Thread: body paint

Z8 Novice

body paint

does any body know if the paint is water base or solvent base for silver color z8

Z8 Madness
    I recall reading somewhere that BMW switched to water based paint around 1997, which explains the fragile nature of the paint on our cars (you'll know if you ever buy a black BMW) as well as the common orange peal. On the flip side, BMW is probably adding a couple of years to the life of this planet.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

My memory of the visit to the factory last year was that it was water based paint they are using now, but your car was painted ten years ago, so I couldn't swear to it then. Maybe the team at the Club know for certain.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

+1 for water. Their process is similar to powder coating using oppositely charged surfaces and paint nozzles, aiding in an even coating. I want to say that they're baked too.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Yep- Im 99.9% sure it was water based paint beginning with the E36 model (early 90s).

The change over to water based was in early 1987 and they had tons of trouble with the Glasurit primer "eating" the paint. In the early 90s, you'd see a lot of e24s, e28s, e30s with faded mirrors and aerodynamic (read plastic) parts, which were more susceptible. And please don't ask how I know.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    The change over to water based was in early 1987 and they had tons of trouble with the Glasurit primer "eating" the paint. In the early 90s, you'd see a lot of e24s, e28s, e30s with faded mirrors and aerodynamic (read plastic) parts, which were more susceptible. And please don't ask how I know.
    I've noticed on some Z8s, the color on the gas filler door is slightly faded or of different shade. I wonder it's because of the same effect.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT