Thread: Service Engine Light On

Z8 Novice

Service Engine Light On

I took the car to Dinan for an oil change two months ago. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on when the mechanic did a test drive right after the oil change. The mechanic said it was the MAF sensors. I replace the both sensors and reset the codes myself two weeks ago. But the light still comes on.

I then used the Peake scanner to read the fault codes. It reads: 1b, 0b, 72, b9. According the tool manual, 1b is the code table. Buy there are now codes for 0b, 72 in the code table 1b although b9 is "Exhaust Camshaft VANOS Position Control".

My questions are:

1) is there a possibility that the oil change itself triggered the "SES" light?

2) why there are no corresponding fault codes in the code table 1b?

Thanks

Jim

Z8 Novice
    I just did more search on this board and found the fault codes from this link: http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.p...ght=Peake+code.

So it looks like it's the Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor for cylinder #5 to #6 needs to be replaced.

Not sure if the oil change is the just a coincidence.

Thanks

Jim

I'd say most likely a coincidence, those sensors and the O2 ones do tend to go bad randomly.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

One of my exhaust camshaft sensors needs replacing too. How many miles on yours? almost 35k here.

Z8 Novice
    Mine has 23k on it. I'll probably just replace both of them. They tend to fail one after another.