Thread: My Z8 Alpina was hit today.

Z8 Novice

My Z8 Alpina was hit today.

So I was parked on the street in Los Angeles this morning, and I opened my car door to get out. I turned to put my laptop behind the passenger seat so it wasn't in plain view, and when I turned back to get out of the car, someone hit the open driver's door.

It made a very sad and horrible sound. I got out of the car and the door would almost close all the way, but not enough to trigger the window closing all the way and to register it as closed. There doesn't seem to be damage to anywhere but the door, but it's hard to tell.

Does anyone have any recommendations for body shops to take it too? Will it ever be good as new?

Thanks everyone for your advice on this sad day for me.

Quote Originally Posted by seanson View Post
    So I was parked on the street in Los Angeles this morning, and I opened my car door to get out. I turned to put my laptop behind the passenger seat so it wasn't in plain view, and when I turned back to get out of the car, someone hit the open driver's door.

It made a very sad and horrible sound. I got out of the car and the door would almost close all the way, but not enough to trigger the window closing all the way and to register it as closed. There doesn't seem to be damage to anywhere but the door, but it's hard to tell.

Does anyone have any recommendations for body shops to take it too? Will it ever be good as new?

Thanks everyone for your advice on this sad day for me.
    I feel your pain.

If you're in Los Angeles, then there is only one place. The Oxnard VDC is the ONLY place I would trust to work on my Z8 (and your Alpina). I would start by contacting BMW customer service, or maybe others here can suggest a better place to start
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Ouch, sorry to hear about that.

I'm with ///M Blitz, consult your nearest BMW Service Center on getting into the hands of one of the Aluminum Repair Centers.
    thegunguy

Absolutely agree, maybe call Bill Stuart at BMW NA and ask if he has a direct contact at the Oxnard Aluminum Repair Center. 201-263-8210
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

If the VDC is convenient and your / their insurance will pay the fees, then go for it. Or ask your local BMW Dealer for the name of the local BMW certified aluminum repair center. They are out there. I have one near me and they are a great shop that specialize in aluminum repair.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Madness
    Very sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you find a way to get this repaired at VDC.
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    If they have to replace the door, you are going to lose the original VIN lable on the underside painted portion of the door which is an immediate tip off to a potential buyer that the part has been replaced. I doubt even the aluminum center can repair it, but ask them if there is any way to save or get a new VIN lable on the replacement part. Try and keep insurance out of it if you can. If not, your car will have a dirty car fax forever and that will really hurt the value of the car. Good luck!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8 Madness
    Very good advice, Marty.

But more and more service centers are sharing service/repair info with carfax (and similar services) and there might not be a way to avoid the record.
    62050 - Z8

I betcha that if ANY center shares info and does everything on the up and up, it will be the VDC.

If you want to hide the repair from Carfax (not a reliable info source anyway), then find a GREAT independent shop. But I am sure that you are an honest guy and would disclose to a potential buyer that the car was hit so a record of the repairs AND an accident report, provided by you, will tell a collector that the damage was not something that should diminish the value TO THEM.

VIN tags are for security purposes only so getting a replacement for the bottom of the door should not be a problem.

Do you have pics of the damage?

You mentioned that the door closes but the windows do not automatically adjust. Is there other obvious damage? If not then you may have lucked out and only the hinges are damaged, causing the latch and sensor to misalign. The hinges can be replaced and maybe the support pillar is intact. If the door was hit while it was barely opened then that force was probably transferred to the pillar and maybe the frame.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Madness
    Scott, agree with you. I was not suggesting hiding anything. Most people on this board don't fit that profile of a person.

But I do have a problem with service departments sharing information on something that I own. The real problem is sharing of misinformation. Once that stuff gets out, there's no easy way to correct it. Sadly, there's nothing I can do about it.
    62050 - Z8

I wasn't suggesting hiding it either. It is just that if it were my car, I would want the VIN tag there. Even though the car had been repaired, it would make me feel better. If the door is not repairable, then the entire door needs to be replaced as they do not sell them in sections. New parts do not come with VIN lables.
    P.S. Being in the car business for thirty five years and with my experience with exotic cars, any damage history hurts the value of a car. I even do diminished value reports for an attorney here in Los Angeles who specializes in getting diminished value damages on cars provided you were not at fault in the accident. One Z8 owner got a $20,000 settlement in addition to getting his car repaired, so yes, insurance companies realize that in todays world, a damaged car has diminished value.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

That is indeed unfortunate.

Although there are several aluminum repairs centers that now do repairs for BMW and maybe a few quality independent shops, it is my understanding that there are ONLY 3 centers approved for the aluminum repair and body work on the Z8, Oxnard VDC, Dallas and New Jersey. Andrew, can you confirm that is you understanding? I personally would only let the BMW Aluminum repair centers that are approved for repairing a Z8 and would definitely contact Bill Stuart as mentioned earlier as he will steer you to the right place.

Good luck with the repairs, and if done by a BMW center to BMW standards, I think you will be in good shape (and so will the Alpina).
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Novice
    Thank you all so much for the advice. I do not have pics yet, but will upload them soon. I understand I will never be able to sell the car for the same price again, so I guess I will just have to keep it forever.

I called BMW NA and they told me I should first bring the car to my local dealer, Century West BMW in North Hollywood and to have their body shop take a look at it and assess the damage. This, they said, was required in order to determine if there was any frame damage or if the damage was just to the door itself. If there is no frame damage, they said, there is no reason to get the VDC involved. I hope this was good advice.

The service people at Century West said the official BMW authorized body shop for them was Network Auto Body, http://www.networkautobody.com/ and so I had the car towed there.

They said they will give me an update within a few days. I will let you all know what they say and ask your advice again. I do not know much about cars or the z8 or repairs, so thank you all so much for your generous and wise advice. It feels so much better to go through this with all your council.

I will keep you all updated on what the body shop says.

I called BMW NA and they told me I should first bring the car to my local dealer, Century West BMW in North Hollywood and to have their body shop take a look at it and assess the damage. This, they said, was required in order to determine if there was any frame damage or if the damage was just to the door itself. If there is no frame damage, they said, there is no reason to get the VDC involved. I hope this was good advice.
    Others here may disagree, but I think that's terrible advice. I would throw a tantrum (quiet and relaxed at first, of course) to make sure that it goes to the Oxnard VDC and no place else for three reasons. First, I doubt that anyone at Century West BMW or their designated body shop can actually assess whether there is frame damage or not. Second, the VDC is where BWMs are repaired in case of damage in shipping and, as you can imagine, their technicians are the best trained. I've done the tour of the facility three times with BMW CCA and their paint booth, etc. are factory quality "state of the art." Third, and perhaps more importantly, you will have documentation showing that the best worked on it, not some "approved" body shop. This may mitigate, albeit not eliminate, potential value loss.

Of course, I've been told I'm weird about these things.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Good heavens, I do hope their work is better than their website, it scores a new low in pre 1995 internet design leftovers!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I've had bad experiences with third party body shops, even if "approved". I would only go to an actual BMW repair center (we now have one close to me, and they are fantastic) or the ARC (VDC?).

Sounds like a scripted response from a mere customer service person at BMW NA. I would go with what Norcal and ///M Blitz recommend. A third-party group is not the way to go, regardless of what Century West says. Sadly, most service centers have little knowledge of our car, and it's even worse when going to third-party repair centers. You should ask how many Z8s they've repaired. The answer will likely concern you.

I fully understand the need to be evaluated before going to the VDC, but Carlos is correct, they likely don't have the proper expertise to do a correct evaluation. So, it's a bit of a catch 22.

Can the LA crew recommend a service center that would be a better first-line consultant on this issue (hopefully someone that will get the car to the VDC/ARC without a bunch of hassle)?
    thegunguy

Agree with everyone above. It is YOUR choice where to take the car for repairs. INSIST it go to the BMW repair center, PERIOD. As for loss in value, if the damage was not caused as a reult of your negligence you may want to pursue a claim against the at fault driver's insurance company. Why should you suffer a loss in value due to someone else's negligence. In addition to getting your car fixed, you are entitled to a very nice rental car and diminished value. PM me and I can put you in contact with the attorney that handles these cases.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    I agree- go to the BMW center. There are three I believe. Oxnard, NJ (HQ), and SC.

Z8 Novice
    So network autobody say that there is damage to the A frame and they want to repair it and not replace the a frame.

I can't get anyone at BMW NA or my local dealer to let me take it the VDC. They keep saying the VDC is a training facility only and that no one can bring a car there to be repaired. Does anyone have any idea on what I should do next?

Did you call Bill Stuart?

So network autobody say that there is damage to the A frame and they want to repair it and not replace the a frame.

I can't get anyone at BMW NA or my local dealer to let me take it the VDC. They keep saying the VDC is a training facility only and that no one can bring a car there to be repaired. Does anyone have any idea on what I should do next?
    HE is the best and ONLY person you should talk to at BMW NA Customer Relations. He WILL direct you to the correct place.

The New Century Body shop in Alhambra, I took my daughter's 135i to for some rear bumper damage, the treated her well and did a fine job but the Z8 is a completely different animal and ONLY the proper ALC (VDC) like Oxnard and NJ should do the repair. A CERTIFIED BMW repair center is what you will need for the evaluation. Most likely BMW will send a field rep from NJ to look the frame as well as the other damage (I would insist on it) and then get the vehicle forwarded to the appropriate aluminum repair center like Oxnard or elsewhere. I thought there was a Certified Aluminum Repair center in Dallas too for the Z8 but not sure.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Z8 Novice
    Spoke to Bill Stuart and faxed him all the reports from the body shop. I will let you know when I hear back, thanks again everyone.

Z8Mania
    Im glad you did. Bill is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Im glad you did. Bill is wonderful.
    He truly is!! We had a chance to meet him in person in Monterey in 2008, and as a group treated him to dinner (another one of Andrew's great ideas) and he is even more wonderful in person.

HOWEVER, I think that Bill has got to be fairly close to retirement age. My worry is, what are we going to do without him? Other than Bill, my experience with BMW NA over the years has been "spotty" although I have purchased eight BMWs during the time, most of which were the top of the model range.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Why do you deal with NA? Do you not have a good dealer in your area?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Not everyone is blessed with a "good dealer" in there area. I fortunately do have a decent dealer here but there have been a few issues like the Performance package that I had to "deal with NA" about and it was me through NA that arranged the evaluation and subsequently the "fix" for my Z8. With the frame issue, my dealer knew nothing about it and there was NOT any response from the dealer's pecking order to get my Z8 evaluated and nothing happened until the issue rolled downhill from BMW NA after I contacted Bill. If you have, as you put it, " a good dealer" in your area, then I guess you are indeed special since you apparently never have had to go to BMW NA to get help with a problem.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

The dealers just don't have the authority. Dealers are independently owned. If the car fails in a way that falls outside of warrantee, they are not going to pay for it, but BMW NA might, as they have deep pockets, and a vested interest. To the dealer, you are just a guy, one of thousands, that they made a few grand off of. That's why we need someone like Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    Not everyone is blessed with a "good dealer" in there area. I fortunately do have a decent dealer here but there have been a few issues like the Performance package that I had to "deal with NA" about and it was me through NA that arranged the evaluation and subsequently the "fix" for my Z8. With the frame issue, my dealer knew nothing about it and there was NOT any response from the dealer's pecking order to get my Z8 evaluated and nothing happened until the issue rolled downhill from BMW NA after I contacted Bill. If you have, as you put it, " a good dealer" in your area, then I guess you are indeed special since you apparently never have had to go to BMW NA to get help with a problem.
    Exactly!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

I do use NA for some things but I always start with my dealer and thus I have developed a great relationship. They have, on a few occasions, contacted NA for me and because of my dealer, my seats and rear window seam were repaired on BMW's dime and my fogged headlights were replaced again at their expense. The warrantee had expired years ago and the work was done all because of my dealers efforts. When it came to the PP, they asked me to NOT have them do it as they had never done one and although BMW was sending a very experienced Regional Master Tech to do the install, they preferred to have me take it to Peter Pan so as to "maintain the high quality relationship" that the dealership and I had.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Who is your dealer Scott? Modesto?