Thread: Changing servers again...

Exclamation Changing servers again...

Well we have maxed out our current set up in very little time, so we're now moving to the mother of all servers on Amazon's Web Services.

The swap will happen some time later this week and bring the RSS feeds some of you requested, as well as several other invisible updates to make image delivery much, much faster.

Over the next few days you might notice some oddities and bugs, so use this thread to report on anything faulty that you notice come up. If you have any log in problems clear your cache and try to log in again before doing anything else, and remember it sometimes it takes two cache clears to flush out the old and get into the new site.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I was wondering if something was up. The site's been "wonky" the past few days, but I was making some network changes at home too - wasn't sure if it was you or me.

Cheers to the new deployment. I'll report any of my findings going forward.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Cool! It's working great for me and I'm on vacation playing on the iPad!

All the "wonkiness" from earlier in the week seems to have disappeared. Has the migration completed? The site seems a bit faster to load.
    thegunguy

I haven't checked in with the team as I've been a bit slammed at work, but I think so, can you get your RSS feeds yet?
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    I see the following error message displayed in the top left corner of the window on this page (on every page actually), I am using Chrome:

Not Extended

A mandatory extension policy in the request is not accepted by the server for this resource.

Apache Server at www.bmwz8.us Port 80

Sport Button On
    Quote Originally Posted by keitheva View Post
    I see the following error message displayed in the top left corner of the window on this page (on every page actually), I am using Chrome:

Not Extended

A mandatory extension policy in the request is not accepted by the server for this resource.

Apache Server at www.bmwz8.us Port 80
    Problem resolved, now have the BMW Z8.US icon.

Clearing the cache and refreshing seems to fix all the swap over hiccups, but keep me posted if you find more. Does anyone know if the RSS feed works now, I have no idea what it is or how to use it, so I need some feedback on that.
    Andrew Macpherson

I've yet to see RSS. If the page is capable, you'll see an RSS block next to the reload icon in the Safari address bar.
    thegunguy

I'm seeing quite a few broken links on both the desktop and iPad. They're on forum pages and the gallery. A reload of the page seems to fix.
    thegunguy

Well I can see that the software allows RSS feeds, but I will have to get the tech team to set it up, it is way beyond my understanding. Here is what is required incase you know...

Andrew Macpherson

That looks more like embedding a feed in a forum, not presenting the forum to be viewed as a feed. Or, it could be to enable each thread as a feed, which would be annoying. Do you see any global feed settings? The goal would be to represent recent posts in a feed, like Today's Posts under the quick menu.

If there's no global option, your guys might have to create a filtering page to build the feed and embed it in the index.php or on the forum frame.

These are all guesses on my part.

The menus seem to be working better on the iPad. Before, dropdowns were hit or miss.
    thegunguy

Finally this am, some issues are showing up for me, it's been fine all week. Now some images missing in the gallery... I'll try clearing my cache.

EDIT: Nope, didn't work. Still some images missing.

That's what I'm getting too, regardless of network or device. Cleared cache, logged out. Neither help. Reloading the page seems to solve it temporarily. If I come back an hour latter new links are broken.
    thegunguy

If I click on the photo missing, it loads.

Z8Mania
    This new one seems faster.

And this one should be even faster, we moved to GoDaddy today, seems despite all the sales talk of scalability the limits at Amazon were what kept bringing up the image icon "?" and other little bug-bears.

Keep an eye on things as we will be upgrading to VBB 4.0 (this is still VBB 3.8) in the next few days too, hopefully it won't shake things up too badly, but we have now reached the end of the line for VBB (Virutal Bulletin Board) 3.0 - they have now stopped supporting it, so our hand is being forced to 4.0.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    New server feels faster. GO ANDY!