Thread: Long Beach Grand Prix 2011 BMW Update

Long Beach Grand Prix 2011 BMW Update

Decided to fly out again this year and cheer on BMW Rahal Letterman Racing piloting two BMW M3 GT's in the ALMS American Le Mans Series. Last year was a podium finish in Long Beach with the eventual 2010 manufactures championship trophy going to BMW. Hopefully 2011 will be a repeat championship.

New competitors this year include Lambo and Ferrari going from the 430 to the new 458 Italia.

Friday in qualifying BWW's Joey Hand set fastest lap to take the pole at 1:19.090 secs in the #55 BMW M3. The #56 BMW M3 driven by Bill Auberlen took third in qualifying. A corvette C6 ZR1 snuck into second place qualifying.

Should shape up to be a great race Saturday April 16th. I will update the results upon completion. The weather is perfect and the Friday crowd was large. TV coverage is being provided by ESPN2 with an encore showing on ABC.

Go BMW!

Awesome, can't wait to see your pix!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Adding some pix from today. I am not a photo guy. These are probably the best of about 50 photos.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Keep an eye out for the crew from Mothers Wax, they're doing an exotic car corral there this weekend, and are Z8 Friendly! (Look at their leather products packaging and a few others featuring Z8s). Have fun, more pics please.

Z8Mania
    Enjoying the pics and info- thanks for sharing.

PS- if you want to learn how to add some drama to the pics- just ask how to lock the shutter at something like 1/125. Its not hard to do and its fun to experiment.

Exclamation BMW Wins!!!

Z8Mania - Thanks for the camera tip but I just read it, so I missed being able to try it today. Next time I guess.

BMW is now two in a row to start the 2011 ALMS season. It was a great day and if not for a corvette it would have been a perfect day. Early on in the race the C6 Vette didn't take kindly to getting passed by the #55 BMW. Into turn 1 the C6 tapped the M3 and spun him into the wall. That put the #55 car off the lead lap.

Prosche then came into the lead with Patrick Long at the wheel but it was short lived. The flying lizard Porsche smacked the wall with the #56 BMW close behind and the Porsche was done for the day.

Pit stops and driver changes saw the #42 or 48 Porsche in the lead but he went wide into turn 7 and his day was done.

Joey Hand, the winning driver, in the BMW M3 #56 made a daring move coming off turn 6 to turn 7 passing both the C6 vette and Porsche in one move as they were slowed just enough by a slow class of car on the track in GTC. That was the move of the day in everyone's opinion.

Because of a late crash the last 10 minutes of the race finished under caution with the BMW win. I look at it as just an extended victory lap(s) for the crowd.

The rest of the field has their work cut out for them if they are going to prevent BMW Rahal Letterman racing from repeating their 2010 manufactures championship again in 2011.

Go BMW!!!

I uploaded a picture albumn but didn't see where attach it to this post. I will work on that later.
    Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black

Great report, thanks for sharing!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson