Thread: round front lights - cracked lens

Z8 Novice

round front lights - cracked lens

Anyone have any experience with the round lights on the front of the car? I just noticed a cracked glass cover on mine. BMW quoted me 1025.00 USD for a replacement (I assume the entire housing).

thanks
    raj

Sounds rather high to me. RealOEM suggests the housing for the high-beam to be about $200 (not always accurate, but usually close). I believe the high-beam is serviced by removing the grills, which are removed in about a minute. So, I'm guessing this would be less than an hour in labor. Again, that's my own guess.

Which service center quoted the repair?
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    yeah.. I see that as well. maybe a miss quote.

who is the best place to buy parts from these days? still the dealer with a 10% discount?
    raj

I try to stick with the dealer for the CCA discount and assurance of product, especially on Z8 parts, but I use various vendors for things from time to time.
    thegunguy

I've replaced mine twice- about ten minutes labor and $160-$180 for an original BMW replacement part. It hasn't cracked again since I placed the clear plastic lens protectors on them!

I think that first quote you got was also for the main sealed headlamp unit, thats about how much it costs.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Broke one of mine crossing Nevada in a thunderstorm. Can't remember how much it cost to fix. Never a problem since.

Z8 Novice

fwd round light

ok.. got the light housing after waiting 5 weeks.

how do you pop the grill and the light housing? I assume you have to do it from the front grill.

there are probably some instructions somewhere, so please let me know where perhaps. one in the owners manual.

thanks!
    raj

Let me know... I had the stealer do it.

Z8 Novice
    I will do.. I still have not found a way to remove the grill and or light safely... there must be a way, but I can't find any info on the net or in the manuals on how to do it. Obviously I don't want to crack the assy.

The plastic center slats of the grilles just pull out, they are 'click-in' plastic. I have never removed the lights, but maybe when you pop out the grilles there are some screws to remove the lamp holder?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    oh.. ok.. i saw that when I was playing with it last night. I just didn't want to break the slats - pulling to hard on them. I do see screwed behind the slats so i am sure once I get those off, I'll be golden..

thanks man!

Sport Button On
    Anyone know how to change the high beam bulbs?

Thanks.
    Rick

The Realoem site shows an exploded view of the high beam assembly: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_0609 As per the earlier postings on this thread as well as the Realoem picture, I am guessing that you have to remove the grille assembly and the headlight lens/housing to access the bulb. The grille slats snap on/off, and require a bit of force to remove. You should then be able to remove the chrome surround by taking out some screws, which should in turn make the headlight housing accessable. I have removed the grille slats and the surround, but not the headlight itself so I am only making an educated guess here. Good luck!

Bill