, love to see some pix.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    "fairly cheap" Really? TSW? Where?
    since this thread is from 2011 i'm going to guess the price was around mid-$11 to an even $12

now the best prices are in the mid-$13 range - if you can negotiate with a vendor or dealer for a 12L case you might get it to $12.XX per liter

if you don't have to have Castrol TWS you can get lubro moly, i suspect many will be making the switch once the price for TWS gets higher (especially since the new Ms are not using it anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    While we're on "fluids" what is the recommended Brake Fluid please?
    jim
    anything from tirerack or DOT4 works

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brand.jsp?brand=ATE

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brand.jsp?brand=Brembo

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Hi all, I wanted to have you respond to a mod I've made (easily removed). After reading of lower radiator leaf clogging problems and subsequent overheating I inspected my grille and confirmed minimal yet some debris obstructing air flow to cool. Although my car's never run hot the debris issue was a heads up. So, I cleaned out & I've installed a 304 stainless screen to my lower (38") radiator intake grill. It's .048" wire dia. cloth 3x3 mesh @.063" (corn kernal size) holes. Yes, mesh also obstructs BUT no leaves. Your collective thoughts please?
    Thanks, Jim
    the only S62 engine i've heard of that ran hot due to debris was from an M5 owner with 250,000 miles on the engine

i cleaned out my radiator after replacing the fan and with ~60,000miles at the time it never ran hot, i cleaned it just because i already had the front off