Thread: Center console latch saga (continues) - 50 years of parts

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Center console latch saga (continues) - 50 years of parts

As many of you read before, the latch to the center console storage area where the mobile phone used to sit, needed to be replaced. But the manufacturer of the part went out of business. After10 months the dealer finally received the part. Many commented on why I received an estimate of $500 for the repair since the part is listed at around $180. Today I learned I will be lucky if they only charge $500. Seems to replace the latch, the entire front console has to be removed. After the technician spent 3 hours replacing the latch, my radio stopped working. So guess what - got to remove the front console again and find out what was hit during the repair that knocked the radio out.

Alas - The saga continues as it is the weekend and they still have the car.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

Sorry to hear that, of course BMW has no control over it's independent contractors, but none the less what a pain!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

That's great news that BMW have come through with the part, hopefully with the help of the Z8 Club.

My concern was that you had stated the part itself was $500, not including labor, which was quite amiss from the standard pricing. By including labor it sounds much more reasonable.

Good luck on sorting out the radio.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The story continued even further. After they installed a NEW radio because they blew out the radio while installing the latch, on the way home it turned out the CD player no longer worked. It went back to the shop and a NEW CD player had to be installed in addition. So finally, after 10 months of waiting for a part for the car and one month of the car in and out of the shop, it is back to normal again. Whew. What an ordeal. What we go through to enjoy our cars.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

Well hopefully thats it for a long while now!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Glad its worked out Jay. Lets face it, with the Z8 its worth it

I certainly hope that the dealer is covering all the extra work that was necessitated by their blunder.
    thegunguy