Thread: Z8 still got it!

Z8 still got it!

Had a brief encounter with a new-ish Audi R8 (V8) this am on my way to work.... seemed like he had nothing on the Z8. Got me to thinking, how well the Z8s performance has stood the test of time. The R8 is a new, and significant car in todays market, yet my 10 yr old Z8 still has it beat! While the V10 car may have the performance edge over the Z8, as do many super-super cars, not many GTs are much ahead still after 10 years.

Just a thought that ran through my head as I reeled him in... The Z8s still got it, not to mention it's unique style and grace.

R8 4.2V8 0-60 4.4 sec? vs Z8s 4.2, but Nurburgring lap times show the R8 just two seconds advantage... it does have AWD which should help 0-60 a lot too?.

EDIT: I suppose the fact that the R8 uses only 4.2L shows how engine technology has advanced.
    (4.2L 420HP vs 5.0L 400HP... haven't compared the torque specs)

and you get to hang out with all the cool kids (and otters)

I loved the Audi when I drove it, it handles so well, the electronics amazed me on a five hour blast around the wet English country side. It has poise, balance, power and the controls are a delight to the touch, it really warms your heart as you wail around in it, but then you stop, step out, and look back at it. Nuff said.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The car appeals to all groups. When I'm driving home on the 2.5 miles of dirt road I go about 5 mph and every car that comes along in either direction, usually old trucks and old cars slow so as to not spray rocks and dirt on the car. Not infrequently they stop to talk about the car which never would happen in any other car that I'm aware of. It's worth the sloooow drive to keep it nice. Edy and Erik

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I loved the Audi when I drove it, it handles so well, the electronics amazed me on a five hour blast around the wet English country side. It has poise, balance, power and the controls are a delight to the touch, it really warms your heart as you wail around in it, but then you stop, step out, and look back at it. Nuff said.
    I'm with you there. I'm not stuck in a world where design can't move forward, but the R8 is just odd from some angles/details. That being said, kudos to Audi for taking on the world with the R8, though. For the money, it may be the best all-around car. Sadly, I believe that it's a great car that will be forgotten in the near future.

As far as the Z8...it will always some form of "it". For a bag of borrowed parts, it's a stylish GT that can run with some focused sports cars. I keep thinking we're hitting the wall on traction/acceleration, but then something like the new Turbo S comes along at 2.7 to 60 and 10s in the 1/4 mile drives the bar higher (on not so cutting edge rubber, mind you).
    thegunguy

The cars are getting faster, but I'm getting slower, the Z8 is as fast as I need to go now my own odo has clicked past the half century mark!
    Andrew Macpherson

Like a fine wine.......

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    ........ as fast as I need to go now my own odo has clicked past the half century mark!
    Just gets better with age (oh except for the occasional RoadTrip Doctor exams from straddling trees while taking pictures !)
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Has anyone taken a modified Z8 to the drag strip? I know a number of members here have gone the full Dinan route, headers,less restrictive exhaust with the LSD with the higher gears. So with 65 more horses on tap and a 10% better rear end ratio(and the advantage of LSD) would we be looking at about a 4 sec or less 0-60 and the the 1/4 mile in?..... Joshb

I'd guess a sub 4 is possible as it has been clocked low-mid 4's stock. I've never been much of one for hard off the line punching it as it wears on the machines so badly, I'm much more into hours of open road blasts than seconds of super stressful mechanical mayhem.
    Andrew Macpherson

That is a lot of money to drop less than 1 second from the 0-60 time.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Using 4.2 as a stock starting point, sub 4 would be quite a respectable gain. Still ahead of many "supercars"

I believe BMW advertised a 4.6 sec 0-60 time for the Z8. For me, I tried a few years ago to do my own 0-60 times using my own digital stopwatch and never got faster than 4.49sec and averaged the 4.56 over 5 tries. The 4.49sec "felt" the best too. This was AFTER adding Dinan Stage 1 software and adding the Eisenmann Exhaust but BEFORE the LSD / Quaife with 3,64 gears, and adding a short shifter. Not sure what those additions would have on my time but maybe 0.1 sec or 0.2 sec better.

Scott is probably right in the significant cost of the S2 package might not be worth the price if your goal is to lower your 0-60 times and not sure if even that package would get you to the sub-4 sec range. Too me the car is fast enough with the few mods I have and I enjoy the twisties like most of us do and hence -- fun enough for me.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I remember Andrew and I discussing mods for speed sometime back. Our conclusion was that almost without exception, when price is factored in, the best mod is selling your car and buying a faster one.

I'm with you, Jeff. I had grand visions of all the stuff that I wanted to do when I got the car. However, most of the mods fall into the background compared to spending some seat time with friends. Still, it's fun to have one-of-a-kind too.
    thegunguy

Rifle. Ditto on that - the seat time is the key to the fun. However, that being said, the BIGGEST seat of the pants increase i got was from the 3,64 gears.

JoshB, after reviewing BMW's website, they claim that under "performance parts" , addition of a performance differential (includes an LSD and 5% increase in final drive ratio compared to stock) will result in improving 0-60 times by as much as 0.5 seconds faster. IF that is true, the switch from the 3,38 stock gears in the Stock Z8 vs. the 3,64 LSD /Quaife Z8 would mean close to 4.0 sec 0-60 times. (the improved ratio is just under an 8% change in final drive ratio). Again, theoretical improvement as this would need to be tested but based on the "seat of the pants feel"... definitely "feels" faster.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Yep, short of FI, nothing gives as much go as the gears.
    thegunguy

Thanks for the first hand reporting guys! (so I don't have to flog my ride). Yes my car definently feels faster with the before mentioned mods. What I didn't mention is I upgraded to 19"HRE with wider Toyos, so more meat on the ground and about 80lbs weight savings. The end result? Well I belong to an exotic car club out east and from a rolling start or at speed I have kept up with various Ferraris, Porsches,and Lambos but once they start modifying it's over for me.(one guy has just under 1100bph in his Lambo) I am the only Z8 in the club with a few hundred cars so I definently stand out. Just for fun check out youtube (type in cops and exotics) I am the first car pulled over in a long line of exotics on rt 84 in Ct. Apparently some of the club passed the govenor of the state at speed in her limo, so they roadblocked the interstate and pulled everyone over and issued various tickets. The price of letting lose sometimes! Joshb

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    About the laps in the Nurburgring do you know if the Z8 had the speed limited?
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

Talking about 0--60 times, if you went the other way with the gears, and could hit 60 in 2nd, you might get a faster time (eliminating one shift).

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Talking about 0--60 times, if you went the other way with the gears, and could hit 60 in 2nd, you might get a faster time (eliminating one shift).
    Agreed. I'm not sure the 3.64s help with a 0-60 run considering the shift and traction issues. The LSD helps some, but it's not instant either, costing a few tenths. Since the percentages aren't too far off, I'd guess they equal, but the 3.38s might actually win the quick burst to 60.

That being said, the 3.64s are the way to go everywhere else for their more dynamic nature.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I love the R8s looks. I love the Z8s looks. The Z8 is more timeless. The R8 looks like something from another planet. The Z8 absolutely stands the test of time and I have no doubt it could keep up with the R8 around the Ring, but I bet the Z8 driver would be working harder....

There's a nice article in Sept Sports Car Market about how well the Z8 still has it, stating the car is "utterly unique". Can't argue with that one. Also on the NW drive we can bare witness to Andrew's love of "hours at open road blasts". Erik and Edy

As an owner of a Z8 and R8-V10, I can tell you they are both wonderful cars. The Z8 has to be the best car I have ever owned. The R8 is a blast. I describe it as the child of the DB9(comfort) and the
    F430(performance).