Thread: Passenger Window won't move

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar

Passenger Window won't move

I just encountered a problem with the passenger side window. It went down, properly, but is now stuck a third of the way up. When pressing the window button it made the sound of a "click:, then stopped. It will go down slightly, then a slight upward movement, but obviously is stuck and will not raise all the way up.

Has anyone encountered this before with either window? Is this something I could repair / fix, or is this better left to the dealer? Any help would be appreciated as with the increasing heat here in Arizona I can't continue to drive with the window down, or for security purposes when parked.

Please help!
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

That's a new one to me... sounds like a trip to the dealer.

Many of our cars have a pronounced click when lowering the window. Might be related.

I've been working on vehicles since my youth, and I simply hate windows. They're always so fiddly. Dealer gets my vote.
    thegunguy

I just found out from the dealer hear in Scottsdale AZ that it is a failed window regulator that will cost $1,136 installed to replace!

I know Bill Stuart is not in at this time (at least I think he is still in Florida), who is acting in his behalf while he is out?

I don't feel it's appropriate that I pay for this repair on a window that is almost never used so it could not have been due to excessive wear that it broke. I feel this is a defect in the part that it should fail like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpklecker View Post
    I just encountered a problem with the passenger side window. It went down, properly, but is now stuck a third of the way up. When pressing the window button it made the sound of a "click:, then stopped. It will go down slightly, then a slight upward movement, but obviously is stuck and will not raise all the way up.

Has anyone encountered this before with either window? Is this something I could repair / fix, or is this better left to the dealer? Any help would be appreciated as with the increasing heat here in Arizona I can't continue to drive with the window down, or for security purposes when parked.

Please help!
    Sounds like the "window guide." Unfortunately, it's a weak point for most BMWs. The plastic cog wears out (does not take much since it's plastic) and stops turning. We probably don't hear about it on Z8s because they generally are not daily drivers.

I just replaced the guide on my son's X3 (driver's side) this past weekend. I replaced two others over the past year. It is not a difficult job. All you need to do is remove the door trim, which is a couple of bolts and some clips; however, any damage on a Z8 would amount to major bucks. I would probably take it to the dealer.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Just an update for anyone interested, or might encounter this problem. I talked with Keith Casa (in Bill Stuart's absence) and he talked to the regional manager of BMW North America. They agreed to pay for the part (something in the order of $1060.00 - window regulator) and I only had to pay $238 (labor) for the repair. They agreed that it was unusual for this item to break considering minimal usage even though the car has 42,000 miles on it.

My service advisor at BMW North Scottsdale told me that this part breaks on a regular basis on all BMW models here in the desert southwest, as it is made of plastic and the heat dries it out. One item to note if this is replaced - be sure to drive the car at freeway speeds after the repair as they had to adjust my window so it would go up just a little more - due to wind noise after the work was completed.

Window

I understand from my son (a BMW Mstr Tech) that this is a common BMW trait. Weak window regulator cable sheaves (plastic rollers) that crack and fail. First hint is a distinct "click" as the window is moved up/down.
    Apparently there is a repair kit that does not call for the full motor or regulator being needed. Part number appears to be 51337019010 and retail is around $25. Labor is another thing, whereas there's a lot to removing the door panel to access. A real PIA, as my son says!
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Z8Mania
    This is another excellent tidbit of info. Well done Stu!

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    It is rare to find a Z8 where either one or both windows don't make the clicking sound when rolling up or down.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    Mine doesnt.... anymore! I had to replace the motors over the years.

Stu;
    Would your son be able to provide instructions for using the repair kit and also how to remove the door panel in a Z8 - my driver side window mechanism just broke with the window almost closed (maybe 1/8 " down after closing the door)? It was closed when I opened to door but didn't make it all the way back up after closing the door. I would prefer not to spend $1,500 at the dealer to do the repair if I can do it myself.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    John (2002 Z8)

John - I just had the same problem with my passenger side window repaired. The symptoms sound identical. The window was working perfectly one day until the door was opened and shut. The window would move, but would not close all the way. There is a process you can use to try to re-sync the window controllers, but it didn't work on mine. I tried to find the instructions but my cursory search didn't produce the paper. I'll post it here if I can find it again. I hope you have better luck than I did, but I'm also interested in learning how to remove the interior door panels.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black