Thread: k40 mystery

k40 mystery

So while I was underneath the car, I noticed a k40 receiver mountered under the rear bumper. The guy I bought the car from didn't mention it when i bought it and he isn't answering emails now.

Anybody with a K40 installation know where I should be looking for the remaining bits of the system? Shining a light in the front grill didn't reveal anything.

Thanks, John
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Oddly enough my ratty old 60789 car had one installed, and the lights were placed inside the drivers side heating grill in the middle of the dash, and the on/off was down deep in the foot well.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I have a similar experience. I inadvertently activated a previously unknown radar detector. As with Andrew's old system, there is a on/off/volume knob in the driver's footwell. I turned on the system as I was cleaning the leather surface in that area and I subsequently noticed the chirping sounds on start up. I found the front sensor in the lower left radiator grill, I'm still searching for the rear detector. My system has two lights for front and rear radar detection.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

What is the K40?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    What is the K40?
    Radar detector
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Seems like it's common to use plate bezels for the sensors.
    thegunguy

thanks for the hints guys.

I can't find any hidden switches anywhere inside the car and the car never had a front plate mounted. The front sensor could be mounted under the "bumper cover". The rear sensor was hidden under the rear bumper cover. I only discovered the sensor when I took the cover off to get to the differential.

It seems the K40s that are sold today are activated with a remote. Perhaps it is a newer install and I'm missing the remote. Or maybe the previous owner took out the bits he could easily get to and left the rear sensor since it was more difficult to get to.

One thing I did notice is that there is what looks like a small speaker grill about 2 inches diameter in the roof of the driver side foot well. Is that standard on all Z8s?

thanks again, John
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    I believe the Z8 has sub woofers in the floor on both sides.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=65&fg=20

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I believe the Z8 has sub woofers in the floor on both sides
    This is actually a small midrange located on the top of the foot well and it's a BMW part so it must be standard issue. I took apart the lining in the footwell to seeif I could find the k40 control unit hidden under the dash, but no dice. I'll try the passenger side next.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=51&fg=30

The little speaker fits in the round hole you can see on the top of part #9. I think it's the speaker for the phone.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

K40 Owner's manual, installation instructions and wiring diagram

With the radio removed for repairs (the dreaded POP, then stop), the radar detector in my car was identified as a K40 2000 from the markings on the back of the on/off switch hidden in this area. For others on the board with this unit, the wiring diagram, installation instructions and owner's manual are attached.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

FWIW, I think the new combo to have is Laser Interceptors in front and back and a V1 or Passport 9500 in the cockpit.

You Jamb the laser (yes legally) and then slow down fast and shut it off.

With just a detector, you are getting warned you are about to get a ticket.

No, I don't have the combo yet. I just have an attorney fight everything such as the 43 in a 35 I got in October coasting down a hill in my wife's car (Camaro RS/SS).

IMHO
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    I agree thats the combo to have. However it may not be legal- each state has different laws. Some say something along the line that its illegal to interfere in any way with their ability to monitor your speed. The legality I think you're getting to is that radar jammers are not allowed per the FCC as they would in essence be unlicense radio transmitters. So thats a federal problem you wind up with. Its really more of a problem for the manufacturers where as with the laser jammers you end up with more of a possible problem for the user.

Good move to go to the attorney.

Correct on all counts!
    2000 Red over black

As a general rule of thumb here in CA it seems to me that lasers get used more in town. I see them staking out many of the same radar spots here in LA, they've been nailing folks for years at them, which amazes me, seems some folks just don't ever get wise!

However out of town on the great driving roads where there is little traffic, they aren't sitting around waiting for one car an hour, so you're much more likely to find a regular radar in a cruiser out there. Most of the great back roads I love in CA I see one cruiser a year maybe. They really do seem to stick to the highly trafficed revenue generating arteries. That said the V1 has saved me many times, the most dramatic was in Death Valley when I was doing 150 or so, and it went off in the middle of nowhere. I grabbed the brakes, and go it down to 55 just in time to see a cruiser hidding in a slight depression a mile up the road!

My big worry is that they'll start using drones before long, those are going to be hard to deal with, but then again our pals in Iran have figured out how to take them over and land them, so maybe that's an option for the future too! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post

My big worry is that they'll start using drones before long, those are going to be hard to deal with, but then again our pals in Iran have figured out how to take them over and land them, so maybe that's an option for the future too! ;-)

I keep reading about using drones here in the states and of course the first thing I think they are thinking of is REVENUE.

Would like to know the real story on that drone in Iran. Like why we don't blow it up before they sell it to China

2000 Red over black

Well the good news is the Chinese will be able to sell us an app to land the police ones within a year or two! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

In Seattle, they just added a toll to the 520 bridge. This is an automatic system that uses the licence plate and a thingy on the window to avoid stopping. If there's no thingy, they mail you a bill and add $1.50 to cover the charges.

The very first car on Thursday morning to be charged was a Honda CRX doing 76mph (the limit there is 50). The owner, contacted by the news people, claimed they were trying to beat the toll becoming active!

The point here though is that they are measuring the speed, whilst photographing your plate, which seems to be not what the system was designed for. Of course, the local press seems to have missed the rights violations going on here (including someone leaking the details of the first car to cross so they can talk to them!).

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    In Seattle, they just added a toll to the 520 bridge. This is an automatic system that uses the licence plate and a thingy on the window to avoid stopping. If there's no thingy, they mail you a bill and add $1.50 to cover the charges.

The very first car on Thursday morning to be charged was a Honda CRX doing 76mph (the limit there is 50). The owner, contacted by the news people, claimed they were trying to beat the toll becoming active!

The point here though is that they are measuring the speed, whilst photographing your plate, which seems to be not what the system was designed for. Of course, the local press seems to have missed the rights violations going on here (including someone leaking the details of the first car to cross so they can talk to them!).

Agreed on all points. I wondered how they found the first toll payer myself.

Don't they "photo monitor" all roads for speed in countries like England already? (asking cause I am not sure)
    2000 Red over black