Thread: Tail-lite question

Team Z8

Tail-lite question

Looking for some advice. Am I correct in assuming that the rear panels need to come off to change out the tail lights? I am planning to change to Euro lights and was thinking if the panels had to be removed I'd just wait until one went bad. Also, if not used will the replacement lites go bad if just kept in storage? What would you guys do if you had the lights and liked the look of the Euro rear lights better.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    It is my understanding that the entire rear bumper needs to be removed to replace the rear light assemblies. You are correct about neon losing some of its gas even sitting new in a box on a shelf. Check the date of manufacture on the box. Try and get units as new as possible. If they have been on a shelf for five or more years you may not get a whole lot of use out of them before one goes bad.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

I replaced mine and had to remove the entire bumper.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

I agree with the above and I like the Euro tail lights better but depending on you state, since the Euro tail lights do not meet federal DOT standards for the US, could be a potential inspection violation if vehicle inspections are required in your state. I would check with the State Inspection office at your state level to be sure (although, the local tech doing your inspection, may not know the difference?) Just a thought.

Personally, I would wait go ahead if you have them and there is no inspection process issues. After all, it's is your car to enjoy and if the lights do loose gas over time, well, let the gas go down in the ones you don't like!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I generally prefer amber indicators, but on the Z8, I like the uniform red. Simplicity always wins with me.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    If I have to replace mine, I would attempt to take them apart and incorporate an array of LEDs, solve the problem once and for all.
    62050 - Z8

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    If I have to replace mine, I would attempt to take them apart and incorporate an array of LEDs, solve the problem once and for all.
    I like this idea. I did a similar project on an BMW bike a while back, when pre-made LED units weren't available. Reach out if you want a co-conspiritor.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Will do, could be a fun project.
    62050 - Z8

Actually, I was talking to Jurgen....

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    awhile back and one of the goals for the Club in Germany is to eventually take over the on-going parts issue for the cars as the supply from BMW will diminish over time. One of the concerns was the neon tail lights and the Club was already working on an LED solution but nothing in production at the time (fall 2009). Not sure how much, if any, progress the Club as made on the front but looks like the LED will be the future solution.

I agree Rifle, the simple red does look great - esp. on the cars with Red / Black interior.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Interesting. BMW has profoundly stressed that parts would be available for 50 years.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Team Z8
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll just hold onto the Euro set for now and use if/when the originals go. I do like the Euro version better, even on the Si/Red cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    Interesting. BMW has profoundly stressed that parts would be available for 50 years.
    This hasn't changed.

What Jeff is referencing is that the Club was (of my last hearing) working with BMW Classic (the group that supports out of production models) to find a way to better manage the parts. They plan to keep them in stock, but inventory/logistics of maintaining the parts for such a small model run is tough. You end up with small lots getting lost here and there at different dealers, and many service centers not stocking anything at all, leading to longer repair times. The Club is proactively working to help these issues going forward. In addition, when suppliers or sub-components of the former parts are no longer viable, the Club is trying to step in to have comparable or superior components produced like with better LED lighting.

What you may not know is the Z8 Club e.V. is a quasi-related entity with BMW AG which is different under German law than a simple non-profit group of enthusiasts like we have with the CCA here. This is why you see such tight cooperation between our Club and BMW AG (like actual approved use of the Roundel in the Club logo, etc.), and as time goes by, you'll likely see more things facilitated by the Club.

This is no slight on the CCA, I've been a member for nearly 10 years, and I greatly enjoy the 10% discount on parts and the occasional rebate from purchasing a new BMW. They more than cover the yearly membership fee.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    ^^^^^^^^
    Excellent information!!!

My tail lefty tail light flashes at double time. BMW says I need to replace the entire unit. Does anyone know of a less expensive fix?

Cheers

Sean
    2002 Black/Black

Found the answer on another string thanks.
    2002 Black/Black