Thread: Right-hand drive conversion

Right-hand drive conversion

Found this interesting video of a right-hand drive conversion in process on youtube. It's a rare color combo too... topaz and red!

I'm going to call 'April's Fool' on this one. The car is obviously undergoing some serious cabin upgrades, maybe stereo and nav, but I think some practical joker has just put a wheel from another car (M3?) in the airbag cavity.

It would be impossible to convert the Z8 to RHD without completely rebuilding the aluminum chassis, and even then I wouldn't want to be the road tester for the conversion! The car also has UK plates, which is a major clue, this is exactly the kind of wind up the Brits delight in! :-)

It is interesting to see that car in the UK, it is pretty much the rarest combo of all.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Good point Andrew about the steering column and the structure.

Z8 Madness
    There is a chance it could be real. They may not succeed, but it looks like a real shop environment and clearly the car is under serious surgery.

I saw your comment on Youtube and lets see if they'll share more info.
    62050 - Z8

I consider this as a huge loss for Z8 community. Destroying 1 car out of 8 built is a catastrophe. Very very sad.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

I found another video of this "conversion" on youtube from the same poster as the first video. I have no idea if this is real or not...

The old fart on Top Gear panned the Z8 primarily because it was a LHD car. Apparently, he hates them.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Clarkson gives praise to many LHD cars. So his critique was inconsistent with other reviews. During the period when Top Gear reviewed the Z8 and the Alpina, he had a real loathing for anything from BMW. So, the Z8 never had a chance. He's a "little" kinder these days (mostly with the diesels), but pretty much unless it's a standard British mark, he's not a fan.

His flamboyant, trashing reviews sell magazines and push more viewers to their television and web broadcasts. So, I consider him more of an entertainment figure than knowledgable critic - that and he drives like a oaf.

That being said, Top Gear's "lap board" may be one of the best yardsticks in the media for comparing the capabilities of cars. Other than the weather and the recent departure of Ben Collins (aka White Stig), the test is pretty consistent, and it's nice that the S62 powered Ascari A10 still proudly represents our last century engine in the top 5 (and wow, it sounds amazing).
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    That being said, Top Gear's "lap board" may be one of the best yardsticks in the media for comparing the capabilities of cars. Other than the weather and the recent departure of Ben Collins (aka White Stig), the test is pretty consistent, and it's nice that the S62 powered Ascari A10 still proudly represents our last century engine in the top 5 (and wow, it sounds amazing).
    I rewatched the Top Gear Alpina Z8 episode last night (it's on youtube) and Clarkson trashed the car. The Stig did his lap at the end and the car's time was the same as a Lamborghini Murciealago - Clarkson was not amused!

Z8Mania
    I think the Z8 is really not a traditional performance car. Its not a "race car for the road". Its hard for some to get their head wrapped around that. The steering is tight, but slow, the chassis has too much understeer for a skilled driver to appreciate. Its not a Ferrari nor a Porsche. Its really a romantic car that has massive power and can achieve high performance, but its fun lies in the experience of just driving it. Many of us have other cars in the stable that can out perform the Z8 but ask me which is the most fun just to put around in? The Z8 is very special. The Alpina is really just a refinement but as Clarkson didn't like the Z8 to begin with, he could not appreciate the refinement. He'd have liked a wholesale change of attitude- and that just wasn't in the cards for the Alpina. That said- the numbers the Stig achieved speak for themselves.

To each their own I would say. An example is Clarkson loved the Ford GT. It is a great looking car, and very special, but to my eyes, its 12% too big for its styling (I prefer the original), and I got to drive a friends and I found it terrifying- the visibility is poor- especially for a modern car- the ride brittle and crashy, and I thought the interior is a little too concept carish in terms of fit and finish. The shifter felt like I could easily yank it off. The car did not inspire confidence, but it was FAST. (and loud).

Yet, Clarkson is a great entertainer. He really is - he has a talent for connecting to a wide audience. Last night I watched them go through the Amazon and then the deserts in Bolivia and Chile and it was great. He is a masterful showman.

A masterful showman, but a poor driver as his lousy laps and critique of the Elise so well illustrated!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Right but lets face it, these shows are not really about his driving skill. Thats what the Stig is for. What did he critique on the Elise? Thats a really fun car!

He didn't think the new Elise handled as well as the S1. So, Lotus sent the guy that calibrated the suspension to show him how to drive properly. It was an eye opener for Clarkson. Great bit of video, but there's a notable difference in patience for Lotus compared to anything that's not British.

I do miss my little Exige. Such good fun.

thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Thanks but the link isn't working. Im sure I can find it if I go look. So Top Gear showed this? I give them all credit.

Z8 Madness
    I'm watching the american version of top gear on the history channel right now. It's rather nicely made, but it's lacking Clarkson's showmanship.
    62050 - Z8

So far, I'm not enamored with the US version of Top Gear. The hosts seem too impressed with themselves and just don't have the sizzle they need in their presentations - IMHO.