Thread: IceLink:Plus for iPod for Z8 .......

IceLink:Plus for iPod for Z8 .......

Yes, I've done it. The IceLink:Plus for iPod from Denison USA is available for the Z8 (and ALL model years!

Denison USA makes connector kits for many automobiles, especially BMW. I was browsing the website for a iPod connector for my X5 and noticed they listed one for the Z8 as well.

The IceLink:Plus utilizes an adapter that allows the iPod to take the place of your 6 disc changer. It also allows you to utilize the audio controls on you Z8 radio to control the iPod. It works seamlessly with GREAT audio quality (the same quality as you stock radio/CD) as it plugs into the system directly. Your previous 6 CD buttons become playlists you can program on your iPod, 1 thru 5 are playlists, and with the IceLink software #6 allows you to access and browse the complete playlist on your iPod. It comes with good instructions for use, but limited instructions for installation.

Once installed, it works great! The only drawbacks are that even though the Z8 radio has text display capability, the ID3 files sent to me from Denison are NOT yet compatible with the Z8 radio. (They are compatible with the premium sound in the X5 and the text display works seamlessly, each song scrolls across the X5 radio so no need to look at your iPod at all !) Alas, the ID3 files are beta version and according to customer support at Denison, they are working on the problem. However I'm almost as happy as the day I bought my Z8 being able to listen to countless songs on the system !

I did run into some installation problems. The kit Denison initially sent is the same kit they send to other BMW customers which is called a "trunk kit". This kit included the IceLink:Plus adapter, a iPod connector cable, and a "trunk cable" which was 15 ft in length.

This was designed to run from the rear trunk CD changer to the front of the car. Since the Z8's CD changer is behind the driver seat, installation required seat removal and left an excessive amount of cable coiled up under the CD changer cover. This allowed the iPod to work BUT after completing the installation, there was a noticible 'buzzing' sound when using the iPod (but not the radio).

It was engine interference and the higher the RPM, the louder the buzz! I contacted Denison, they did not have much of an idea as to why, but admitted that they had little experience with installing one in a Z8. It was speculated that the extra cable coiled on the floor acted as sort of an antenna and was able to pick up the engine static even though the cable was shielded.

They sent me a 6 ft cable as well as a what is called a quadlock plug, which allows the iPod to connect directly to the rear of the radio instead of into the CD cabling as two options. We first connected the 6 ft cable to see if it worked ..... no luck. The buzz was still there, so we then used the connector for direct connection to the rear of the radio unit and presto ... it worked, no buzz, no static, just pure music, and all radio controls worked perfectly.

I've been in touch with Denison and informed them of the situation so that future customers will not have to repeat my problems and can get it right first time a round. The cost for the IceLink:Plus is $199, plus tax and shipping. The cost for installation via my dealer: About 2 hours and $200 in labor for the second session. (the first session which required seat removal and lots of trial and error was nearly 5 hours of labor at nearly $500 total, but with this thread and with Denison being updated, any future customer should be able to get done cheaper.)

Here are a few pictures of the process. The first picture shows the removeal of the radio, but I recommend professional installation as you need to disconnect the battery and then reset the radio control numbers after you hook it back up. This requires special coding equipment, so I used my local dealer as they know how to disassemble and reassemble the Z8 without damaging it.

I'd like to recognize the great work my dealer did on the install, and they told me if anyone on the message board has any questions, feel free to give them a call, or if someone's local dealer has questions, please do not hesitate to have them contact them either;

Bob Howard's Crown BMW
    Tulsa, OK
    ASK for Al Hufford in BMW service.

The service technician is Eric and is their current Z8 master
    technician. They also mentioned if anyone wants to ship their Z8 here to Tulsa, they would be more than happy to install it for them ! ;-)

For you there in Southern California, Denison is located in the greater LA area. I spoke with Tom today and he would really like someone with a Z8 in SoCal to come by so they can trouble shoot the ID3 files, which is what is necessary to get the text display to work in the Z8. The files they have now are beta files, work great with the X5 premium I have but I can not get the text to display on the Z8 radio, even though it has this capability with the radio, phone and navigation systems, the contact information is;

Tom Guagliardo / Sales at Denison USA

562 595 5153 x115

Happy Zee8ing!
    Z8doc
    Tulsa, OK

Last edited by Z8doc; April 7th 2005 at 04:22. Reason: misspelling

An alternative path......

From an owner who just recently purchased a red Z8.

"One of the first things I did was add a Denison Icelink to hook up my iPod. I don't want to step on Z8Doc's toes but there is a much easier way to install it that doesn't require the removal of the driver's seat or radio.
    All you need to do is the following:

1. Remove the CD Changer lock box behind the driver's seat.
    2. Unplug the CD Changer cable from the changer (you will need to remove the changer to accomplish this).
    3. Connect the Denison Icelink to the cable.
    4. Remove the gray fuzzy storage tray the cellphone sits in.
    5. Snake the Denison Icelink cable under the carpet up to the cellphone storage area. It is a bit of a pain because the carpet is so tight against the transmission tunnel but is doable. nb: you will not need the 15' extension cable that comes with the Icelink, the icelink without the extension is about 3.5' and that is plenty.
    6. Tie off the any extra icelink length that is not needed with wire ties.
    7. Put everything back together.

I used to install stereos when I was in college so it only took me about 45 minutes. If you are reasonably comfortable working on your car it should be considered about average in difficulty.

Also, note that the Icelink has two different user interfaces. The first strictly uses the radio's head unit to control the iPod and disables the ipod buttons - this is not the way i recommend because it limits you to playing the first 5 playlists on your ipod. The second way is to use a combination of the ipod buttons select the any playlist and the Z8 head unit to control to skip forward or backward to the next song. You can only use one interface or the other at a time and switching between them is a real pain that is not documented very well."
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

No toes stepped on.....

but I responded to this elsewhere on the web too. I think that this Z8 owner has benefited from the trail I was blazing. I began my quest for the Icelink installation in December 2004. I had the first trunk kit installed in January. The buzzing was present. The ONLY cable available at that time was 15ft. I asked for a shorter one and the shortest then (january 2005) was 6 ft. That is what Denison sent me along with a vehicle specific adapter (which I ultimately used and installed). In my discussions with Denison engineers in January, I suggested that only a 3 to 4 fit cable would be necessary for CD trunk kit style installation and that my solve the extra cable acting like an antenna and picking up the engine static. The engineers then said that a shorter cable might be necessary with additional shielding and they would look into it as a possible solution but for me to try the 6ft cable or the head unit adapter to see if that would solve my problems.

The 6ft cable still had the buzz, the head unit does not. As far as seat removal goes, the head unit does not require that. If you are using the trunk style CD changer kit, removal of the seat is not necessary but depending on how big a person you are, that CD changer cover, tunneling under the carpet, etc, is a tight space and seat removal just makes it easier to access.

Even though my post was only recently, I completed this install in the first of March with the hardware Denison sent me in January. Obviously, they listened to my input in January and created a shorter cable with better shielding for CD changer style installation and it obviously eliminated the problems I was having with longer cables. Glad this Z8 owner and hopefully future ones will continue to benefit from the information here.

Good news is that since the head unit works too, the Z8 owner has a coupele options for installing the IceLink and making it work.

The post here also mentions the 2 user interfaces. That is true but the post makes it sound like you can not use the #6 button and that is not true. When the iPod is connected, the #6 button on your radio followed by the scroll forward button (the button you use for forward and backward on the radio or your old CD player located just below AM /FM top left), will allow access to the Denison playlist browser software, which allows you to then scroll through your entire playlist on your iPod, not just the first 5. You must do this while sitting still and not driving as you have to read it off your iPod as the text display feature is not compatible with the Z8 radio at this time (spoke with Denison on Wednesday this week).

Z8doc

Another CD Changer Install

Like the second poster, I chose the trunk interface method. The installation is fairly straightforward, and can be done by most anyone with basic mechanical skills in an hour or two.

1. Removal of CD Changer Enclosure

Tools:
    Regular Screwdriver (hold the vodka)
    T30 Torque Driver
    Ratcheting Screwdriver
    Ratcheting Wrench (usual socket wrench)

A. Remove changer bezel by depressing the four retaining tabs at the corner of the bezel with the screwdriver. Be careful not to break the tabs.
    B. Detach plug from flashlight socket.
    C. Use the T30 driver with the ratcheting wrench and screwdriver to remove the three bolts holding the changer enclosure to the body. One bolt is directly below the flashlight socket. The other two are below the door hinge at the back/top of the enclosure.
    D. Tilt the top of the enclosure forward and lift it out of the car.
    E. Take a moment to appreciate the fine aluminum casting that makes up the enclosure.

2. Removal of CD Changer

Tools:
    Ratcheting wrench with 8mm socket
    Appropriate extension for your wrench

A. Remove the three 8mm nuts that hold the CD changer to the mount.
    B. Disconnect the two wires that connect to the changer (4 conductor & six conductor).
    C. Save the changer and nuts for returning the vehicle to stock condition.

3. Connect IceLink

A. Connect the IceLink wire harness (15?) to the two connectors that were attached to the CD changer.
    B. Disconnect the battery.
    C. Connect IceLink module to IceLink wire harness.
    D. Reconnect battery.
    E. Connect IceLink iPod adapter to IceLink model (DIN plug)
    F. Connect the adapter cable to your iPod.
    G. Power your radio, select CD, and follow the included IceLink instructions on how to operate the IceLink (may differ depending on firmware).

4. Route IceLink Cable to Phone Compartment

Tools:
    Smaller Torque Driver (forgot to look) ? T10?
    Ratcheting wrench
    10mm Socket
    Several Zip Ties (longer the better)

A. Open the locking phone compartment, and remove the rubber bushings at the front corners.
    B. Use the torque driver to remove the two screws holding the floor of the phone compartment in place.
    C. Press the aluminum latch release and lift the front of the compartment floor. Continue lifting the floor out.
    D. Use the 10mm socket and wrench to remove the two large silver bolts that secure the rear of the armrest/console.
    E. Carefully separate the carpet seam in the rear corner of the CD changer compartment below the armrest.
    F. While carefully lifting the rear of the armrest separate the carpet from the driveshaft tunnel to create a space to insert the zip tie, and route it to the carpet seam in the vicinity of the CD changer enclosure (see pic).
    G. Once you have the zip tie (or some other pull device) hanging out the top and bottom, secure the IceLink adapter cable with another zip tie. Pull the cable out the top of the carpet in the armrest.
    H. Remove the cable from the zip tie and route the cable to the front of the phone compartment where near the coiled phone cable.
    I. Reinstall the 10mm bolts.
    J. Reinstall the floor of the phone compartment (rear first) while routing the IceLink and phone cables through the hole in the front of the floor.
    K. Reinstall the small torque screws and the bushings.

5. Reinstall CD Changer Enclosure

A. Be sure to neatly coil the excess IceLink cables, securing them with zip ties.
    B. Place the cables where the CD changer was located.
    C. I did not reinstall the CD changer, but it will probably fit even with the IceLink cables underneath. This would probably look better.
    D. Place the bottom of the CD changer enclosure in the floor first, and tilt the enclosure to the back of the car. You should be able to use the creases in the carpet as a reference to ensure that you have the proper alignment.
    E. Reinstall the three 8mm bolts.
    F. Replace the CD changer bezel.

6. Rock Out!

I hope this helps.

The IceLink is a little clumsy to use with the Z8 radio, but it powers the iPod and provides better sound quality, as if you can hear the radio over the exhaust roar!

Icelink updates??

After complaining to my son that I listen to the same 6 CD's all the time while cruising because I forget to change them before leaving home, he suggested (or more appropriately embarrassed me into) considering an upgrade to ipod/icelink (or as he put it, the 21st century), a situation which would enable me to listen to all of my CD's at any time. Thanks for these posts and terrific directions, but does anyone know if Denison has upgraded the software to use the radio's display for the song lists? I really don't want to tell him that I have trouble reading the ipod display!

Don't think so

I got my IceLink in September, and the guys at Dension said they don't have a Z8 radio to use as a test bench. So, they have yet to enable this function. This lack of testing also means that changing tracks and playlists is functional but at times akward. Eitherway, I can't live without all of my music, and the sound quality is great (assuming the Eisenmanns aren't singing). So, this is a must have for me.

Checking the DensionUSA site, it does look like they have downloadable firmware available, but I've been unable to find the option to display my current version. The version that you can download has 2B2 - the B may indicate Beta. So, maybe they're coming out with something soon.

The thing that amazes me is that I can get a harness for my Z8 with a sub 6k total production and I can't find a comparable harness for my 2004 F150. You would think that market would be a little greater for the Ford.
    thegunguy

Still no specific display

Just had my icelink installed this last week and the display does not show song specifics from the IPOD.

No ipod, now what?

Am I the only Z8 owner without an ipod?

I have a different music device, is there a ready made solution for someone like me?

I should think that the auxillary audio input...

that is sold by BMW and through various vendors like Bavarian Auto, should be able to be adapted so that your mp3 player can work through your OEM speakers. You should be able to mount it with the screws inside the dash, run the wire to the rear of the head unit and then use a splicing clip to get into the power and speaker out wires. If you are unsure, your dealer should be able to help (they have the wiring diagram) or a competent high end car audio store should be able to help.

Alpine also makes a a in-dash unit that you can swap out if you want that has nav, CD and an ext. mp3 input. Just be creative and you will find a solution or..... just buy the icelink and an ipod (maybe Santa can bring it for christma)..... in the end, the cost of any of it is about the same.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar

Gunguy need help

Maybe ICElink send me wrong interface but I am pussled at present how to connect the 2 connectors from behind the CD changer to the ICE link interface?

From the CD ~changer I get a 3 pin connector and a 6 pin connector (the latter with 3 wires anyway) Presume that the 3 pin connector supplies the power/mass and the 6 pin connector the controls.

Appreciate your or others help as the car is now opened up.

Can you also supply me the exact part number from Dension?

thanks
    Z8-NL
    Klaus

Hey Klaus...

My Dension part number is I20-BMW, which is the basic trunk kit that they offer (no DSP or Sat/Nav). This is a little confusing since the Z8 has a navigation system, but Dension is referring to the larger systems (10" screen) or iDrive. The kit contains the IceLink module (small heat-shrink wrapped circuit board), iPod interface cable (~2' with round DIN on one end and iPod connector on the other), and CD changer harness (15' harness with differing connectors on each end - sorry, memory's rusty).

When you disconnect the CD changer there are two plug/cables. These two cables plug into the 15' IceLink harness on one end - there's only one way that they will fit. The other end of the 15' cable plugs into the IceLink module (I think the connector is 8 pin - 4x2).

Let me know if you need additional help, and I'll take some photos of my connectors.

Note, I know of two installations that had high-frequency interference/noise with the 15' cable, but I have not had an issue. If you experience this noise, Dension can supply you with a 3' harness that should resolve the issue. See Z8Doc's posts on this for more info.

Good luck!
    thegunguy

Hy Gunguy

just received new icelink. same problem. they seem to send me connectors which in no way whatsoever can connect with the 2 connectors behind the CD exchanger from the Z8. After having spend about 300 USD on this socalled solution for the ipod appreciate if you could take some photographes.
    thanks if you can and OK if you can't.
    regards
    Klaus

Z8-NL... can you post a picture of ALL the ...

parts that Dension sent you? If I see the parts and the connectors, I may be able to guide you through it as there are a couple of ways to do this. Post the pictures or email them to me and I will try to help you.

I'm in agreement with Z8Doc

Shoot us some pics of what Dension sent you. What's the part number on your kit?

I've been pleased with the IceLink product, but the Dension customer service is pretty second rate in my experience.
    thegunguy

Thumbs up 419 CD changer installed!!!

Finally installed the DICE iPod interface from Denison today using a combination of instructions from previous posts.

The unit truly is plug an play. Once you work your way through the installation process and hook it up it works like a charm. It still does not have song/artist display capability through the radio display, however, that might even be safer. I just have the player on shuffle mode and if the song is one I don't care for, I just hit the track forward button on the radio and get the next song. You can also use the radio controls to change the playlist, album or chapter.

Sounds great and works great -

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Am I the only one that had to put a noise reduction deal in the iPod setup? Finally got it so the engine feedback squeal is minimal, but before that was put on, it could be use as a mating call for an exotic bird!

Z8 Novice
    I recently attempted to have an ipod link installed in my 2002 Z8. The dealer used the Dice Electronics I-BMW-T. This did not enable me to get any text or ipod controls through the radio unit although it sounds great. I have read the earlier posts on this issue. Is the Icelink plus and the quadlock still the way to go or is anybody aware of any new technology? Is it possible to get text and control through the head unit? Should the link connect to the cd changer or the back of the radio? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

No visuals with Dice

Denison has now switched from Ice to Dice for the Z8 adaptation of the ipod. There is still no ability to get text or ipod controls on the radio screen. The new Dice unit does allow one to use the radio controls to change songs, artists and playlists easier than on the Ice system.

I recently did the switch over to Dice as I was having difficulty with activating the ipod through the radio controls on the Ice. Initially, I was surprised that I continued to have problems with the Dice in that regard. The folks at Peter Pan pointed out how to fix that by resetting both the ipod and the Dice unit.

I'm not so concerned with seeing text, but I do like the idea of changing playlists, etc easier. The Ice system is functional to play music but not much more. Changing songs, etc. can be hit or miss.

Ted, if you have time, can you give us a little more insight on the new system.
    thegunguy

Would like to hear more details.
    The ICE link never worked well with my Z8.

sketchy details

I wish I could give you more information, but I really don't have much more information than I told you. I never received a manual. Just some phone instructions that when one is on station selection button #1, the seek button moves you along the songs of one artist on one playlist.
    If one moves to station selection button two, the seek button will move between playlists.
    On station selection button three, the seek button will move you from artist to artist.
    This is my preliminary intake. It does seem to work pretty well that way. Once in a while, I still do have trouble activating the ipod to start, but turning the radio on and off seems to get the ipod going. In any case, it is better than before.
    If someone gets the manual, perhaps we can learn if the other station buttons also do something.
    I can tell you that Denison provided the update module for only $35, since I had already purchased the Ice.
    Hope that helps.

Doesn't sound much different from the Ice, but the upgrade isn't bad at $35.
    thegunguy

You are correct. I only got the DICE because I wanted to get rid of my cradle and they weren't selling the ICE cable any longer. I am not sure that I would have gone to the trouble of changing over otherwise. I can tell you, though, that the system is working more consistently now.

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Gunguy, let me know when you've got it mastered. When you've got the upgrade kinks out, we can try mine!

I'm going to keep what I have. It doesn't sound like the new units is much of an improvement - at least not enough to warrant an upgrade/swapping parts, etc.
    thegunguy

I'm finally getting around to enabling ipod connectivity in my Z. Have read through the posts on this thread. Since most of them are 1-2 yrs old, does anyone have any updated comments regarding the best way to install? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaman View Post
    I'm finally getting around to enabling ipod connectivity in my Z. Have read through the posts on this thread. Since most of them are 1-2 yrs old, does anyone have any updated comments regarding the best way to install? Thanks!
    None of the components have changed. So, I believe the CD replacement install is still the easiest.
    Last edited by thegunguy; May 30th 2007 at 20:18.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Does anyone know if you just order the dice-Z8 box and you get all the hardware, or are there other cables and special parts I need to order at the same time?
    thanks, raj

From what I can gather, you need a shorter cable than the long trunk cable that is supplied as standard, in order to avoid hum. I'm going to install a DICE in my 540i 1st as a test case, before I go mucking around with the Z. That one is a bit more complicated because of DSP, so I apparently need the DSP adapter box.

Everything you need is in the box. It is true that the cable is a standard length for accessing the CD in the trunks of other vehicles. However my own research has shown that the buzz is more based on the particular iPod you are using, not the cable. I have used the long cable in my car (installing at the CD, not the head unit) without any buzz. However, I did a courtesy install for another local board member, that did have a buzz. Now here's the interesting part. When I connected my iPod to her car, it would not buzz (her iPod = buzz). So, I quickly switched the Dension module in both cars (mine into hers, hers into mine), and we tested again. The buzz always followed her iPod. I'm not sure if this is model or unit specific.

Now, you should note that all of our Dension reviews are on the IceLink product (predecessor to the DIce), with the exception of one (The Bender). So, Dension may have resolved some issues in the newer model.

While I have been pleased with the Dension unit, I have NEVER had a good service experience from form contacting DensionUSA directly. Following the advice from Z8Doc, I tried to get the shorter cable prior to install, but after several fruitless attempts to even find a half-way intelligent person at Dension, I did the install with the longer cable. However, like the recent change in the unit itself (IceLink => DIce), I understand that Dension has undergone some sort of reorganization internally or with their US distributor. So, they may offer better service now.

Anyway, as with anything electronic and potentially EMF related interference, each vehicle could have a different experience. So, installing the unit in your 540 (or any car) cannot offer total assurance that it will work without issue in the Z8 (different electronic system, radio, placement in the vehicle, etc.). The install in the Z8 is really quite easy, and can be done in an hour (see mine and Z8Docs walk-throughs). Just go for it!
    thegunguy

As an additional FYI to the post I just submitted. I used a 4G iPod (pictured in my original photos in this thread) for about 18 months with the IceLink. In line with the other comments here, the system worked "okay". You get to take your music with you, but the functionality is a bit lacking (partially the fault of the limited Z8 radio). I recently bought a 5G video iPod via ebay (needed to upgrade from 40GB to 60GB for the ever growing music collection), and it "seems" to work better with the IceLink. There's no new functionallity, but switching between songs and playlists is much faster and more reliable. With the 4G, I would have to unplug the iPod from time to time to get everything to work.

I have also had good luck with my wife's 2G Nano (metal case) and the IceLink.

So, I'm guessing newer iPod models may work better.

Even though the current 5G iPod is dedicated to the Z8, I hope to give a review of the IceLink's compatibility with the iPhone in ten days.
    thegunguy

I'm finally getting to order my Dice unit, and there is some confusion about whether the Z8 has DSP. The dealer says it does but the Dice kit they sell for the Z8 (at a markup) is just the basic kit, and Dice is not sure but said that it would be the same as the older Dension kits. What is comes down to is an extra module or adapter if there's DSP. Rifle, did you order just the basic kit or did you get the DSP adapter too?

Just get the Basic kit.
    thegunguy

Thanks. The pictures are great and should make the job go very easily. Did you remove the driver's seat?

Ken, I removed the drivers seat (very first post) but I had interference issues that others seemed not to have. The Basic kit includes everything needed. The Dealer is wrong in that the Z8 does NOT have DSP. My 2003 X5 does and I installed the IceLinik in it without any problems but the Z8 does not have DSP and does not use the extra cables and modules.

Hope it all goes well.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Initial tests with the iPhone are negative on compatibility with the IceLink. I have a few things to try, but at this point I am unable to play anything.

But the phone, WOW! Absolutely amazing!
    thegunguy

I spoke too soon. The iPhone DOES work with the IceLink. So, I assume the DIce will work as well. As it as multifunction device, compared to the single function iPod, you do have to select the iPod function after connecting the iPhone to the IceLink to play any music. After it's playing, the radio controls work the same as they do on normal iPods.

One thing to note is that the iPhone has the ability to detect "approved" accessories that are "Made for iPhone", which the IceLink is not. So, when connecting the iPhone, it notes that the accessory (IceLink in this case) may cause interference with the "phone" and asks if you want to put the phone in "Airplane" mode (no phone). I just selected "no" to keep the phone function active. Testing call functionality, I observed that the music will fade like normal when a call is received, and it fades back up when the call is ended. I did this with a Bluetooth headset - no part of the phone conversation can be heard over the stereo, but the "ring" does go through the speakers.

My problem last night: low battery on the Z8 - DUH! Gotten out of the habit of using my tender, which is must with the Odyssey.

Again, after using "smart" phones for about four years, I am blown away by the capabilities and simplicity of the iPhone. Certainly, there are some V1 issues (some which may be solved in future software updates), but it is truly a "quantum leap". If only it had GPS...
    thegunguy

BMW announced 100% compatibility with the iPhone across it's model line in cars equipped with BMW ipod/USB interface with or without Bluetooth.

The link is here: http://www.bmwusa.com/owners/iphone
    Last edited by Z8doc; July 3rd 2007 at 03:37.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar
    Is the IceLink:Plus still the only and best option to connect an iPod?

I am not sure if the IceLink was ever the "best" but certainly, at the time I did the connection several years ago, it was probably one of the earliest and BMW compatible ones available. I think there are several newer attempts that may work and many of the newer radiohead units (aftermarket) all now have iPod compatibility to varying degrees. My advise would be this, if you rarely use / can live without any of the "other features" of the OEM radioHead unit such as temperature, the OEM Navigation, etc., and since the OEM Cellphone is now obsolete (TDMA), I would consider getting on the newer radio/ iPod compatible units out there and have it installed. Also would consider a combined Sirius unit too. There are so many to pick from I am sure you can find one that would work.

IF... the OEM unit is something you like and use the OEM Nav for example, I would consider the Dension Unit (no longer called IceLink) but investigate some of the others for BMW compatibility. Be aware though that some of the newer head units have variable iPod compatibility, i.e., they have software or connections that make them compatible with earlier iPods or connectors that make them compatible with the latest iPods. Whoever is doing your install just needs to make sure they hook it up according to which generation iPod you have or plan to use in the vehicle.

Also, consider using the Bluetooth upgrade from Bimmernav.com, if you plan to keep the OEM headunit. It is worth it on long drives.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Thank you, I'll look into those options.

Loving the new Alpine. Once I get settled, I intend to post a review.
    thegunguy

A useful link on Apple's site...

with some info specific to BMW.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/carintegration/
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, the newer models (past 2 years) offer a very well executed integration with the iPod. Even our new Mini plays well with Apple.

Like my new Alpine in the Z8, the newer models allow complete and easy control over your iPod with functionality very close to using the iPod directly. You can do playlists, searches, etc. directly from the iDrive screen or the standard BMW radio.

The iDrive2, coming in the new 7 and refreshed 3 (sometime next month), is said to have even superior interoperability with Apple's products, including nifty touches like cover art display, etc.

Again, I'll go more in depth in my coming review, but I'm so glad I dumped the error prone OE radio for the Alpine iDA-X100. With full USB iPod integration and the ability to do HD radio, satellite, bluetooth, custom background (soon to be a roundel or Z8 on mine ), and large display it's a real advancement over the stocker. Oh, and it sounds MUCH better too.
    thegunguy

Pictures please!! I like the idea of taking the OEM unit out since it is known to be so temperamental, and keeping it safely in a box before it goes nutz on its own, and having something that is better, newer iPod friendly etc.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Rifle,
    Are you still using the stock speakers?
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Yep - stock speakers.
    thegunguy

Well hurry up and get us a full review, and pix please!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Rifle,
    Can't wait to see the pics either. I think the blue colored faceplate of the headunit would blend nicely with the Topaz interior.
    My major dilemma is whether or not I want to alter the stock nature of my car.
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

OH no.....

Quote Originally Posted by gutMD View Post
    Thanks Rifle,
    My major dilemma is whether or not I want to alter the stock nature of my car.
    be wary of that issue, as once you start, it is an addiction. My first mod... the iPod interface. Now.... Dinan Suspenion, Dinan Software, Bluetooth head unit, Delete CDV, Eisenmann Exhaust, Brembo Big Brakes, Beyern 20" wheels, etc. etc.... Oh my, where does it end???
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Wink

Life can be cruel now can't it.
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Does the Nav system still work with the Alipne iDA-X100?
    Andrew Macpherson

No, but I use my Garmin which is much better than an 1DIN nav unit.

Quote Originally Posted by gutMD View Post
    I think the blue colored faceplate of the headunit would blend nicely with the Topaz interior.
    The faceplate is black. The illumination of the unit can be changed between blue and red. The red is closer to the illumination of the instruments and interior, and as a former pilot, I definitely prefer the red.
    thegunguy

I was kinda liking the silver of the Marine version for my silver car!
    Who needs a Garmin when you have an iPhone!
    Andrew Macpherson

The iPhone finds stuff like a dream (esp the GPS on the 3G), but the Garmin gets you to the address better with turn-by-turn directions. I find that I used them both. Too bad the Garmin doesn't have internet access and Google maps because it's truly amazing how handy the iPhone is for finding things when you're away from your home base. Seriously, how many times did we all whip out the phone when looking for fuel, food, tequila, etc.?
    thegunguy

Always, I'm really a fan of the little gadget, the 'all in one unit' part of it really rocks. I've used it in Paris, Rome and all over the US as a nav, I never get lost anywhere now, though Tokyo is still a little worrying!
    Andrew Macpherson

Rifle
    Did you install the Alpine iDA-X100 yourself? I've read some great reviews on the unit, and I'm addicted to my ipod while driving, in particular podcasts, so I'm eager to get it installed.
    Thanks
    Clive

Maybe we should ask Marty as he always has the best info on local spots, and I'd like to do this upgrade too.
    Andrew Macpherson

No, I had an installer do it before we left Texas.
    thegunguy

Good idea. However, I'm pretty confident I could do it myself, with the information I've gathered from the forum, and as long as I have a decent wiring chart. I'm also less concerned about maintaining the original stock condition of the car when looking for additional enjoyment. When you consider the overall look of the car it's a small change for a lot of comfort.

I just wanted an installer to do it so that if they damaged the interior, I could hold them accountable. It's a very reasonable project for the "do it yourselfer", but I'd hate to damage the interior myself.
    thegunguy

I agree that the Alpine IDA X-100 is a great unit. I have one in my Z3 and other than some minor issues with it's bluetooth connectivity to my Treo 700, it is a great unit. Yea, I know I should get an iPhone but I can't stand AT&T's lack of domestic coverage. Blackberry is coming out with a 9500, for the Verizon network, in November that will duplicate many of the iPhones abilities including it's compatibility with Mac OS.

If I drove the Z8 more, I'd probably install the Alpine HU.

Dudes, pictures, reviews, news, c'mon!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Ice-Link replacement - iPod/iPhone and Satellite hardwired

My old IceLink died a few weeks ago and in trying to find a replacement I found the Audiovox Duo which is manufactured by Dice but marketed through Audiovox. It works exactly like the original IceLink except it adds Satellite Radio functionality (with additional tuner). I did not add this as I have plenty of music on my iPod Classic with 160 GB - close to 500 CDs to choose from. My installation was a snap as all I had to do was to swap the control unit and the cable to it (different from the original one) as I already had done the other steps in my additional installation. Post number 4 on this thread has very detailed instructions on how to do the install. Looks much more complicated than it really as due to the fantastic step by step detailing.

Here is the link to the website: http://www.audiovoxoei.com/silverline-duo/

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S