Thread: Way beyond OT...

Way beyond OT...

but such an extraorinary story that I couldn't resist posting it. We all grew up on the Twightlight Zone and Star Trek, so it is easy to laugh at this, but that this address was made at the National Press Club means that there is something going on.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Ha! I was reading about this early today. Too funny.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    My guess is its some covert verification program.

Or maybe its beings from an alternate universe who have opened a door to ours

Or maybe its The Others

It really is an odd story. I have honestly never paid too much attention to the UFO thing, mostly because I've never seen one, and it is usually rather off the wall folks you hear saying them have. This story however seems to contain the rather curious reality of a large group of military personel all experiencing the same thing.

IF it is real, then it is a fascinating story. Why would these 'beings' want to warn us about our weapons systems? Could it be that if they can cross space, maybe they can also cross time, and they know what the consequence of the devices are? If not why would they target them in their visits? I do remember some year ago someone telling me that when Reagan was president he had the experince of being shadowed by a UFO while abord AF1, and it disturbed him enough to put the Star Wars program into action. I have no idea if that is fact or fiction, but it is one of those odd bits of info that has always remained in the back of the brain.
    Andrew Macpherson

I used to work for one of the largest US based, Air Ambulance services. One of our pilots was returning to the SFO area from Eureka, CA during the wee hours and was asked by ATC to vector here and there (they kept changing his flight path) and would ask if he had a visual on another craft of unknown origin. He never did see anything and when he landed, he called Bay Approach and asked what was up. They had a UFO on radar at high speed, constantly and abruptly changing course. They never did figure it out.

Weird.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8Mania
    Maybe they were all brain washed as part of an experiment?

When it comes to ET aliens, who knows, maybe they have some abilities and not others, maybe they have different logic from our own...

it would be arrogant to think we are the only life in the vastness of the universe

the genius of Chrichton's "Andromeda Strain" was to use the statistical odds, and made the first alien life-form to visit us a microorganism

you can dismiss the kooks, but with the diversity of nature (and man made technology) out there, often times well intentioned folks can be mistaken as well when they see something extra-ordinary

my friend at the observatory told me they get lots of calls every time Venus becomes visible low in the western sky ("a glowing disk, with flashing red and green and yellow lights")

a great site (if you ignore the fruit-salad colors and 'hoodwinked' title) lists out the solved & unsolved cases (see "Case Evaluations") and tons of additional info if you're interested in the topic, can be found here

has some info on UFO maneuvers as well!

I am actual quite interested in space and astronomy, and funnily enough this month a very cool story broke - http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.5733

Not exactly unexpeded for those of use interested in the formation of stars, their planetary discs, but now we have actually observed another potentially habitable planet and are starting to see that planets in the 'habitable zone' of any given star or sun are the norm, not the exception. However there's still no word on a propulsion system to enable us to pop over there for tea.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    However there's still no word on a propulsion system to enable us to pop over there for tea.
    They don't come this way because Starbucks already has several locations there.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    ... planets in the 'habitable zone' of any given star or sun are the norm ...
    The moon is in the habitable zone of our very own star, yet no life. The requirements for (intelligent) life are many, placing the odds equal to that of winning the lotto a dozen times in a row. Having said that, there are a lot of stars out there, so fingers crossed

The big questions is, if there is life out there, and it happens to be intelligent, how come they have not discovered us
    62050 - Z8

or the Z8???

Z8Mania
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    or the Z8???
    Now that is the question.

Why haven't they discovered us? Im sure there are many possibilities:

1- just too far away
    2- not advanced technologically
    3- some kind of prime directive against interfering with other societies below a certain level of development.
    4- etc

I agree that there are simply too many stars for we to be the only intelligent life out there (is that the correct grammar?)

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    3- some kind of prime directive against interfering with other societies below a certain level of development.
    Hmmmm, a sort of Universal cast system. I can go for that.

On a related note, I'm certain that one such intelligent society must have keen interest in various forms of transportation and speed. Afterall, you need both to explore the universe. I wonder what they would think of our Z8?
    62050 - Z8

If they design their interstellar crafts after feminine curves, animals, and coke bottles, they should love it.
    thegunguy

The thing that fascinates me is that radio waves, the only form of transmission or recognition we really have, travel at about the speed of light, so that is about how far 'out' we can see and 'hear'.

Imagine that we just started listening, and telegraphing in the last century, that means that only a hand full of stars are in earshot, and an answer will take another half century to get back to us. It is around 20,000 light years to the galactic center, so our 'answer' would be 40,000 years away, and an answer from the far side of our galaxy would arrive 100,000 years after transmission! The Andromeda galaxy is 2.2 million light years away, so an answer from our nearest galaxy would take 4.4 million years arrive!

If you haven't played with this little app it is well worth doing so, it really keeps things in perspective!

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/galaxy.html
    Andrew Macpherson

PS: What do you recon the chances are there'll be anyone here to answer the phone in 4.4 million years?

Homo Sapiens, Sapiens, us, is just 100,000 years old, and Lucy, our earliest ancestor is just 3.2 million years old!

Where, and what 'we' will be in 4.4 million years if we haven't destroyed ourselves or our home planet is quite a thought.
    Andrew Macpherson

PPS: Talking of time lines, this was also a good read...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-ramidus.html

That is almost exactly the time it would take to 'telegraph' the Andromeda Galaxy!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    Lots of good stuff.
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    I think visitors from another world would likely have a different aesthetic sense. I'm sure you could distill much of ours to a mathematical formula like the golden ratio- I remember reading some things about that when the Z8 first came out. They might also have a number system that is based on something other than 10. Just like how we think it would be arrogant to think we are the only intelligent life out there, my guess is that life could take a wildly different form or something more familiar.

They could also be highly logical and perhaps have different emotions- maybe they would think the Z8 isn't as efficient as it could be and its silly to sacrifice aerodynamics for style. The truth is its anyones guess.

The one thing I know for sure: if they want to show they have good taste, they will arrive in a Z8

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    ... I wonder what they would think of our Z8?
    i'm sure we'll get a check-mark in the "intelligent" box on that score ;-)

however, if they see the greed, violence, and general misery the inhabitants inflict on each other, not so sure...

as for visiting us - maybe there's a test we need to pass first (like in Arthur C. Clarke's "The Sentinel" (aka "2001"))

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    The big questions is, if there is life out there, and it happens to be intelligent, how come they have not discovered us
    They have and they are avoiding us like the plague.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black