Thread: Z8 with flip out 7" screen installed

Z8 with flip out 7" screen installed

it fits, but isn't too practical if you use the heater...

http://al-eds.com/store/west-hollywo...audio-upgrade/
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Sport Button On
    And the "flip-up"-door doesn't close anymore, which leaves a strange "hole" with the actual unit sticking out. Not what I would want....
    My solution (although much more expensive ofcourse) will be ready in a couple of weeks and I bet you will all be surprised...!

Dutch Frank
    2003 Black/Crema/Black
    Original owner

I don't care for or need the fancy Nav system, but the install on the rest looks great. I could not spare the room behind the seats, or in the trunk though, as I am 6'4" and road-trip a lot. Is it just me, or does "Al & Ed" seem somehow less than a brand you would associate with a RR, Aston, or Z8? Sounds like a towing company in Alabama! Anyone know whose car this is? Andrew?

No, but the work was done at the one just around the corner. Oviously not someone who drives like we do, more a town car and Saturday night out kind of driver. Install seems really clumsy to me, but thats Al & Ed for you. I did one thing with them years ago on my old daily driver Land Cruiser, and it was a terrible botch job. I'd never go back, to me the idea of giving them a Z8 is madness!

They are a Best Buy kind of auot stereo chain, theres maybe a dozen in LA.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Frank View Post
    My solution (although much more expensive ofcourse) will be ready in a couple of weeks and I bet you will all be surprised...!
    I'm looking forward to it.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    I think they did a nice job but my requirement would be to keep the factory look on the dash- the subs look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    I don't care for or need the fancy Nav system
    The various apps on the iPhone are perfect for my use in the Z8 as weekender/GT, particularly since they're continually updated (both software and geo data). With my updated Alpine head-unit, the OE speakers sound better and I can access all my songs on the phone. Then again, my favorite artist is the duet group of S62 and Eisenmann.

Frankly, the fold out system looks horrible to me, but to each their own. I'm with Jerry, keep the simple OE look.
    thegunguy

I assume the celebrity "Friend" is Matthew Perry. Personally, I'm still hooked on Rifle's favorite duo and rarely if ever have the radio on. As far as a big screen nav- once I'm strapped in the Z8 I'd rather get lost and drive a few hundred miles out of my way.

Yup! Better lost.... more driving.

Z8Mania
    Rifle which Alpine unit are you using? Two things I would like to have are sat radio and iphone/ipod integration. If you ever want to make a sonic upgrade, if you get speakers that will fit in the stock enclosures, I bet they will be better and just make sure they are compatible with the electrical output of the amp in the Alpine or whatever amp youre using. Many many people don't consider this when matching an amp and speakers and the results are less than optimal.

My main desire was quick iPod access. I've got an generation or two back of the Alpine iDA-X305S, and I'm super happy with it. The whole focus of this design is use with iPods/iPhones. So, the interface is very much tuned for such. I've been considering getting this newer one as it has an even better interface and a few little updates.

It does have the option for Bluetooth, Sirius/XM, and several other upgrades (HD, amps, sound field), but as I mentioned previously, a sound system is not a big thing for me in the Z8. So, I didn't opt for any of these. However, when I do want to hear some music, this unit is just perfect for my digital collection. I would consider the sound field tuning a possible upgrade in the future to better balance the sound to the driver's position (would need to calibrate at speed with the top down )

On the speakers, I'm there with you. Matching is the optimal way to go, but even just changing to this unit improved the somewhat dismal sound of the Z8 with the original speakers to a much more enjoyable level. I'm no audiophile, but I chalk it up to more power and cleaner signals.

I ran the Apple USB cable back to the old phone cubby (all original equipment removed, including the CD and phone module in the bin behind the seat). The red illumination is not perfect, but it's close to the BMW amber. One of these days I'm going to upload the Z8 graphic to the Alpine for a startup screen.

thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Thats real nice. I like it- Im also with you on the audiophile sound thing- I am a bit of an audiophile but not when Im in a convertible- I do like my music to have some punch though. I would miss the nav with the Alpine unit- thats the only thing its lacking and I can't understand why.

Z8 Novice
    Does this alpine unit iDA-X305S work with existing factory installed Amplifier in the car or does the Amp needs to be replaced?

Yes, it works all the original equipment. In fact, the sound is greatly improved with just swapping to this unit.
    thegunguy