Thread: Cam sensors

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Cam sensors

The Check Engine Soon light kept going on and off frequently so I had the memory log checked to see what was going on. I was told that the 4 cam sensors needed to be replaced as the engine is mis-firing. The cost was around $1,000 by the dealer. The vehicle has 30,000 miles on it. Does this cost seem reasonable? Does it seem sensible that four sensors should have failed after only 30,000 miles (and 10 years of course)?

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

Sounds about right, maybe a tad high. The sensors cost about $110 to $150 each around the web. I don't know the specified number of labor hours in BMW's tech document, but if I had a full service center's tools and hoists at my disposal I think I could do all four sensors in under three hours. Labor at BMW centers seems to run between $150 and $180, putting this just under your total bill.

If you look on the M5 board, this is a very common repair for even cars as low as 10k miles. I mine at 15k.

This is a friendly plug that all should join the BMW CCA to get 10% off parts and accessories at any BMW service center.
    thegunguy

Sensors = $114.15 x 4
    Orings = $14.52
    Labor 2.4 hours = $432.00
    Tax - $43.58
    Total = $946.70

I'm not too far off the price you were quoted

Dana Caldwell
    Service & Parts Director
    Peter Pan BMW