Thread: Michelin PS3

Michelin PS3

Is anyone using PS3s? The Michelin guy here in Dubai tells me that these are the replacemetns for the PS2s in the size I need.

I'm off to do some further research

Sean
    2002 Black/Black

This is the first I've heard of them, but you got me looking, and I just found this excellent site, and it has a lot to read on tires.

Based on my own experience, and the info there I'd say that the Pirelli P Zero tires that many of us with 20" rims have fitted is a better tire. I've been very happy with my Pirellis, they haven't given me one moment of concern at any time, and seeing the tests here I'd be inclined to either stick with them, or try the Conti Sport Contact which have done exceptionally well in all the tests they link to.

(nb: since I don't use the Z8 on rainy days wet performance means nothing to me.)

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Turns out that the PS3 aren't available in the size of the new Hamann back rims, so I am chasing up on the Pirellis and Continentals.
    2002 Black/Black

Could also look into the Hankooks V12's

Z8Mania
    DO NOT GET PS3s.

I dont have the info handy now but I read a little while ago that they are not performance tires- they are actually an all season tire and the successor to PS2 will come out under a different name like "Pilot superawesome" or something like that. This is a big branding mistake by Michelin as everyone will assume the PS3 to be the successor to the PS2. For now there is no true successor. The PS3 is really the successor to the Pilot A/S.

Good call! Thanks for the heads up.

Z8Mania
    I really can't find the article but one of the custom shops I deal with has a good relationship with Michelin and they also told me what I said above.

If you look at the reviews, it's obviously skewed towards all-weather/season performance, versus an evolution of the PS2 (which is actually a pretty good wet tire in its own right). I do find it odd that they're making this move and diluting the PSX brand from its previous mission. Michelin did an awesome job with the PS2 in both development and OE placement. It is probably the #1 meat-and-potatoes performance tire of its day. It seems silly to abandon all the mindshare that they have built as such.
    thegunguy

What a pain trying to find tires in Dubai.

Initially Michelin said that they wouldnt even try, but got a hold of someone trying to put a set of PS2s together.

Pirelli is looking for some P Zeros

Conti says 1 month by air or 3-4 months by land to get the ContiSports.

I wish I was back home! I wonder if you can take 4 tires as carry on?
    2002 Black/Black

Rifle, Don't get me started on bonehead branding moves!

I can't believe it's so hard to get decent rubber in the middle east! Good luck.

Finally

Well after much faffing around I finally got the rims and the tires and got the whole thing mounted. Its a tale worthy of at least a couple of beers if any of you ever get to Dubai. I hope this photo works

2002 Black/Black

Wow, looks good, but the pic is small.
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, black wheels don't show up well in photos. Please put up more/larger pics! What suspension?

Z8Mania
    Glad you got it all set up. I also would like to see a larger picture. From the small pic you have there the car does look good!

Hamman rims

Here is a larger of the car in front of the Burj Khalifa (the same building as in the first shot, but from closer up and other side to catch morning light) - worlds tallest building.

Tires PS2s 245/40 ZR 19 and 275/35 ZR 19.

New Alpina suspension is on order as is the BMW performace kit that you all recommended. I hope to have that all installed by year end.

I'm really happy with how they turned out and they are much easier to keep clean-looking with the horrible road grime here.

Cheers

Sean

2002 Black/Black

Thanks, looks great. 19"s are a good size.

Z8 Madness
    Probably an illusion, but it seems like there is a big gap between the tires and the wheel well. I don't see as much on Norcal or thegunguy.
    62050 - Z8

It's the lighting. My car actually has much more than GG, as he has the Dinan suspension and I am now running the Euro Alpina setup. I used to run the AC Schnitzer setup, but switched for better ride and frame protection... but I loved the old super low look!

Probably the camera angle too. The other photos are looking down at the cars, which would hide/reduce the gap. I had to get low to the ground to try and get more of the Burj Khalifa in (other shots not posted).

I'm switching to the Alpina suspension as soon as all the parts arrive

Cheers

Sean
    2002 Black/Black

Z8 Madness
    Agree, it's the camera angle/lighting. Regardless, all three cars look awesome. I love the black color on Z8.
    62050 - Z8

The Alpina suspension is such an important and enjoyable upgrade, but you might want to try the H&R swaybars with it.

To any and everyone reading this I can't emphasize enough how important it is to use the Alpina suspension if you are changing the wheels.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    And as much as I would love to have the BMW motorsport wheels, I've decided to stick to the factory rims (with PS2s) for maximum frame protection. Can't really afford/justify another $10K+ for wheels/suspension.
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    I second Andrews point on the Alpina suspension. Has given new life to my Z8.

The car looks great. Well done. The wheels look great!

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    And as much as I would love to have the BMW motorsport wheels, I've decided to stick to the factory rims (with PS2s) for maximum frame protection. Can't really afford/justify another $10K+ for wheels/suspension.
    Not so sure the stock wheels are not part of the problem, they are so heavy.

Z8 Madness
    True, but the motorsport wheels are about the same weight, if I recall correctly.
    62050 - Z8

I think the Motor Sports are just a couple pounds lighter, but if they are, not by much. I've gone with much lighter wheels (13 lbs lighter per wheel) and we'll see how it all fares in the long run. Fingers crossed, frame damage would be an ugly biz.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

This is the tire we've been waiting for... as long as it comes in our sizes. Funny, it was released in Dubai!

The 285/30/20 (rears) seem to be already available at the tire rack, the fronts will come soon... hopefully.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&AID=10398365&

Fun vid, looks like I should have waited to replace those Pirellis, I just put the new ones on a couple of months ago! Ah well, next time.
    Andrew Macpherson

Me too! but in a couple years I'll switch.

Z8Mania
    That tire was developed exclusively for the 599 GTO.

Ahh, interesting. Well looks like they've got it on a bunch of other things in the vid now.

Be interesting to see if F1 will benefit Pirelli, not sure that Michelin ever really lived down pulling the entire Michelin shod F1 field at the US GP. I'd have been well miffed if I'd flown all the way there to see that!
    Andrew Macpherson

Too bad they werent available a couple of months ago, or I'd have them on now. You would have thought that the Michelin guys I spoke to hear would have told me to cool my jets if these were going to be available soon.

I think it'll be a while before they are available in Dubai, despite the testing at the autodrome
    2002 Black/Black

Z8Mania
    Take a look at the sizes on tire rack- just 285 and 315 for 20". Thats it. The 285s are the front tires for the GTO. They really try to reduce understeer. I've gotta say the regular GTB, when driven skillfully, doesn't understeer that badly- compared to most cars its pretty neutral. You just have to respect the power otherwise its oversteer time. 285s on the front, nuts!

Z8Mania
    Btw- in terms of these tires for the Z8- IMHO- maybe a good fit in a place thats got no rain, but these are basically semi track versions of the PS2. They won't be very good in the wet. I find the PS2 to be an excellent tire for everything except snow.