Thread: Tee shirts

Team Z8

Tee shirts

Hi everyone,
    How come we've never created or even discussed the idea of club tee's. Any interest?

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Great idea. We should have a few to choose from if we do decide to order. Pictures, logos or both?

I'd be interested in a white tee or polo shirt with the BMWZ8.US logo. Let me know skicoach if you need help making this a reality.

I like the idea, but fear we could possibly run afoul of BMW's brand and copyright police. It has been whispered to me in the past that the only reason we haven't had problems with them is we have never tried to monetize the site, or anything to do with it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    What if you were to get a sense of costs, charge only the money required to cover costs (eg no profits) and do a limited run and get BMW's blessing prior to the run?

The only part I don't know is who to ask, I suspect it one of those things that knocks around for a month in search of the person tasked with saying no, and after that is a total no go!
    Andrew Macpherson

LOL on the "total no go". I understand just enough about branding to understand BMW position. Thank you for clarifying why no tee shirts have been produced.

Z8 Madness
    The Z8 Club has an online shop with a number of items. I already purchased some and they all have the BMW Z8 logos, so they must have solved the copyright issue. They don't have a shirt, but that might be something they can do.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

If you truly want a "club" shirt, I'd consult J?rgen as the BMW Z8 Club e.V. has approved use the Z8 mark and BMW roundel in the official Club logo. The Club is one of the few model specific clubs endorsed by BMW AG (I forget them all, but I believe the Z1, 2002, and 328 are some of the others) and that carry a special model specific logo. This is rather special as the Z8 is the most current model to be part of this select group.

As great as Andrew's site is, it does not constitute a club, and as Andrew noted, BMW has gracefully left us alone as Andrew has always kept the site informational only and respected BMW's brands and marks. BMW has been very supportive of our cars and our owner group. I'd rather not see any unapproved merchandise promoted or offered on this site that might put this support, or this wonderful resource that Andrew maintains at his own financial expense, at risk. That being said, I'm not against people creating their own items, as I've seen in the past (even have a few myself). They just need to be kept low key, for personal use, and certainly not for profit.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    The Z8 Club has an online shop with a number of items. I already purchased some and they all have the BMW Z8 logos, so they must have solved the copyright issue. They don't have a shirt, but that might be something they can do.
    I must have been typing at the same time.

The Club has rights to use a specific sub-mark form BMW as one of the limited international clubs that are model specific. You'll note that the Club site and products enforce and maintain this mark consistently across all products and communications.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I must have been typing at the same time.
    No problem, the message is important enough and you've explained the club's relationship with BMW better than I knew.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Z8Mania
    Rifle has it right as usual.

As Norcal mentioned Jurgen would be the one to ask and to see if some shirts could be made for the Club. I'm sure he'd be happy to hear our suggestions but with the Club in charge. Erik

I also have a very high re version of our site logo that could be make into both large and small tee shirts, and also a rather nice graphic silouette that I made up as an idea for an engraving on the original watch that could work too, so I'd be happy to put those two designs into the pot.

Andrew Macpherson

Andrew that looks great and so I have emailed Jurgen about the shirt situation as there seems to be a lot of interest and good ideas. Erik Sorry Gunguy for some reason I thought Norcal had the idea about Jurgen.

That''s OK... I'll take the credit!

Team Z8
    Wow!,
    Did that evolve quickly. Andrew, your image looks perfect. Looking foward to Jurgen's response.
    Chris

Jurgen emailed me back and this website would not be allowed to become a vender of Z8 shirts. The Club in Munich will be reviewing shirts, as an item for the Z8 Club to sale, during their winter meeting. He did say that event Z8 shirts for our drives here in the US made in very limited numbers for that event only are perfectly ok. I will be looking into shirts for the Oregon/Calif trip this summer and maybe we could use Andrews sketch as a take off point. Erik

One other item from Jurgen was that if we wanted to make up some shirts with no BMW logo or a Roundel on them, but for instance just pictures, that would be fine. If there was interest in that I would check with him about using the letter Z and the numeral 8 to see if the BMW statutes control that as well. Erik

Erik,

BMW does not control what anyone does. In fact, they love to see enthusiasts put Z cars on tees. They only care about how the Roundel is used.

I suggest that you just move forward with your plans.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Scott, can you give more details on your experience with this?

Team Z8
    How about the sillouette on the back with just the Z8 logo on the left chest.

Happy to. As President of the BMW Z Series Car Club of America, I have dealt with BMW on these issues and they only get concerned when the Roundel is used and the letters "BMW" when used in a car context. Also, "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is registered and cannot be used for merchandising purposes.

By the way, are you aware of the Roundel use restrictions that have recently been placed on the BMWCCA by BMW?

As you are probably aware, when BMW introduced the Z3, they had planned to call it the Z but were approached / hammered / ragged on by Nissan who felt that they owned the Z label. The compromise was that BMW would attach a letter to the Z, thus Z3, Z1 and so on which is kinda funny in my opinion since Nissan and it's Datsun predecessor used a number followed by the Z in it's product line.

Some years back, the BMW-ZSCCA was developing a tee shirt to sell (yes, for a profit) and asked BMWNA for it's blessing. They told us that although they cannot control what we do, they asked us to refrain from using anything that resembles the Roundel and it's familiar colors. I sent them a copy of what we planned to use and the the head honchos at BMWNA gave us there blessing.

There are hundreds, if not a thousand different Z car images on everything from clothing to coffee mugs and they all complement the BMW product line and that, I think, is what it is all about.

Now for my personal opinion:

If a logo is going to be created, consider one that will work well with both screen / transfer and embroidery. Also, the style of shirt and fabric is important as some fabrics do not take the ink and others pucker when stitched upon.A simple line drawing along with the Z8 logo would be spectacular in both cases. A logo that is busy with detail and color may work as a large screen on a tee or polo but will not replicate well as an embroidery (yep, I manufacture shirts for clubs and no, I am not looking to do this particular job as I would be too costly for a small production run).

The BMW-ZSCCA has used a few different suppliers for club gear and in fact are looking at a new supplier that does individual pieces on demand. I will be happy to keep you posted.

For Erik and Edythe: I have a great supplier in the Portland area who is one stop shop for screened shirts. He has supplied me with designs and transfers for years. If you like, I can get that contact info for you.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Scott, if you are looking for a supplier may I suggest you check out Pandaman's wonderful site. He is a Z8 owner, and has provided some wonderful surprises to fellow participants at our various events.

http://www.pandasportswear.com/
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Scott, if you are looking for a supplier may I suggest you check out Pandaman's wonderful site. He is a Z8 owner, and has provided some wonderful surprises to fellow participants at our various events.

http://www.pandasportswear.com/
    +1 (Yeh Panda!)

Did he do the caps that were issued at the Monterey gathering 2 years ago?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

No, the ones with the round black and grey patch were done by another supplier, along with the t-shirts, pins, grill badges etc. If you ever need their info, contact me.

Pandaman can do whatever you want on whatever tee or other garment you want. Give him a call.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8Mania
    Pandaman is.. uh.. the man!

Z8 Madness
    My vote goes to Pandaman too

I love my hat.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Team Z8
    Ditto that!! Can someone who knows him give him a call? Then we could discuss options.

The wheels are turning - stay tuned!
    Andrew Macpherson

Glad to see we are on to something as it would be nice to have some new Z8 shirts for summer. Erik and Edy

I've seen some preliminary designs from Ian that are fantastic!
    Andrew Macpherson

With all the talent in this club and with the Z8 to work with there should be some very nice shirts to wear. Erik and Edy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I've seen some preliminary designs from Ian that are fantastic!
    He's a hack. Make sure he uses a stroke outline for emphasis.
    thegunguy

I might Rifle! (designer humor...inside joke) Spring sounds about right. I'm swamped with work for a while, but I'll move it along as I find some time.

Hey, Ian, don't forget about Skippy too, we need to lock in our two day Advanced.
    Andrew Macpherson