Thread: Oregon 2010 - The Movie!

Talking Oregon 2010 - The Movie!

Here is my edit, and hopefully as everyone else now has the raw footage you'll create your own versions and add them to the thread here.

Z8 Oregon Tour, Summer 2010 from Andrew Macpherson on Vimeo.

Video highlights of the BMW Z8 Summer Tour in Oregon. This group is united by the website at www.bmwz8.us, which is where the plan for this tour was hatched.
    The camera work was all done with GoPro HD Motorsport cameras. We weren't focused on making a film, in fact none of us really knew what to expect from them, we just tried to turn them on, not always a certain procedure, and let them roll during some of the drives. This little clip is not meant to be anything more than a reminder of an awesome drive!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew,

Great footage and good choice of background music.

What did you use to mount the camera and where did you mount it?

Is the rapid flashing of the turn signal at the 3:00 minute mark an effect of the neon VS HD format?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

The cameras were stuck all over the place using their own little suction cups, but most of the footage here was either windscreen or trunk mounted. Yes, the neon and the video capture seem to over-strobe each other in some weird way, at first it bugged me, but now I kind of love it as it adds to that 'party on wheels' feeling!
    Andrew Macpherson

Totally cool! Thank you. Particularly love all the cars pulling away from the rim at Crate Lake!

Awesome edit Andrew -- Ditto on the pulling away at Sunset at Crater Lake!! The high Speed footage was great to (mounted on the rear of my car i might add -- you guys look great !!

Just way too much fun i must say !!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Boo for no low angle shots! Obviously, you didn't have enough art directors!

Joking aside, nicely done. Good quality video is becoming so much more accessible. I'm glad to see us adding it to the usual documentation of drives.
    thegunguy

Be sure to watch to the very end for the best bit!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar
    Nice edit Andrew. I think I'm going to get me one of those then we can do multiple camera edits.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Mounting it low on the drivers side allows it to capture not only the left / right turning of the front wheels but the road which gives the illusion of speed.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Madness
    Very nice! Enjoyed it a lot.
    62050 - Z8

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    Mounting it low on the drivers side allows it to capture not only the left / right turning of the front wheels but the road which gives the illusion of speed.
    We didn't need any "illusions", we had the real thing!

Great job, Andrew. Thoroughly enjoyable and a great source of smiles for a long time to come. Many thanks for sharing this and your other creative memories of a wonderful trip.

we weren't speeding - it was the porsches - they went thata way --->

Scott, I'm guessing you never took the time to check out our old movies...

A clip of a Z8 at Buttonwillow Raceway from Andrew Macpherson on Vimeo.

This clip was made as a test of the 'Chase Cam' in Sept 2004. It was a DV8 capture system that's been completely superseded by the current GoPro range of on board equipment. The one advantage of the Chase Cam was very small and light, allowing for the possibility for more unusual placements.

Andrew Macpherson

The old "Eyeball" cam was actually some kind of webcam hooked up to a Hi8 camera via cat 5 and a hoard of wires and converters. The size is about the same, but very very different. The one good thing was it allowed me to use an external mic, which the hero does not.

Z8Mania
    Wonderful video! Well done. Andrew where do you find these songs? (yes I know its The Who's song- great cover)

How are the royalty police on Vimeo? Finding no-strings audio has been tough when I do videos from time to time. Even when I do get royalty-free stuff the policing firms tend to hound you anyway.
    thegunguy

I keep all my videos private, so they can only run on the sites that they are made for, and can't be passed around on the open web, and so far no problems.
    Andrew Macpherson

I agree with Ian, the Chase cam did take decent video and as Mac stated, allowed for some interesting placement and loved the external mic, as evidenced in the exhaust audio track in the video above -- after using the GoPro Hero on this trip, really wish it had somewhere to hook an external mic, even if it meant is was just a little bit bigger.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

The quality difference doesn't compare, you can read Erik & Edy's number plate going up the road to the caves with the GoPro's full res image (it is on everyones drives), while the old Chase cam was always blurry and soft, and an endless tangle of matted wires and annoying fixtures, which is exactly why it was never used again after that one time at Buttonwillow. I finally gave it away last Christmas to one of my assistants after it had sat for five years!

When people ask me what is the best camera to buy, my standard answer is, "The one you'll use the most." By that standard the Chase Cam was one of the worst cameras I've ever owned!

I can't wait to get the GoPro out again now I've seen how fun and easy it is. Oh, and Jeff & Ian, there is a firmware update for it that has just been released that should help make turning it on and off simpler!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    In terms of audio, you could use a separate recorder and then sync the sound in later in the computer. Yes, more work, but it could be worth it. Either way, thanks for sharing. Nicely done. With an artist's touch.

I've used the voice recorder with an external mic on the iPhone to do just that. Ironically, audio is the most frustrating thing about video. Thus the continual search for cheap royalty-free tracks.
    thegunguy