Thread: Who gets the new Lexus LFA

DSC Off

Who gets the new Lexus LFA

Only 500 cars will be built. Supposedly, Toyo will select who will be "allowed" to drive one. And it will be a 2 yr lease, before allowing purchase. They want the car to be "visible"....so no collectors can buy and stow away somewhere. Paris Hilton just got one for her 30th b-day. Bet most cars will wind up in SoCal.

It got very well reviewed, so it seems odd to build so few when it is so good. However I'm not really a fan of its looks, so it would be of no interest to me, especially if Paris Hilton drives one - who wants a girls car!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    The Hilton family uses me to get all of their cars and has for over twenty years, Paris included. If she got an LFA it is news to me. I have an email into her so I should find out shortly. Either way, I think they are just plain ugly. May drive nice but looks really odd.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    This car makes absolutely no sense for Lexus. What brand value does it introduce or reinforce? The most "Lexus" of all their models is the RX. Heres a story line: the quality of Toyotas suffered during the time Mr. Toyoda's son was running the company and spending his time on....... the LFA- a pointles car that loses them money and is outclassed by lesser priced rivals from Italy and Germany.....

The 2 year lease is more than a way of controlling who gets it and keeps it, but also a way of controlling the stories about massive depreciation until people have forgotten about it.

On the plus side- it does sound real good and the displays are out of this world.

There was an article on the LFA in the Jan. 24th, 2011 Autoweek. The world recession has caused them to allocate about another 60 cars to the US. My guess is the supplemental article and driver Scott Pruett's time communicate that word of mouth alone will not get the extra $375K cars sold. You may want to call your favorite Lexus dealer.

Z8Mania
    That's funny. My Lexus dealer could not have been more arrogant and abrasive when I stopped by to see about test driving a LX570. The vehicle had just come on the market- their reaction was as if I showed up to a Ferrari dealer and asked to drive the latest and greatest.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Confirmed. Paris, who turned the big 3-0 today, received a yellow LFA from her boyfriend as a surprise gift. She sent me a picture of the car in her driveway. Still don't like it at all. A tip to LA drivers. If you see a yellow LFA headed your way, move over. She isn't the best driver to begin with. Talk about giving someone a gun with a hair trigger!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    It got very well reviewed, so it seems odd to build so few when it is so good. However I'm not really a fan of its looks, so it would be of no interest to me, especially if Paris Hilton drives one - who wants a girls car!
    The Z8 is totally a girl's car

Z8Mania
    The Z8 is a car for anyone who appreciates cars. The Lexus brand values are cars as appliances, really cars for people who don't really like traditional car values in terms of feeling the driving and who would be happy to take packaging efficiency over things like handling and styling. Thats fine but I sum it up as Lexus is for people who generally don't like cars. So in this brand you make a car that's mission is to be for the "car guys". DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Apparently a lot of would be buyers have backed out. I received a call from our local Lexus dealer just prior to Christmas asking me if I would be interested in one. He told me it would not be a problem if I was in the market. I never even expressed an interest ot inquired, he just knew I liked vehicles. I had to tell him I thought it was pretty darn ugly let alone he apparently was misinformed about my wealth or lack of it. Thought I read somewhere not long ago that you could actually purchase the vehicle, that they had changed from the mandatory two year lease program.

Pandaman
    2001 silver / black

Z8Mania
    They realized what a nightmare it would be if the car would likely depreciate quickly- all these companies want to say they have high residual values- can you imagine when the flagship drops like a rock? It would be reported all over the place.

Heres another story- how about instead of working on the high end sports car which is not a core value of Lexus, nor Toyota, they would have developed brake over ride software for their drive by wire throttle?

The styling is certainly not classic or a beautiful like the Z8, but I do like some of it in a sense of progression compared to other similarly focused cars, like the reborn GTR. That being said, it's so odd for Toyota/Lexus to produce this car as it's such a bad fit for their brand/customer in almost every aspect. The modern Toyotas are about isolation. I've heard the whole story about the owner's son or whatever wanting the car made, and it's certainly a technical marvel based on their racing technology. However, it's just so odd. It's like Martha Stewart coming out with a line of automatic weapons.

That yellow is terrible by the way.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Many things may not compute when it comes to the LFA, but the number one problem is the price.

If the same exact car was about 1/3 of the price, most of us would be on the waiting list.
    62050 - Z8

Room for all

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    The Z8 is totally a girl's car
    A friend of mine who was considering a Lexus told me his wife said, "the Lexus is for ladies and the Mercedes is for men." Without skipping a beat I replied, " and the BMW must be for the best men and women." Of course my hot shoe wife, who test drove all 3 picked a BMW because, "the others felt like they were driving me and and the BMW felt like I was driving it." Within a month after purchase she had her first speeding ticket.

Z8Mania
    Lexus and MB can go fast also...

Someone once said, and I used to believe it to be true that:

BMW is for people who love cars
    MB is for people who love themselves
    Lexus is for people who hate cars

Lately I've been updating my opinion on this as the latest batch of MBs are really very very good and the latest batch of BMWs has left me pretty cold. Lexus is still for people who hate cars (with some exceptions).

Those all leave out Audi and Porsche, which are the two brands I'd be turning to if BMW doesn't make what I want or need.

Would you believe I'm actually excited for the electric Megacity, I'm plannig more solar panels on the roof to have a gas free run around town life, I just hope it is both more reasonably priced than the Mini, and has better range. The E-Tron series from Audi is also looking pretty promising.
    Andrew Macpherson

"It's like Martha Stewart coming out with a line of automatic weapons."

Rifle. that is right on!

Z8Mania
    Yeah, but I didn't make that list up. I don't care for Audi at all aside from the R8 and I m probably the only person who just doesn't like how the 911 handles- I find it very unnatural feeling. I've driven several variants including the gt3 which does have a sweet shifter. I do like the new cayenne though.

I wouldn't buy an Audi, yet, but I have to confess to liking the look of the S5, and I really do like the Quattro 'redo'.

Those in LA will recognize all our usual Sunday drive roads feature strongly in this 'made in LA' clip.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Love the looks of the s5- what a sexy coupe! The q5 also. But I don't love the driving dynamics. And their latest commercials are really really annoying.

I never watch TV, so haven't seen their commercials, and would you believe the only one I've ever driven was the R8 (V8 - not V10) which really impressed me, so I think I was sort of thinking they'd all be that good!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I haven't driven the R8- but I have driven the sedans (4,6,8) and to me, they feel nose heavy and frankly they don't settle down at highway speeds, they become more busy. I don't like that at all. The way this works out in my mind is the 911 rear engine layout has many advantages but its simply not what Im comfortable with; whereas Audi's setup is basically the total opposite- the motor is way forward and the car begins life as a front wheel drive vehicle. With the R8 they had the freedom to put the motor in the middle and guess what- magic. The reviews of the RS5 have been scathing- more or less the reviewers cannot believe its from the same company that made the R8. To me the R8 is a wonderful aberration. I am very curious to see the forth coming Porsche mid engine "super car" to take on the Ferrari 458 and McLaren MP412C. We should probably start a new topic but Im curious to see everyone's feelings on the 12C.

My initial reaction to the 12C was it looks a little bland for a supercar, but I get Evo's email updates, and the one line from their initial review that stuck is this...

No one understands the emotional side to these machines like Ferrari does, and the MP4-12C, for all its brilliance, serves as a reminder. It?s not unemotional, it sounds great in ?track? mode, it steers beautifully and its engineering is intriguing ? but it is a car you admire deeply rather than one you sell your family to own.

Full pre-review here - http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...2c_review.html
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    My reaction to it is that they are bringing "hyper car" level performance to the super car market. It does seem to be a notch better than the 458 in all the performance categories even in its construction- well there its actually quite a bit more advanced with its CF monocell. However, in all the subjective areas it seems a bit flat. When I drive the Z8 I'm not thinking about its Ring time, I'm just saying- I love how this feels. I am going to get a test drive of the 12C- I suppose you have to understand a car coming from McLaren would be more scientific and if you might call that "clinical". Its what McLaren is about.

Did you see Dan Neil's write up?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...370548144.html

And so you have a car that might be taken as a mirror of Mr. Dennis himself. Utterly vanquishing, innovative, a masterpiece of reconciled engineering and accounting. Obsessively compulsively brilliant. And yet oddly flat in affect, a strangely clinical exercise in high-speed, low-altitude mathematics. In performance and dynamics, the McLaren has it all over the Italia. But the Ferrari is emotional, visceral, a whistling scythe of car that cuts off the top of your head and pours in pure automechanical pleasure. The McLaren delivers telemetry.

And so, ironically, you may not want the best sports car in the world. Crazy, huh?

And so, ironically, you may not want the best sports car in the world. Crazy, huh?
    :-) not the me, two Lotus, an M3 smg and a GT3 later, the Z8 is still the car I love and own, and hopefully will always own, yet it couldn't hold a candle to any of the others on the track!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Thats exactly how I feel.