Thread: BMW brake recall on 8 and 12 cylinder cars

BMW brake recall on 8 and 12 cylinder cars

Anybody see the news on the BMW brake recall? The press release mentions that certain 5-6-7 series from 2002 are involved. I remember reading that the brakes on our cars were from the 7 series but there is no mention of the Z8 in the press release.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6902M520101001

(Reuters) - BMW (BMWG.DE) is voluntarily recalling 350,000 cars worldwide due to a possible brake problems that the world's biggest premium carmaker said have not caused any accidents.

"In some cars brake fluid has leaked into the hydraulics, preventing pressure from building up. The customer notices this since he needs to apply more pressure to the brake, but the brakes still work," a company spokesman said on Friday.

Chief Financial Officer Friedrich Eichiner told Reuters he did not expect repairs to require great technical effort but he did not yet have an estimate on how much the recall would cost.

BMW's problem, which tended to occur among vehicles with high mileage, was discovered in models equipped with the eight- and 12-cylinder engines popular in the United States.

Around 345,000 BMW brand 5, 6 and 7 Series models built since 2002 are being recalled worldwide. Of that, almost 200,000 are owned by U.S. residents.

A spokesman for BMW's luxury brand Rolls-Royce said it was unaware of any problems so far in its Phantom family that use exclusively 12-cylinder engines. Rolls-Royce customers tend to own many cars and hence mileage is typically much lower.

Nevertheless, Rolls-Royce will ask all 5,800 Phantom customers to bring their vehicles to a garage for inspection.

"No Rolls-Royce Ghosts were impacted," the spokesman said.

BMW shares fell 2 percent by 1248 GMT, lagging an 0.7 percent decline in the STOXX European car sector index .SXAP.

Recalls typically are more damaging to a brand's image than to its bottom line due to provisions booked with the sale of vehicles.

BMW's move is not a recall in the strictest sense, a term generally reserved for a compulsory measure required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), often in conjunction with serious safety issues.

Forced recalls can lead to a public relations disaster for a company, as Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) discovered after issues with unintended acceleration in some models made the Japanese carmaker recall millions of vehicles.

(Reporting by Irene Preisinger and Christiaan Hetzner; Editing by Michael Shields)

I believe our brakes are from the E38 7, not the E65. It might be worth a call the BMW NA to check to see if we are/should be included in the group.
    thegunguy

I just spoke to Bill Stuart, and can confirm the recall doesn't afffect our cars.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Our brakes were from the E38 750 (V12).

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Our brakes were from the E38 750 (V12).
    I heard it was the armored 7.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I just spoke to Bill Stuart, and can confirm the recall doesn't afffect our cars.
    Good to know, thanks!

Z8Mania
    I believe it was the V12. I know the B7 uses the brakes from the protection version. Maybe it was? Either way- they were the biggest baddest brakes BMW had at the time.

I have always been led to understand it was the protection version brakes, but maybe the V12 had the same ones too, it would seem logical since they're both the same chassis, so the brakes must be the same size and ability.
    Andrew Macpherson

I just looked up the specs, and they match the diameter of the standard e38 V12 at 334mm. The protection model used 348mm. While the measurements are the same as the standard V12, the part numbers differ. My guess is the hat offsets are different, necessitating a different part number. The pad part number/spec matches the standard V12 exactly. So, it looks pretty strong that the rotors are a variant of the standard V12, not the protection model V12.

I love tracing the Z8 part family tree. The car really is a frankenstein project from BMW's parts bin - a mix of e38, e39, e52, and e65.

Oh, and for the OP, the reason all this matters is the e38 (all versions) went out of production in 2001. The recall notice pertains to 2002 vehicles and beyond. We've got the ancient parts.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    My guess is the hat offsets are different, necessitating a different part number.
    I can confirm that. When I first bought my Z8 I also bought a set of e38 cross-drilled rotors from a famous tuner that was closing them out thinking they would bolt right on. Unfortunately, they did not because of the different offset. They sit in my garage collecting dust. Anybody what to buy a set of unused in the box cross-dilled rotors for an e38?? Cheap!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8Mania
    What parts on the Z8 came from the E65? THANK GOODNESS NOT THE STYLING!!!

Isnt the Z8 E52 and the E53 would have been the X5 right?

I recall talking to someone in Germany who mentioned that technology behind the wiring bus for the e65 were tested with the Z8. Luckily we don't have many of the electro gizmos that caused issues with so many of the early e65s. Since the Z8 came out first, it could be our one hand-me-down part.

Correct Z8 is e52 and X5 is e53. I was including e52 in my list for the unique parts.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    The Z8 is one of the coolest BMWs ever.

Actually, if we are getting serious, the Z8 is the coolest production BMW ever, no?

Certainly the 328 Mille Miglia was cooler, and I'd say is a shoo-in for the coolest BMW ever, but like the Andy Warhol M1 Art Car, it was a special, not a regular prduction car.

So what makes the Z8 the best of the best? Lets have a quick review of all the other amazing production BMW's.

The 328 - great if you're a dwarf, but way tiny if you are a normal sized person.
    The 507 - slow and heavy, and almost made irrelevant by the SL Roadster and Gullwing. (Only really saved by the Z8 suddenly making it cool again ;-) and of course Goetz's timeless and stunning design.)
    The 3.0csi - gorgeous, but a sedan - the Batmobile rocks, but it's a special.
    The M1 - cool, especially in track spec, but not a convertible.
    The Z1 - interesting, but gimmicky and ultimately just a rebodied 325.
    The M3/M5 - cool drivers cars, but a sedan can never be as special as a sports car.
    The Z3 & Z4 - fun, but just not pinnacle cars.

So, I rest my case, the Z8 is the coolest production BMW ever!
    Andrew Macpherson

You forgot the GS!

"Convertible"
    Can carry its weight in pax/gear
    Will shame many supercars
    Can go around the world

I'd take a 507 for my living room, btw. It would look great on the wall or as a nice table.
    thegunguy